+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alex Smithies

Re: Alex Smithies

Etheridge isn't on big money compared to smithies, I know this for a fact 👍

Smithies value plus saving wages will enable Harris to wheel and deal a bit more

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Smithies value plus saving wages will enable Harris to wheel and deal a bit more
    A good keeper is invaluable.

A few thousand saved on wages and a small lump sum, I'd rather keep him.

I would too, but I reckon with the parachute payments gone and Tan losing a load of money due to Covid-19 then Harris won't be given much money

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Etheridge isn't on big money compared to smithies, I know this for a fact ��
    What about compared to other backup goalkeepers in the Championship?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    What about compared to other backup goalkeepers in the Championship?
    Sure its been reported he's on a first keepers wages.

I don't understand the rush to get rid of a keeper! It's one of the few areas we're strong in and people want to weaken it. no lessons learnt from the start of last season when Etheridge got injured and Day was like a frightened rabbit!

I love this "we" & "our" reference to the finances, I think you'll find it's Vinnie's and "he does what he wants!"

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I don't understand the rush to get rid of a keeper! It's one of the few areas we're strong in and people want to weaken it. no lessons learnt from the start of last season when Etheridge got injured and Day was like a frightened rabbit!

I love this "we" & "our" reference to the finances, I think you'll find it's Vinnie's and "he does what he wants!"
    Exactly. The finances rule, I’m afraid. If someone makes a big offer for Smithies, then we have a very good goalkeeper to slot in his place.
    It may not be what anyone wants, but money’s going to be tight.
    That’s the nature of a club like ours.

You can't seriously think it's sensible to have two well paid keepers at the club when we need improvements elsewhere?

Sorry headmaster.

We always say we when referring to anything Cardiff. It's a habit.

Go have a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    I can't think of anyone better. I always preferred Heaton to Marshall, and Heaton has had a spell in the PL. Will definitely be interest in the summer.
    I'd seen this lot on here this season and if i'm honest i really don't see it. Sure he can defiantly leather a ball with both feet, which helps but he still just leathers it. I have never seen him start a counter attack or hit it into space for an onrushing player. He really does just put his foot through it like almost all the others. Of his game this is his least standout attribute, what am i missing?

EDIT: Clarity to the post you copied about distribution, above is nothing to do with either marshall or heaton

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I'd seen this lot on here this season and if i'm honest i really don't see it. Sure he can defiantly leather a ball with both feet, which helps but he still just leathers it. I have never seen him start a counter attack or hit it into space for an onrushing player. He really does just put his foot through it like almost all the others. Of his game this is his least standout attribute, what am i missing?

EDIT: Clarity to the post you copied about distribution, above is nothing to do with either marshall or heaton
    You defiantly want to re check your post.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Defiantly do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    His distribution is as good as Heaton's while he's slightly behind Marshall in the freakish saves department (but still pretty good) but doesn't seem to concede the odd soft goal from range like Marshall did. We really have been blessed with keepers. Alexander, Marshy, Heaton, Etheridge and Smithies. It's amazing we've often had two at once!
    We mustn't forget
    Jason Brown
    Peter Enkleman
    Dimitrios Konstantopoulos
    Stuart Taylor
    Stephen Bywater

Ooohhhh defiant!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    We mustn't forget
    Jason Brown
    Peter Enkleman
    Dimitrios Konstantopoulos
    Stuart Taylor
    Stephen Bywater

PETER ZOIS

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    PETER ZOIS
    FRANK PARSONS

Need to keep him.

Can get money for Etheridge.
    Just spent the complete season in the reserves. Clubs will not remember his Premiership heroics.
    Probably get somewhere around £1.5M ?

It’s just realising our need to strengthen without much money.
    It is the one and only area where we have good back up strength

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Just spent the complete season in the reserves. Clubs will not remember his Premiership heroics.
    Probably get somewhere around £1.5M ?
    I'd rather than than the 4/5 we would get for Smithies. I don't like what we lose, Etheridge doesn't replace that. It's not the same.. He's not bad, but he's not smithies.