+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Roads

Roads

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/186...anes/?ref=fbpg

From time to time congestion on our roads becomes a topic of discussion. In Southampton there are major plans that are set to make it harder to drive into the city centre but will make using bicycles and public transport much easier.

Thought this is an interesting read. For those less inclined, it basically says that studies have shown that creating more room for cars only results in more congestion, not the opposite.

Re: Roads

As someone who has been travelling to Tenby regularly since the 70s, I can say with confidence that more capacity on the road reduces congestion. Anyone who has queued at St Clears crossroad for an hour waiting for the lights to change, or was in the queue to go over the pontoon bridge at Carmarthen will agree that getting to Pembrokshire is a piece of pee compared to those days and that's with the increased volume of cars on the road.

Population increases, greater affordability of cars, higher employment levels(pre covid), home shopping, availability of recreational facilities and time to pursue them, fear of being mugged walking etc. drives congestion, not wider roads.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gifaffe View Post
    As someone who has been travelling to Tenby regularly since the 70s, I can say with confidence that more capacity on the road reduces congestion. Anyone who has queued at St Clears crossroad for an hour waiting for the lights to change, or was in the queue to go over the pontoon bridge at Carmarthen will agree that getting to Pembrokshire is a piece of pee compared to those days and that's with the increased volume of cars on the road.

Population increases, greater affordability of cars, higher employment levels(pre covid), home shopping, availability of recreational facilities and time to pursue them, fear of being mugged walking etc. drives congestion, not wider roads.
    That one’s slightly different in that it’s a tourist thoroughfare and was desperately in need of a capacity increase whereas the Southampton one is going to be more focussed in local/commuting traffic.
    I have fond memories of my Dad pointing at the Datsun garage in St Clears every single time we passed it and saying “Look at dat, son”... 🤪

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    That one’s slightly different in that it’s a tourist thoroughfare and was desperately in need of a capacity increase whereas the Southampton one is going to be more focussed in local/commuting traffic.
    I have fond memories of my Dad pointing at the Datsun garage in St Clears every single time we passed it and saying “Look at dat, son”... ��
    A classic of the genre.
    I take great delight in asking my kids every time we drive past the "what" shop, "what's that shop there", "What shop", "that one by there", "its the what shop", "yes that's what I want to know" etc etc etc etc

Indeed, but this letter was talking in terms of using existing roads to accommodate more cars. In terms of Cardiff, there isn't the space to build any more roads. You could build 6 lane motorways linking villages in Pembrokeshire and have lots of space left over!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    A classic of the genre.
    I take great delight in asking my kids every time we drive past the "what" shop, "what's that shop there", "What shop", "that one by there", "its the what shop", "yes that's what I want to know" etc etc etc etc
    Indeed. I do the same with "What's the next shop?"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Indeed. I do the same with "What's the next shop?"
    Yes, can't wait to unleash that on their unsuspecting faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    A classic of the genre.
    My favourite one driving down the motorway is to shout 'hey' whenever I see a hay wagon. Loads about this time of year.

My favourite one driving down the motorway is to shout 'hey' whenever I see a hay wagon. Loads about this time of year.
    It's no wonder they don't want to speak to us any more by the time they're teenagers

Yeah I fell into the not inclined to read it category. Commissioned reports tend to support agendas, such as the one that said buying Cardiff airport and subsiding flights back and fore to Anglesey was a good idea.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Not sure what to say about the Phuc Dat hotel as we went past
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have fond memories of my Dad pointing at the Datsun garage in St Clears every single time we passed it and saying “Look at dat, son”... 🤪
    Being stuck at St Clears was always the cue for my dad to ask his favourite holiday joke - What's the quickest way to get to Tenby?.......Oneby, Twoby, Threeby.....

My old man used to drive coach holidays in Scotland. One of his gags involved holding a tissue or hanky in one hand and touching one of the windows with another. He'd do this in Glencoe. All the punters would be in position, listening to a cassette with a tale of bloody clan massacre from the glen, complete with sound effects. He'd then pick up the mic and ask if they all felt the pain. The tissues were to wipe the fingerprints off the windows...

One guy went to a t-shirt designer and had one printed with "I felt the pane with (my dad's name)"

I have fond memories of my Dad pointing at the Datsun garage in St Clears every single time we passed it and saying “Look at dat, son”... ��
    I don't think we had a single fish based meal when I was living at home without my dad saying "there's something fishy about this"