+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Brentford, Fulham

First Team

Brentford, Fulham

I'm quite curious as to how they've got where they are.

Fulham seem to have spent millions for at least 3 seasons so why haven't they fallen foul of fair play. I'd be curious to know what they've been laying out. Was this season shit or bust?

Brentford I understand even less. They seem to have sold any able body for a few years and yet have a new stadium and a pretty decent team. How did they do it?

First Team

Re: Brentford, Fulham

Curious if there are experts on these two.
    Last edited by az city; 30-07-20 at 23:34. Reason: error

Brentford are just a moneyball team. Can’t really fault them.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post

Fulham seem to have spent millions for at least 3 seasons so why haven't they fallen foul of fair play. I'd be curious to know what they've been laying out. Was this season shit or bust?

Brentford I understand even less. They seem to have sold any able body for a few years and yet have a new stadium and a pretty decent team. How did they do it?
    Brentford scrapped their academy as well which is pretty remarkable, that must save absolute shit tons in general expenses. Wouldn't be against us doing similar, ours is a complete waste of time anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Brentford scrapped their academy as well which is pretty remarkable, that must save absolute shit tons in general expenses. Wouldn't be against us doing similar, ours is a complete waste of time anyway.
    not having a go...so you believe that the academy is a waste of time and money?

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I believe it is, in its current set-up and operation anyway.

Brentford instead take on released players from other academies as well as picking up some from overseas. They then just organise friendlies.

It could work here but I think a big part of why it works is their location and proximity to so many clubs.

It is a good question.

I would love to understand the economics behind a football academy, as most have them these days. The cost versus return, and the predictability.

Or is it just accepted as being a cost and that they MAY generate revenue one day by uncovering a first team player or a player to sell onto another club (neither seems to happen regularly or with great predictability, even at Premier League clubs)

Maybe Brentford HAVE got it right? 🤷*♂️

Brentford had a pretty good academy, but after the big clubs pushed through their reforms it meant that even if Brentford produced a superstar they would likely be whipped away for a pittance.

Also the investment they've made in stats based recruitment means that they see that as being their edge over the other clubs, so it makes sense to divert as many funds towards that as possible.

I think being bad at both isn't a viable option in the long run

The owners also own FC Midtjylland in Denmard, they had never won the league before they took over in 2014, and have won it 3 times since.
    They still have a highly regarded academy there, so perhaps the different rules in the english system is whats prompted their decision.
    Midtjylland I *think* don't have as much of an emphasis as Brentford on playing the pretty stuff, but that could be horses for courses.
    that could also have changed in recent years also.
    They have also put a lot of effort into set pieces, and get a large proportion of their goals that way.

It shouldn't be, but Cardiff's has become that way for the second half of its existence. The purpose of any Academy surely is twofold - either produce first team footballers for your club or make it money through the sale of the better players who come through it. City's Academy has been failing on both counts for too long.

In my opinion, an approach at first team manager level that sees it as too much of a risk to pick youngsters for the senior side is partly to blame, but questions also have to be asked about the role senior coaching and management staff at the Academy given it's miserable recent record.

Fulham have a good Academy, but are, essentially, a throw money at it club these days who will be in trouble if their current owners ever decide to leave, whereas Brentford are prospering by prioritising scouting, recruitment and analytical work with the result that they have been able to keep on improving as a team and a club because they are consistently able to sell their best players at a large profit and replace them with "gems" recruited for relatively small amounts because most of the time they have the jump on bigger clubs because of their recruitment work which should be a blueprint for others, but, for some reason, tends to be ignored.

If there's any justice, Brentford will beat Fulham next Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It shouldn't be, but Cardiff's has become that way for the second half of its existence. The purpose of any Academy surely is twofold - either produce first team footballers for your club or make it money through the sale of the better players who come through it. City's Academy has been failing on both counts for too long.

In my opinion, an approach at first team manager level that sees it as too much of a risk to pick youngsters for the senior side is partly to blame, but questions also have to be asked about the role senior coaching and management staff at the Academy given it's miserable recent record.

Fulham have a good Academy, but are, essentially, a throw money at it club these days who will be in trouble if their current owners ever decide to leave, whereas Brentford are prospering by prioritising scouting, recruitment and analytical work with the result that they have been able to keep on improving as a team and a club because they are consistently able to sell their best players at a large profit and replace them with "gems" recruited for relatively small amounts because most of the time they have the jump on bigger clubs because of their recruitment work which should be a blueprint for others, but, for some reason, tends to be ignored.

If there's any justice, Brentford will beat Fulham next Tuesday.
    Fulham looked very tired and down at the end of the game, on paper Brentford should win?

Can't say I was that impressed with Fulham really, we gifted them two goals near enough and they scored a decent free kick. If we got the right teams out in both legs I think they were there for the taking.

I expect Brentford to smash them.

FFP is a lie

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I believe it is, in its current set-up and operation anyway.
    yes..we don't seem to be getting anything out of it.

Given the multimillions VT has allowed his managers to squander in the transfer market I wonder why he doesn’t look at the Brentford model and apply something like it here. Even if it was half as successful it would be a massive improvement on what we’ve been doing. It would require him to relinquish decision-making to technical experts led by a Director of Football though which may be an issue for him.

VT’s preference for a transfer committee composed of, with respect, individuals ignorant about football enabled Neil Warnock and his cronies to spend over £50m net on the current squad (as reported by Sky Sports). With the apparently high wages and long contracts handed out its going to be very difficult to fund an overhaul of the team this summer.

Should be looking at teams like Leicester and Brentford not acting like Man U,Man C.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    Given the multimillions VT has allowed his managers to squander in the transfer market I wonder why he doesn’t look at the Brentford model and apply something like it here. Even if it was half as successful it would be a massive improvement on what we’ve been doing. It would require him to relinquish decision-making to technical experts led by a Director of Football though which may be an issue for him.

VT’s preference for a transfer committee composed of, with respect, individuals ignorant about football enabled Neil Warnock and his cronies to spend over £50m net on the current squad (as reported by Sky Sports). With the apparently high wages and long contracts handed out its going to be very difficult to fund an overhaul of the team this summer.
    Tan's philosophy was that if you invest more money than other clubs, then you will do better than them. His next philosophy was more sustainable, but also resulted in relegation.

Investing in youth is a longer-term project and most owners are in it for a short term gain.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Brentford benefit from thorough research of the bargain basement.

They look for 'over-performing' players in 'over-performing' teams home and abroad.

Ollie Watkins:

Capture.JPG

Saïd Benrahma:

Capture.JPG

Watkins manages 10 goals in each of his first two championship seasons then this year has hit 25. Here he would probably have been binned off. Zohore managed fairly similar totals in his two championship seasons here and was for many no quite what we were looking for.

That's not to say that zohore will ever hit 25 but as a club, fan base included I don't think we really give players time to settle and progress. Perhaps as well as other things Brentford offers younger players the opportunity to progress and improve without quite as much scrutiny or pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Watkins manages 10 goals in each of his first two championship seasons then this year has hit 25. Here he would probably have been binned off. Zohore managed fairly similar totals in his two championship seasons here and was for many no quite what we were looking for.

That's not to say that zohore will ever hit 25 but as a club, fan base included I don't think we really give players time to settle and progress. Perhaps as well as other things Brentford offers younger players the opportunity to progress and improve without quite as much scrutiny or pressure.
    Maybe it's because we're always trying get promoted to the EPL or survive in it. We don't have time to develop players or a team. I'd gladly take 3 or more years of mid-table in the Championship if it meant we ended up with a team like Brentford's.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

he was playing out wide when he first went to Brentford