+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Great effort, ultimately paying the price for not having quite enough quality up front

Great effort, ultimately paying the price for not having quite enough quality up front

I didn't expect us to win the game this evening, I thought we'd get thumped, goal down early on and the game would fade. Harris was right. They did come out fighting tonight. The spirit in that squad of players is exceptional, that probably carried us into the top 6 as it was.

I'm not bothered about missing out on the Premier League. Perhaps I've got more pragmatic as I've aged.

Tonight, now it has been so close, has been to a certain degree about "what ifs". What if Glatzel had scored in the first leg? What if Murphy had taken his time to pick a spot? Not picking on either or singling them out, I'm just using examples. A bit more quality up front might have got us the extra goal this evening. We had them rattled.

Still, no problems being in the Championship and being number 1 club in Wales again.

Re: Great effort, ultimately paying the price for not having quite enough quality up front

Fulham's second goal came from a free kick, that wasn't a foul. The player just ran into Morrison, and bounced off. Hardly a free kick.

Re: Great effort, ultimately paying the price for not having quite enough quality up front

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Fulham's second goal came from a free kick, that wasn't a foul. The player just ran into Morrison, and bounced off. Hardly a free kick.
    Our first tonight came after a foul throw. Swings and roundabouts.

Interestingly, Fulham had more attempts on and off target than us. Smithies kept us in it with some great saves.

Feel the same Eric. Despite their obvious superiority on most parts of the pitch with an ability to zip it about and keep possession comfortably, ultimately there was only a goal in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I didn't expect us to win the game this evening, I thought we'd get thumped, goal down early on and the game would fade. Harris was right. They did come out fighting tonight. The spirit in that squad of players is exceptional, that probably carried us into the top 6 as it was.

I'm not bothered about missing out on the Premier League. Perhaps I've got more pragmatic as I've aged.

Tonight, now it has been so close, has been to a certain degree about "what ifs". What if Glatzel had scored in the first leg? What if Murphy had taken his time to pick a spot? Not picking on either or singling them out, I'm just using examples. A bit more quality up front might have got us the extra goal this evening. We had them rattled.

Still, no problems being in the Championship and being number 1 club in Wales again.
    Are you able to calculate the minutes per goal scored for us this season with and without Tomlin on the pitch?

I reckon the difference is quite significant.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Are you able to calculate the minutes per goal scored for us this season with and without Tomlin on the pitch?

Probably. Give me 20 minutes.

Though I agree we need a bit more quality I don't think it's up front.Where I feel we need to improve is the quality and quantity of balls into our strikers.

Minutes per goal with Tomlin on the pitch: 57.6
    Minutes per goal without Tomlin on the pitch: 67.1

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Though I agree we need a bit more quality I don't think it's up front.Where I feel we need to improve is the quality and quantity of balls into our strikers.
    And get midfielders to support more. All of our lone strikers are too isolated, then if we're on top later on in games, we press forward and give the replacement forward more support and they score.

Minutes per goal with Tomlin on the pitch: 57.6
    Minutes per goal without Tomlin on the pitch: 67.1
    Cheers. I make that 1.56 goals scored per 90 minutes with Tomlin on the pitch and 1.34 without.

To be honest, I was expecting a bigger difference. We're a completely different team when he is playing.

Lack of striker and right back, can't help but feel letting Peltier go was a massive cock up.
    Personally think wrong starting 11s in both playoffs.

Not far off in the end, I think we can reduce the wage bill while staying competitive.

I'm not bothered about missing out on the Premier League. Perhaps I've got more pragmatic as I've

Yes. Well done to all. A gutsy performance tonight.

Cheers. I make that 1.56 goals scored per 90 minutes with Tomlin on the pitch and 1.34 without.

To be honest, I was expecting a bigger difference. We're a completely different team when he is playing.
    Yep. Two reasons for it.

Under Warnock we averaged 1.44 goals per 90 minutes with Tomlin. Either sides of new year we struggled for goals and in 9 games, we scored 10. During this spell we scored 1 goal per 90 minutes with Tomlin.

Since the return from lockdown we've scored 1.83 goals per 90 minutes with Tomlin.

Pleased with our performance tonight, it was a good win despite losing the tie.

Could've been different if we had taken our chances as we left a few goals out there in second half. Disappointed with Glatzel and think he was poor in both games.