+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Squad

Our Squad

We've done pretty well to be where we are, but whichever league we are playing in next season there is serious work to do to the squad over the summer.

squad.jpg

despite having recently having the riches of the premier league at our disposal very recently we've ended up in a bit of a mess.
    We have half a dozen players in the last year of their contract, where we really should be looking to bring in a replacement.
    Far too many of the squad are 30+ and past their peak - we only have 1 player under 25, at a time when squads across the top 2 leagues are getting younger than ever on average.

We have 1 part time right back and the average age of our centre backs is over 30.

I think all of our players are pretty capable at this level (if not outstanding) but we really cannot afford too many dud signings over the summer.

Re: Our Squad

From that I'd cash in on Etheridge. Accept a bag of milkybar buttons for Flint. Bamba won't play for us again. We're weak in the full back areas, have been for seasons. Sell Pack, Murphy, Mendez-Laing, Whyte, Vassell, Glatzel and Paterson and create a new attacking line up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    From that I'd cash in on Etheridge. Accept a bag of milkybar buttons for Flint. Bamba won't play for us again. We're weak in the full back areas, have been for seasons. Sell Pack, Murphy, Mendez-Laing, Whyte, Vassell, Glatzel and Paterson and create a new attacking line up.
    so you'd sell all of our strikers and all of our right wingers?

both of our left wingers only have a year left and they are getting on a bit so we need to sign there, or perhaps bring through a youngster, now there's a thought.
    first we should be getting a right back

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    so you'd sell all of our strikers and all of our right wingers?

both of our left wingers only have a year left and they are getting on a bit so we need to sign there, or perhaps bring through a youngster, now there's a thought.
    first we should be getting a right back
    Whyte clearly isn't fancied. I don't rate him in an attacking sense. Mendez-Laing has been poor for most of this season. Murphy too. Only Hoilett of our forward players has had a good season.

Glatzel might work as back up. Ward is a sub. We haven't got a decent striker for this level.

There wont be major changes as we havent the money.

We need Flint Glatzel Vassell Pack off the books. Wed be lucky to get a fee for any of them. Plus even on a free they probably are happy with their contacts.

It just goes to show the short term nature of Warnock’s management of the team.
    The team is lacking in pace, so for me, we should also be shifting Pack and a replacement for Tomlin is desperately needed. He can’t maintain the levels of fitness to give us 90 minutes on a regular basis, so he’s one for the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Whyte clearly isn't fancied. I don't rate him in an attacking sense. Mendez-Laing has been poor for most of this season. Murphy too. Only Hoilett of our forward players has had a good season.

Glatzel might work as back up. Ward is a sub. We haven't got a decent striker for this level.
    I got the contract dates from transfermarkt, who say that Ward is out of contract in the summer? that could be wrong though

I got the contract dates from transfermarkt, who say that Ward is out of contract in the summer? that could be wrong though
    There was an agreement that Ward's contract would be extended to cover up until the end of this season. I would be thinking of accepting reasonable bids for anyone who has a year left on their deals and a few who have two years left, while it's hard to see a future for Gavin Whyte at the moment under the current management.

That chart really emphasises that we have the oldest squad in the division and that seems an odd way of going about things for a club that has the worst possession and passing stats in the Championships and, seemingly, are perfectly happy to let the opposition have the ball.

Duplicate.

Tan must be ploughing in millions just to keep the club float. I agree the squad needs an injection of young talent but where is the money to come from? Tan has deep pockets but there must be a limit on the amount he has to spend.

We all know that no players will come from the academy so we really are in a mess.

We absolutely need a right back.

We should probably be bringing in a left back and a centre back, preferably bring some youngsters through if we have any (didn't we have a promising left back?)

We need a bit more creativity in midfield, as Tomlin isn't going to suddenly become able to play every game as he gets even older.

Right back is the immediate concern, how we have gone a few windows without addressing it is a mystery. Sanderson is hopefully a stop gap until we can sign someone permanently, I have a feeling we'll end up with Gunter.

Looking at the ages of some of our players really puts into perspective how badly we ****ed up last summer by letting Warnock waste the budget on players like Flint and Pack, we're stuck with them until they're both well into their thirties and I doubt we'll be able to get fees for them

Quite depressing to look at really. Squad's a bit of a mess

Well done "Sir Neil" for lumbering us with ageing shite on big contracts

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Right back is the immediate concern, how we have gone a few windows without addressing it is a mystery. Sanderson is hopefully a stop gap until we can sign someone permanently, I have a feeling we'll end up with Gunter.

Looking at the ages of some of our players really puts into perspective how badly we ****ed up last summer by letting Warnock waste the budget on players like Flint and Pack, we're stuck with them until they're both well into their thirties and I doubt we'll be able to get fees for them
    Gunter is already 31, the last thing we need in that defence is another player in their thirties, past their peak and not able to play full seasons, so huge chunks of the wage budget are effectively under utilised.

I'd prefer someone young with a lot of potential from league one

In reality we’ll struggle to sell any of our players, we only need a right back, Paterson or Bacuna can back up, a real striker is a must,Glatzel and Ward as back ups, an alternative to Tomlin who can’t play for 90 minutes and a winger if we can shift any of our 4?
    We can hopefully get something for Etheridge,Bennett or Cunningham and shift Flint or Bamba and hopefully Pack!

Gunter is already 31, the last thing we need in that defence is another player in their thirties, past their peak and not able to play full seasons, so huge chunks of the wage budget are effectively under utilised.

I'd prefer someone young with a lot of potential from league one
    Believe me I do not want Gunter either, but given he's free and has ties to the club I can see it happening.

Given that our budget will be lower this summer I do hope Harris looks for younger players from either this league or in league 1. Any more players in their thirties is the equivalent of kicking the can down the road and we'll end up in a mess in two years time

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Believe me I do not want Gunter either, but given he's free and has ties to the club I can see it happening.

Given that our budget will be lower this summer I do hope Harris looks for younger players from either this league or in league 1. Any more players in their thirties is the equivalent of kicking the can down the road and we'll end up in a mess in two years time
    I don't totally blame the manager (NW) for going for older players, if they need time to develop they could be out of the door before they've found their feet, so it's understandable.
    that's why it shouldn't be left to the manager to bring in the players. the average manager duration in the EFL is less than ,18 months, so there's never that much incentive to develop youth.
    a director of football who is there for a much longer term would fix a lot of these issues

Hard to believe Whyte has still got 3 years left isn't it? Unfortunately as we are top end of the Championship we probably pay well and players like Bamba and Flint are on big wages. And we won't be able to offload them probably. We do need 3 full backs, two on the right and one on the left. Another two centre backs, 2 midfielders, a winger and two strikers. But of course we'd need to offload, Day, Flint, Bamba, Whyte, Glatzel, Tomlin, Paterson and a few more to clear the decks. Tomlin? To coin a phrase, he's not the Messiah even if he was top scorer. I wonder what he'd be worth if he could play for 90 minutes. If we don't go up they'll all stay, but how many of our squad could cut it int he PL?

There's a few Wigan players I wouldn't mind signing but we'll need to be quick as others are sniffing around. There's also that forward who refused to extend his contract at Charlton. He looked decent as does Karlan Grant at Huddersfield. Toney at Peterbourough is also a decent forward.

Maybe Harris will change from wingers when he gets a decent chance to shape the squad.

We may end up with one or two from Millwall with Harris’s contacts. Can’t see us spending much on transfer fees

Try and get money for Bennett, Murphy and Etheridge

Try and move Flint, Bamba, Pack

Loan out Whyte

The players who signed new contracts or contract extensions after we got promoted are most likely earning more here than they could elsewhere. We'll struggle to offload any of them, unless we want to pay them to play for another club.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    There's a few Wigan players I wouldn't mind signing but we'll need to be quick as others are sniffing around. There's also that forward who refused to extend his contract at Charlton. He looked decent as does Karlan Grant at Huddersfield. Toney at Peterbourough is also a decent forward.

Maybe Harris will change from wingers when he gets a decent chance to shape the squad.
    Lyle Taylor?

I don't totally blame the manager (NW) for going for older players, if they need time to develop they could be out of the door before they've found their feet, so it's understandable.
    that's why it shouldn't be left to the manager to bring in the players. the average manager duration in the EFL is less than ,18 months, so there's never that much incentive to develop youth.
    a director of football who is there for a much longer term would fix a lot of these issues
    To be honest if Gunter is available for free I would take him on a 2 year contract.
    We definitely need to develop and also bring in some younger players but I cannot see that happening in one summer period.
    With Gunter we could move Bacuna into midfield and start to shape the team. A striker must be our main focus

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    To be honest if Gunter is available for free I would take him on a 2 year contract.
    We definitely need to develop and also bring in some younger players but I cannot see that happening in one summer period.
    With Gunter we could move Bacuna into midfield and start to shape the team. A striker must be our main focus
    It might be a cheaper option whilst we rebuild.