+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Justified or not?

Justified or not?

i'd love there to be a method whereby Villa were relegated and Bournemouth stayed up, but can't help thinking that this sort of thing would become the norm every season if a challenge like this was ever upheld.
    That said, this is different, because the company responsible has come out and apologised for their error. VAR should be reliable enough to make blunders like this impossible and, until it can do that, I would prefer to see it shelved for now.
    A lot of people will be breathing a sigh of relief that 2019/20 will go down in history as the Covid 19 season, because it was heading towards being remembered as the VAR farce season until early March.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53571916

Re: Justified or not?

Who is to say they would have won the game? VAR to my way of thinking is not good for the game anyway. They cannot alter the result so it’s totally frivolous to even think of going down that route.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    i'd love there to be a method whereby Villa were relegated and Bournemouth stayed up, but can't help thinking that this sort of thing would become the norm every season if a challenge like this was ever upheld.
    That said, this is different, because the company responsible has come out and apologised for their error. VAR should be reliable enough to make blunders like this impossible and, until it can do that, I would prefer to see it shelved for now.
    A lot of people will be breathing a sigh of relief that 2019/20 will go down in history as the Covid 19 season, because it was heading towards being remembered as the VAR farce season until early March.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53571916
    Two points. If VAR is going to be used, it should only be for offside/goal-line incidents, in other words non-subjective. Second, because goal-line decisions ARE non-subjective, then I would argue strongly that Bournemouth have a case - at least for some financial compensation..

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Who is to say they would have won the game? VAR to my way of thinking is not good for the game anyway. They cannot alter the result so it’s totally frivolous to even think of going down that route.
    There was 8.5 games left at the time of the error. Had it been the very last minute of the very last game they may have a case but its a nonsense to suggest that goal standing would have saved them.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    There was 8.5 games left at the time of the error. Had it been the very last minute of the very last game they may have a case but its a nonsense to suggest that goal standing would have saved them.
    Absolutely. In addition, they should be asking themselves why they only started showing some urgency when they were deep in the mire. Had they performed like they did at Man City and Everton more often, they would have survived comfortably.

I was furious at the Chelsea equaliser last season, but never blamed relegation on it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Even if it was the last game, they'd have no case. It is madness to suggest a season hinges on one single incident. What next, sue a striker who missed a sitter?

The problem with that Sheff U goal was not so much that technology failed, but the fact that the officials relied on the technology to an extent they made no decision. The ref just pointed to his watch and said no goal.

Aren't they looking for financial compensation rather than a change in the outcome ?

If they change the outcome, they they should put us back in the Prem, plus compensate us for last year's money that we should have had, /due to that howler of an offside goal by Chelski that robbed us of 3 points (not to mention the dozen or so other cock-ups by officials last time we were in the Prem.