+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we even want promotion?

Do we even want promotion?

There’s a strong argument that states that if we were to be promoted, we’d have little time to prepare a squad capable of not embarrassing ourselves in the PL, not to mention that the existing players might even be exhausted after a play-off campaign.
    We might be annihilated with a record low score, too.
    I’ve been inclined to think along these lines, believing that we need a season or two more to evolve to a more modern style of play with a younger squad and I still would like that.
    However, the Coronavirus changes all of this.
    Mehmet had already stated that there wouldn’t be a lot of cash available to spend this summer and staying in the Championship in the aftermath of COVID-19 is only going to exacerbate that. Plus, it’s a bit bold of us to assume that we’d be competitive when there are teams coming down who are likely to have a lot more money than us in the Championship and whoever doesn’t go up out of Fulham, Brentford and Swansea will probably be up there next season.
    So, even if we were to get promoted, I think that purely for financial reasons, we really need a play off victory to ensure the long term survival of the club, as long as the club is sensible about money.

Re: Do we even want promotion?

Much as I was disappointed , you're right that we obviously aren't ready for the premiership. We've progressed and perhaps it's better to let that continue naturally with the aim of being promoted properly ( 1st or 2nd) next year.

The teams come a long way and needs to consolidate the improvement. Personally I'm worried about the new style because it fails as we saw last night against technically superior players, whereas Warnockball puts you in with a chance of getting round that difficulty.

Can we suceed in the championship with a more possession based more purist style ? Quite possibly and I hope so, but can we suceed against teams in the premiership on their own terms ? Not really unless we're going to spend the kind if money they do.

Therefore , if we can suceed next season under this style , we'd need a total rethink before playing the top teams.

My point is that we need the PL money, even if we’re only there for a season.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    My point is that we need the PL money, even if we’re only there for a season.
    We'd be no less prepared than our last two efforts. The club needs the money, it could be looking bleak. Vinny boy has lost a fortune last few months. Last night killed lots of season ticket sales I'd guess. Disastrous night.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    We'd be no less prepared than our last two efforts. The club needs the money, it could be looking bleak. Vinny boy has lost a fortune last few months. Last night killed lots of season ticket sales I'd guess. Disastrous night.
    This is the point: if we went up, as far as the board is concerned it would be just to grab the dosh. There's no ambition to build a side that could compete in the Premier. Let's face it if we went up now we could be forever tarnished with the infamy of being the worst club ever to have "graced" the Premier. Maybe we dodged a bullet last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    Don't you mean "no more prepared"?

Not a good year to go up in my my view, with so much uncertainty about, revenue, support , stadiums not being open , season ticket take up, merchandise sales all effected, all at risk, and sadly revenue is the beast that supports your survival in the Premier, I'm shocked we got as fare as we have this year ,Harris has done an exceptional job .

We’re still the only club to have been promoted twice to the premier league and never stayed up.

Without seriously strengthening the squad I’d be genuinely worried about where even one win would come from if we went up.

It’s amazing really. Who would have thought sheff utd would have done so well, and Norwich so terribly a year ago. It doesn’t seem to matter who finishes where in the championship.

It certainly would not be a fun ride. The club needs the money though. I'd like to see them use it to rebuld the team.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It’s amazing really. Who would have thought sheff utd would have done so well, and Norwich so terribly a year ago. It doesn’t seem to matter who finishes where in the championship.
    Quite right,Crystal Palace got up through the playoffs when we were Champions and are still there, the Jacks had 7 years after winning the Playoff’s, now the Villa have survived while Champions Norwich are relegated!
    Depends a lot on your Manager and who you buy such as Sheffield United,Burnley who spend less than us but are still in the Premier League!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Not a good year to go up in my my view, with so much uncertainty about, revenue, support , stadiums not being open , season ticket take up, merchandise sales all effected, all at risk, and sadly revenue is the beast that supports your survival in the Premier, I'm shocked we got as fare as we have this year ,Harris has done an exceptional job .
    Agree with most of the sentiments but, as well as he has done this year, I think we will struggle big time as Harris does not seem to have the vision for me.
    When you are in our position with money tight, an ageing squad, you really need a young player-manager who can convince players to join, who would otherwise decline.
    I am unsure if City have a 3 year plan or is that too forward looking for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Quite right,Crystal Palace got up through the playoffs when we were Champions and are still there, the Jacks had 7 years after winning the Playoff’s, now the Villa have survived while Champions Norwich are relegated!
    Depends a lot on your Manager and who you buy such as Sheffield United,Burnley who spend less than us but are still in the Premier League!
    Totally agree. The right coach-manager is vital

Far easier to rebuild with premier league money than championship money

I may be wrong in saying this but i didn't see any of this premier league money being put to good use on both occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Far easier to rebuild with premier league money than championship money
    We still have parachute payments coming on we could use to rebuild

This squad would get humiliated in the Premier League

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We still have parachute payments coming on we could use to rebuild

This squad would get humiliated in the Premier League
    This is my opinion too,although i don't think we have right people at the club to buy wisely

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I may be wrong in saying this but i didn't see any of this premier league money being put to good use on both occasions.
    last time round I thought we were fairly sensible.
    Murphy was young and highly rated and the same goes for Decordova Reid, the fact that one is no longer here and the other hasn't shown his best for us for some time has as much to do with the manager.
    Bacuna and Cunningham are championship level players, who we probably paid a bit too much for and there was never really much of a potential upside to those deals, however Bacuna has been decent for us lately.
    Smithies has been a good signing.
    And we'll never know how the Sala deal would have turned out.

In all honestly if we miraculously go up again, those are the kind of deals it would be sensible to make again, especially the Murphy, Decordova Reid and Sala ones. A bit more luck and a willingness to actually use the players to their strength and it could have been a bit different.

Tend to pay too much. but thats the price when you don't bring through any younger talent or have very astute scouts

No. This team and the club/supporters will be humiliated in the PL and we could do a "Derby" (or worse). The Fulham game/result was a blessing in disguise as it also prevented any possibility of a Swansea vs City play-off final. I don't care whether the Swans get promoted or not but to win promotion at City's expense in a play-off final....nightmare scenario!

Of course every club wants promotion to the Prem, it’s worth 200m, we are the biggest club in the playoffs, guaranteed 30k plus crowds, the other 3 struggle to get 20k, Capital of Wales it’s where we should be, it’s time we reached our potential!

biggest in some ways ...but we seem to have low ambitions

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Sheff Utd spent £64m and Norwich C just £8m according to TransferMarkt for the PL campaign.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    That is a good point , with huge loses around the corner due to Covid it would make sense to utilise any money like promotion or parachute revenues to survive.

Your point is well made about better scouting expenditure would be a better way forward, than excessive transfers and agency fees, next season.

To answer the thread in one word - YES

Let’s be honest we all want to win the play offs and go up , lying to yourself if you say otherwise. Worry about next season after it happens