+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smithies

Alex Smithies

I am singling out a player because in my opinion that was one of the best individual performances I've ever seen in a City shirt. As a shot stopper at full stretch he's up there with the City greats. Thanks Alex, great game, you did everything you could.

Re: Alex Smithies

Could be a bit of interesting him from Prem teams unfortunately.

I thought he only had a year left so very relieved to see he's contracted until 2022. He's been absolutely fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I thought he only had a year left so very relieved to see he's contracted until 2022. He's been absolutely fantastic.
    He's quality! Assured in everything that he does.
    From my time of actively supporting the City, back in the early 70's, we've had a long line of excellent 'keepers.

His distribution of the ball is excellent . Its like having an extra player at the back .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    His distribution of the ball is excellent . Its like having an extra player at the back .
    I can't think of anyone better. I always preferred Heaton to Marshall, and Heaton has had a spell in the PL. Will definitely be interest in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Could be a bit of interesting him from Prem teams unfortunately.
    Would be interesting if we received a good offer in the summer. Knowing we need to re build certain positions, and we do have Etheridge in the wings, would it be worth considering ?

He's been brilliant but I reckon we'd get a fair bit for him so would sell,Etheridge is a good replacement (player of the year not long back) and Day would be fine as back up, along with the lad who was at Barry and us highly rated

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Would be interesting if we received a good offer in the summer. Knowing we need to re build certain positions, and we do have Etheridge in the wings, would it be worth considering ?
    Need to keep him.

Can get money for Etheridge.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    He's been brilliant but I reckon we'd get a fair bit for him so would sell,Etheridge is a good replacement (player of the year not long back) and Day would be fine as back up, along with the lad who was at Barry and us highly rated
    Surely Etheridge should be moved on instead? Will be grateful for his time here but I don't think I can bear watching him kick the ball again.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Surely Etheridge should be moved on instead? Will be grateful for his time here but I don't think I can bear watching him kick the ball again.
    I just think they with Harris likely to be given a small budget we could use the money from the sake to fund outfield players?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    I can't think of anyone better. I always preferred Heaton to Marshall, and Heaton has had a spell in the PL. Will definitely be interest in the summer.
    His distribution is as good as Heaton's while he's slightly behind Marshall in the freakish saves department (but still pretty good) but doesn't seem to concede the odd soft goal from range like Marshall did. We really have been blessed with keepers. Alexander, Marshy, Heaton, Etheridge and Smithies. It's amazing we've often had two at once!

I just think they with Harris likely to be given a small budget we could use the money from the sake to fund outfield players?
    So, sell Etheridge! We'd get decent money for him and Etheridge's distribution is a major issue!

Which is why we should sell Etheridge.

I think both would go for a bit of money but Smithies is the better keeper

So, sell Etheridge! We'd get decent money for him and Etheridge's distribution is a major issue!
    It's not even that I want him to go, but if he's second choice it makes sense for him to play first team football, and given a choice I'd take smithies here.

Did brilliantly, but wasn't Etheridge brought in as cover anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    It's not even that I want him to go, but if he's second choice it makes sense for him to play first team football, and given a choice I'd take smithies here.

Did brilliantly, but wasn't Etheridge brought in as cover anyway?
    He was but he's signed a contract extension where he won't be paid like it. It's a luxury we can't afford, too. If it means we can get a good right back or whatever in exchange for a backup keeper, it's a no brainier. I can't imagine Etheridge will be too pleased to warm the bench for another season either.

He was but he's signed a contract extension where he won't be paid like it. It's a luxury we can't afford, too. If it means we can get a good right back or whatever in exchange for a backup keeper, it's a no brainier. I can't imagine Etheridge will be too pleased to warm the bench for another season either.
    Not surprising after the performances he put in. But I think it's best he goes. Better for him as well.

Let’s not assume that this comes down to the manager’s choice.
    The transfer market is likely to be weak and Mehmut had already said that funds would be limited, so if someone makes a knockout offer for Smithies, then the club will likely sell.
    Having Etheridge back as number 1 wouldn’t exactly be a disaster, as he proved in the PL.
    It could be the difference between having a great keeper with a team unable to challenge for promotion and a team with a less great keeper that can.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Not surprising after the performances he put in. But I think it's best he goes. Better for him as well.
    Yes, that's what I said!

Smithies was fantastic...cant give him more praise.
    Feel sorry Etheridge everything was going quite well for him Prem football and playing for his country.Then it all went a bit side ways. hope he comes good again.Seems like a really nice guy too.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Smithies was fantastic...cant give him more praise.
    Feel sorry Etheridge everything was going quite well for him Prem football and playing for his country.Then it all went a bit side ways. hope he comes good again.Seems like a really nice guy too.
    Both have been great professionals too. Not fussed or whined. Etheridge has gone out of his way to praise Smithies which is nice to see.

Both have been great professionals too. Not fussed or whined. Etheridge has gone out of his way to praise Smithies which is nice to see.
    very true..both have been gentlemen.

Yes, that's what I said!
    And I was agreeing

I hope that Smithies stays. I recall when Warno k brought him here for £4m from QPR he was reckoned to be the best in the Championship. Then Etheridge who was due to be back up started like Gordon Banks and Smithies had to take a back seat.
    Now the roles are reversed I expect Etheridge to be sold but I hope we get better than Day as back up as I understand Smithies is carrying some sort of injury.

He is been brilliant