+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A sense of Acceptance..

A sense of Acceptance..

If that's the correct phrase to use. We were well beaten last night in almost every department, the only position we could safely say where we match Fulham is goalkeeper. They were fitter, quicker and stronger, moved the ball without having to look up or take that extra touch, everything was done at pace, even anticipating second balls, They even bullied us at times, a trait that I've never associated with Fulham, they've certainly lost their soft underbelly.

What makes it easier for me isn't just last night's game, but also the game at craven cottage a couple of weeks previous where events turned out very similar, a bit like a boxer taking the rematch after a resounding loss with time to adjust, change tactics etc only to come up short again in the second bout, there's no disputing who the better fighter is.

Since watching City at championship level (At home) there aren't many teams who have beaten us well, no arguments, I recall reading and Wigan outclassing us, there have probably been others.The acceptance comes from the fact that after 20 minutes of putting it on them, in a punchers chance kind of way, we were out of the game. Fulham's pace on the ball absolutely destroyed us and in turn exhausted our midfield and back four. The only thing I will say about Fulham that would concern me if I supported them is that they don't really get behind teams, everything is done in front of the opposition with a tight midfield and defenders that step in to add that extra body whether defending or attacking. They're the best team I've seen down here this season.

Re: A sense of Acceptance..

I agree with you.

And Harris made it easier for Fulham with his team selection. Vaulks and Paterson (for Pack and Glatzel) should have started for their energy and strength imo. Apart from the first goal, I thought the back four had a solid game, but midfield was impotent and over-run. I wouldn't have started with Tomlin either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I agree with you.

And Harris made it easier for Fulham with his team selection. Vaulks and Paterson (for Pack and Glatzel) should have started for their energy and strength imo. Apart from the first goal, I thought the back four had a solid game, but midfield was impotent and over-run. I wouldn't have started with Tomlin either.
    Back four were ok for the best part, it was only until our midfield (who just couldn't cope) started to camp out in front of them that they started to have real problems, Morrison was in an awful position for their first goal, his position was where pack was. Dropping deeper and deeper is a sign of tiredness, i've done it plenty of times myself. Midfield were ruined, Tomlin looked done after 20 minutes due to the closing down he was having to do and because Fulham had a defender stepping in to his position when they had the ball, he just couldn't cope.

I think the more level headed and clued up fan knows they have more quality than us, and so they should theyve spent a lot of money assembling that squad both in transfer fees and wages. Some teams have their bogey side and ours is Fulham at the moment.

This season is like Malkys first in charge where we got to the play offs but didnt have the quality to overcome a better West Ham side over 2 legs. Its a free hit, we werent expecting play-offs, not at the point Warnock left anyway. Before the season started yes, but come November when Harris took over it was a long shot. Slowly but surely hes improved us picking up results on the way. 7 wins out of last 10 was some effort and I think he and the lads should be applauded for the way they have turned the season around.

With 2 or 3 signings we are a decent side. Weve got a good keeper, 2 good keepers in fact, 2 excellent centre halfs for this level, some good wingers, we need a bit more creativity so we are not so reliant on Tomlin, a striker and a right back and we are not a million miles away. I would expect us to be there or thereabouts again.

One of my clients is a Fulham fan, home and away, and we were discussing the game this morning and I said to him at 1-0 you just sucked the life out of the game which surprised me as everytime they attacked with intent they looked dangerous, but they were happy to go 20-30 passes along the back four slowing the game down.

He actually said to me it really pisses him off. pass-pass-pass, get to half way line, go back to keeper, he thinks with the quality theyve got in this division they should be attacking teams more. I agree, whilst we all want to see City pass the ball more passing it side to side at that pace is not football I enjoy watching.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I think the more level headed and clued up fan knows they have more quality than us, and so they should theyve spent a lot of money assembling that squad both in transfer fees and wages. Some teams have their bogey side and ours is Fulham at the moment.

This season is like Malkys first in charge where we got to the play offs but didnt have the quality to overcome a better West Ham side over 2 legs. Its a free hit, we werent expecting play-offs, not at the point Warnock left anyway. Before the season started yes, but come November when Harris took over it was a long shot. Slowly but surely hes improved us picking up results on the way. 7 wins out of last 10 was some effort and I think he and the lads should be applauded for the way they have turned the season around.

With 2 or 3 signings we are a decent side. Weve got a good keeper, 2 good keepers in fact, 2 excellent centre halfs for this level, some good wingers, we need a bit more creativity so we are not so reliant on Tomlin, a striker and a right back and we are not a million miles away. I would expect us to be there or thereabouts again.
    Very Well said!

Fulham's record when they concede first is not that impressive apparently and it might be that it would have been a very different game if Glatzel's early chance went in. I've seen Fulham about eight or nine times this season and that was the best performance I've seen from them - strangely, the stand out display before that was their 3-0 defeat to Leeds.

I don't think Fulham are as good as they looked last night - most Championship sides are better placed to to come up with something else to worry them if Plan A isn't working, but we're still too one dimensional I'm afraid and Blackburn and Fulham (twice) have made us look very ordinary during our strong finish to the season.

I didn't see this game as I was driving to work, then flat out in work... But I'd already accepted the fact we wouldn't get through the play offs before a ball was kicked, hence why I haven't joined the messes of hysteric idiots that have been posting since half time in the game..

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Back four were ok for the best part, it was only until our midfield (who just couldn't cope) started to camp out in front of them that they started to have real problems, Morrison was in an awful position for their first goal, his position was where pack was. Dropping deeper and deeper is a sign of tiredness, i've done it plenty of times myself. Midfield were ruined, Tomlin looked done after 20 minutes due to the closing down he was having to do and because Fulham had a defender stepping in to his position when they had the ball, he just couldn't cope.
    Bamba would have made sure Morrison was doing his job. It's interesting how Nelson seems the one to do all the talking though Morrison is his senior in all respects - but he isn't anywhere near as effective and organizing as a fully-fit Bamba..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    but he isn't anywhere near as effective and organizing as a fully-fit Bamba..
    Alas,I don't think we'll ever see that again.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Bamba would have made sure Morrison was doing his job. It's interesting how Nelson seems the one to do all the talking though Morrison is his senior in all respects - but he isn't anywhere near as effective and organizing as a fully-fit Bamba..
    The Bamba that organises but still has to make use of his inspector gadget like long legs to make recovery tackles after being caught out of position?

Lot of love for Bamba, good player, probably won't see as much game time due to his age but let's not make out he is some kind of super hero on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    The Bamba that organises but still has to make use of his inspector gadget like long legs to make recovery tackles after being caught out of position?

Lot of love for Bamba, good player, probably won't see as much game time due to his age but let's not make out he is some kind of super hero on the pitch.
    His best days are behind him. At his age coming off a terrible injury Im sure he acknowledges that himself.

A 10-15 cameo like we saw at Bristol City recently to hold onto a lead and he cant still do a job for us but thats about it imo.

They lost 3 nil at home to Barnsley just before the lockdown.
    So why did we put up such as poor show.?

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    City drew 0-0 with relegated Charlton less than a month ago. Isolated results don't mean a great deal in the Championship.

The fact is that Fulham are unbeaten in eight games and have kept five clean sheets in their last seven. They're in a decent form.

Are we really just a few players from a promotion challenging team? I'd envisage Smithies, the two centre halves and Tomlin as part of a top 2 team, there are asterisks of varying sizes against the wingers and midfield and we need a centre forward, probably two. I realise we still have players from the success two years ago but that was a specific time and situation. We're a pretty decent team at times but not that decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Are we really just a few players from a promotion challenging team? I'd envisage Smithies, the two centre halves and Tomlin as part of a top 2 team, there are asterisks of varying sizes against the wingers and midfield and we need a centre forward, probably two. I realise we still have players from the success two years ago but that was a specific time and situation. We're a pretty decent team at times but not that decent.
    Well after a poor start we still finished 5th this season behind Leeds, WBA, Fulham and Brentford. 3 of those sides are most likely to be leaving the division so that means only 1 team had a better season than us who is going to start next season in the Championship. Obviously theres 3 teams dropping down from the Prem but how much ambition is there going to be shown from those clubs? Watford are a circus, Norwich have spent 12 months getting beaten and Bournemouth could well have a new manager and a fire sale. Who knows. There hasnt been a team who have bounced straight back to the Prem since Newcastle in the 16/17 season. Theres been bigger, more established clubs struggle to strike back at the first attempt. If Harris is allowed to keep his best players and add 2/3 more theres no reason we shouldnt be pushing for promotion next season.

Weve just beaten the likes of Derby, Bristol City and Preston convincingly, if Swansea fail to get promoted will Ayew be off? Will they be able to loan the same players next year? Will Liverpool want Brewster to go to a Prem Club to further his development?

Stoke might be ones to watch next season, I dont see them struggling like they did for large parts of this season.

Come on fella, how many years have you watched us in the Championship? The Championship doesnt work like that. Its not the Premier League, theres no bankers in this division. Anyone can beat anyone on their day. Barnsley murdered Leeds a couple of weeks ago at Elland Road but Leeds scraped a lucky 1-0.

For City to beat a Fulham side with more quality we simply have to be on our game 100% and they need to be off the pace a little. Unfortunately, after the first 25 minutes it was the opposite. Fulham grew into the game and 2nd half they were really at it whilst we had 4,5,6 players who didnt show up for the 2nd half. It happens, its football.

as mentioned it is an unpredictable league lets not forget we might Leeds only a few weeks ago who won the league

as for the football in general our manager has picked up a warnock type team so we are hardly going to play the modern way anytime soon

I can see Bournemouth and Norwich walking this league next season both sides playing the attractive fast flowing football thats pleasing to the eye not just side to side but movement with purpose .Just hope what ever happens we go down that route in the coming years

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    as mentioned it is an unpredictable league lets not forget we might Leeds only a few weeks ago who won the league

as for the football in general our manager has picked up a warnock type team so we are hardly going to play the modern way anytime soon

I can see Bournemouth and Norwich walking this league next season both sides playing the attractive fast flowing football thats pleasing to the eye not just side to side but movement with purpose .Just hope what ever happens we go down that route in the coming years
    Bournemouth will be nowhere near walking the league next season, not convinced Norwich will either if they lose the likes of Aarons, Buendia, Godfrey and Cantwell.

The financial situation at Bournemouth doesn't look great, I read an article earlier which suggested they owe 80m in transfer fees and are owed 5m, compounded by the fact their players don't have wage reductions in case of relegation and 88% of their revenue is made up of PL TV money it could be a long way back for them if they can't get buyers for their players (though Ake looks like he's off)

I am pretty confident of our chances next year if we lose to Fulham, The league doesn't look that strong on paper and the financial crisis will strengthen our position as we don't need much of a rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Bournemouth will be nowhere near walking the league next season, not convinced Norwich will either if they lose the likes of Aarons, Buendia, Godfrey and Cantwell.

The financial situation at Bournemouth doesn't look great, I read an article earlier which suggested they owe 80m in transfer fees and are owed 5m, compounded by the fact their players don't have wage reductions in case of relegation and 88% of their revenue is made up of PL TV money it could be a long way back for them if they can't get buyers for their players (though Ake looks like he's off)

I am pretty confident of our chances next year if we lose to Fulham, The league doesn't look that strong on paper and the financial crisis will strengthen our position as we don't need much of a rebuild
    Yeah I’m with this. The relegated teams always start as favourites along with any big clubs left in the division ie Leeds, Villa, West Brom, Stoke but it rarely works out that way. So used to losing some clubs get relegated a second year on the bounce. Huddersfield have really struggled this year. What would stand both in good stead is if they stick with their managers as they are the manager that got them promoted, although that didn’t really help Warnock this year.

just a different class , with a players we could never purchase.

Fulham Market value 121 million.

Cardiff City Market Value 43 million.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/card...yse/verein/603

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-fulham/marktwertanalyse/verein/931

One this has nothing to do with the other. Champions Liverpool lost 3-0 to Watford who got relegated. It's meaningless. We've been soundly beaten by Fulham twice in the last few weeks. I don't for one second think that Neil Harris didn't do everything he could to try to effect a different outcome last night. There's just nothing that could be done. We don't have the talent. However, I don't think we put up a poor show. We started well, failed to capitalize, and then had the game wrestled away from us. We eventually got strangled by their passing, their pace, their strength and their quality. I see no shame in it.

I’ll be glad if they go up

I believe that our ageing squad needs a major rebuild!
    We’ve muscled ourselves into 5th place, but with each passing year (no pun intended), our playing style becomes more old hat.
    As many had said, this is a very unpredictable league, so to assume that we’re going to be in the promotion mix with this team is dangerous.
    What’s clear is that the top 6 is increasingly made of teams that play the modern way.