+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Laminate floor recommendations, please

Laminate floor recommendations, please

We are about to lay laminate flooring in the living room and I'd be grateful for your recommendations please.
    Requirements: high traffic area; scratch-resistant; easy to lay; not grey or light-wood effect. Prefer some texture. Not looking for cheap options.
    What would you recommend and who stocks it, please.

Re: Laminate floor recommendations, please

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    We are about to lay laminate flooring in the living room and I'd be grateful for your recommendations please.
    Requirements: high traffic area; scratch-resistant; easy to lay; not grey or light-wood effect. Prefer some texture. Not looking for cheap options.
    Go to B&Q. They have a huge choice, all sorts of price range/quality.

I put down some Pergo flooring in a previous house a long time ago, and that seemed pretty good at the time, but that was 20 years ago, I'm sure things have changed since then.

WAT Flooring in Grangetown

Forget laminate flooring

Look at LVP

top end stuff is Karndean, loads of choices though, wickes do it, Howdens stuff appears to be well reviewed

if you get the loose lay stuff, if a plank gets damaged you can just lift the plank and put a new one down, Karndean advise to " tackify " around the edges, personally for the price of it, i put it down all over the floor

you can of course get the click stuff, which is even more like the laminate stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    WAT Flooring in Grangetown
    What flooring?

Get a decent carpet!!!!

Have you got a Costco card? The laminate there is around 14 quid per square meter, 14mm thick, has foam underlay attached, looks very good and has a 30 year domestic warranty

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Go to B&Q. They have a huge choice, all sorts of price range/quality.
    No!!!! The stuff they stock is shite! Poor quality, easily broken, ships everywhere, awful customer service.

I'd get LVT. They level the floor off and glue it down. Doesn't get damaged then like your typical laminate does.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Forget laminate flooring

Look at LVP

top end stuff is Karndean, loads of choices though, wickes do it, Howdens stuff appears to be well reviewed

if you get the loose lay stuff, if a plank gets damaged you can just lift the plank and put a new one down, Karndean advise to " tackify " around the edges, personally for the price of it, i put it down all over the floor

you can of course get the click stuff, which is even more like the laminate stuff
    or Amtico. We've got it in our kitchen. W.A.T. Flooring as prev. mentioned above..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    or Amtico. We've got it in our kitchen. W.A.T. Flooring as prev. mentioned above..
    indeed, Amtico are top end aswell if not the top end

My recommendation is - don't do it.

Carpet for me.

@Joe Gillis and A Quiet Monkfish
    Thanks for the advice. Visited WAT this morning and placed order. A good selection of quality stuff

Thanks for the advice. Visited WAT this morning and placed order. A good selection of quality stuff
    what did you go for in the end ? ? ? ? Lam or LVP

You're welcome, I did my kitchen out with Amtico from WAT, they did a top job.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    what did you go for in the end ? ? ? ? Lam or LVP
    Laminate.
    I was put off by the 'sticking it down/tackify' comments re: LVP.
    Laminate 'floats' ie expands and contracts. It needs to move - which is why spacers/wedges are used around the edges.
    If any LAM piece is damaged, it's a relatively easy job to replace it - done it a couple of times.
    We'll have rugs strategically placed around the room anyway and will stick felt on the feet of the tables and TV console etc.
    WAT only stock Quickstep LAM. Quickstep supply the sheds (B&Q etc) with a range which is just for them. There was a range of prices at WAT and a good selection. They are in drawers which you can pull out - but you can take the samples out to the door to view them in daylight. And they have matching edging - which is an issue at B&Q as someone said.
    Thanks for all your thoughts, guys!