+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd leg tactics

2nd leg tactics

Now there has been 2 games against Fulham in recent weeks and both of them we have looked incapable of scoring.

The 433 doesn't seem to work, Hoilett can't get the better at all of Christie. Midfield seem no interest in showing for the ball apart from Tomlin, he had to come deep as Ralls and Pack can't do what he does.

I just think we aren't going to suddenly outplay Fulham.

For a one off game need to score at least 2 in I would try.

Smithies
    Morrison Flint Bamba
    Hoilett Bennett
    Bacuna. Vokes
    Tomlin
    Paterson Ward

I would suggest trying to be clever to win some fouls down the channels and then have got plenty to aim for from set pieces.

Its obviously not the most mobile of defences but look at the goal we conceded.

Its potentially a disaster waiting to happen but feel like we are going to go into it with same tactics hoping to sneak a goal and then grab another late on which has looked unlikely on the last 180 minutes.

Re: 2nd leg tactics

We've got to play how we've been playing since lockdown, we can't rip it up now. I watched our back 3 vs QPR

We'll have to assess Tomlin, he was absolutely knackered last night. We absolutely have to take our chances, be a bit braver and try to force the issue. I'd bring in Vaulks for Pack, and maybe push Bacuna into midfield if Tomlin won't last the full 90. We have to disrupt their passing and we have to make life difficult. We need a goal before 70 minutes but we have to start quickly with intent so Fulham don't start playing. I'd play Murphy and hope it comes off, he's got the ability.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Now there has been 2 games against Fulham in recent weeks and both of them we have looked incapable of scoring.

The 433 doesn't seem to work, Hoilett can't get the better at all of Christie. Midfield seem no interest in showing for the ball apart from Tomlin, he had to come deep as Ralls and Pack can't do what he does.

Smithies
    Morrison Flint Bamba
    Hoilett Bennett
    Bacuna. Vokes
    Tomlin
    Paterson Ward

I would suggest trying to be clever to win some fouls down the channels and then have got plenty to aim for from set pieces.

Its potentially a disaster waiting to happen but feel like we are going to go into it with same tactics hoping to sneak a goal and then grab another late on which has looked unlikely on the last 180 minutes.
    Flint and Paterson? You might as go for the full-set and throw Pack in as well. That way Fulham will be guaranteed in excess of 70% possession and a gluten of free kicks in their favour.

It will be the same tactics with a few changes. I think he will bring in Vaulks for Pack, Patterson for Glatzel and Murphy for NML

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    It will be the same tactics with a few changes. I think he will bring in Vaulks for Pack, Patterson for Glatzel and Murphy for NML
    If Patterson starts at Fulham it will just demonstrate how pathetically out of touch we are.
    I am beginning to give Harris the benefit of the doubt but that ...........

Smithies
    Morrison Flint Bamba
    Hoilett Bennett
    Bacuna. Vokes
    Tomlin
    Paterson Ward

Flint in for Nelson?

Who are our top 11 scorers? Play them.

I would start Vaulks instead of Pack and, perhaps surprisingly, I would recall Sanderson and put Bacuna back in midfield.

Will be interesting to see what we do, can't afford to let the match just pass us by but at the same time don't necessarily need to go gung ho from the start.

We absolutely need to press better and for longer, they gave the ball away in dangerous areas a couple of times the other week, we also forced Leeds into similar after lockdown.

We have had a few games where we have been quite clinical going forward, need everyone at their best to stand much chance of turning it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Flint and Paterson? You might as go for the full-set and throw Pack in as well. That way Fulham will be guaranteed in excess of 70% possession and a gluten of free kicks in their favour.
    Fulham had lots of free kicks and possession yesterday. My thinking was taking a risk that can create through long throws and set pieces when do have opportunities

Bamba, Flint, and Patterson up front and bombard the barstewards

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Bamba, Flint, and Patterson up front and bombard the barstewards
    Don’t forget Sam Vokes, the OP has slipped him in somehow

I would start Vaulks instead of Pack and, perhaps surprisingly, I would recall Sanderson and put Bacuna back in midfield.
    I think that will happen too, and maybe Ward, he's our best Striker goals per minute, he would have reacted quicker than Glatzel yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    I think that will happen too, and maybe Ward, he's our best Striker goals per minute, he would have reacted quicker than Glatzel yesterday.
    Unfortunately, Danny is the same as Robert ! They don't score (very rarely), when they start. Both score, when they come off the bench

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Unfortunately, Danny is the same as Robert ! They don't score (very rarely), when they start. Both score, when they come off the bench
    Bring both on 5 minutes in. Problem solved!

I’d do exactly this and swap Murphy for NML.

I’d also consider Paterson for Hoilett and go
    4-1-3-1-1

Etheridge up front

Smithies
    Morrison Flint Bamba
    Hoilett Bennett
    Bacuna. Vokes
    Tomlin
    Paterson Ward

As most have said definitely not this team. Also no Ralls? Think he was one of our better players last night and has been all season.

Having said that something needs to change. I think we need to start with two up top. We've got to go for it, even if it means getting caught early.

Smithies
    Morrison Flint Bamba
    Hoilett Bennett
    Bacuna. Vokes
    Tomlin
    Paterson Ward

I’d agree. Think we could play Fulham 20 times with last night’s team and not win once because they’re simply better than us.

Would not be against throwing in Patto just to mix things up and roll the dice

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    I’d agree. Think we could play Fulham 20 times with last night’s team and not win once because they’re simply better than us.
    Well, Barnsley and Hull have both beaten Fulham 3-0 this season.

Midfield seem no interest in showing for the ball apart from Tomlin, he had to come deep as Ralls
    We have to get Ralls deep into them from the off...

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Well, Barnsley and Hull have both beaten Fulham 3-0 this season.
    Noticed that earlier when I was trying to find a bit of hope to cling onto. First goal is crucial.

Also found that in the 8 home games where they've gone behind they've only won 1, drawn 1 and lost the other 6, so there's def some sort of weakness there.

I think it's important we start well like we have in the 2 recent games against them but take one of our chances this time!!! As soon as the games settles they'll get into a flow and we might struggle to get near them again.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Noticed that earlier when I was trying to find a bit of hope to cling onto. First goal is crucial.

Also found that in the 8 home games where they've gone behind they've only won 1, drawn 1 and lost the other 6, so there's def some sort of weakness there.

I think it's important we start well like we have in the 2 recent games against them but take one of our chances this time!!! As soon as the games settles they'll get into a flow and we might struggle to get near them again.
    We can start like we did but sustaining it is going to be difficult in my opinion, loads of chasing and reacting must be exhausting for the players. Fulham seem to work it out quite quickly as well.

I'd put Murphy in a central roll in the hope that he turns up and uses his pace to turn Fulham, none of our strikers have that ability.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post

Here's more tragic hope to cling onto. Did you see the Cheltenham v Northampton L2 play-off game? Cheltenham won the first-leg 2-0 at Northampton. I watched the 2nd game as Cheltenham are my local team and Northampton come roaring out the blocks, got an early goal and Cheltenham completely crumbled under the pressure. Northampton won 3-0 in the end but it could easily have been 4 or 5 they were so dominant. They also then won the final 4-0.

Mostly likely a one-off (first-time a 2-goal 1st-leg deficit has been overturned?) but a glimmer perhaps to keep us interested.