+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Skillful players at Cardiff City

Re: Skillful players at Cardiff City

Quote Originally Posted by Park Life View Post
    Agreed. The sunning goal he scored in the 1988 Welsh cup final versus Wrexham is one of the best goals I have seen live.
    Still the best goal I have ever seen in person. WTF was he doing in the 4th Division?

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I was there and I could have sworn it was played in daylight.
    Yes I thought it was daylight as well.

I suppose being May and a 7.30 start it would have started in the sun (if there was any!)

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Yes I thought it was daylight as well.

I suppose being May and a 7.30 start it would have started in the sun (if there was any!)
    I can picture Farrell tearing down the wing, Bob Bank side, like it was yesterday, then cutting inside to score.
    Real shame he never hit the heights again. I know he liked a drink, but so did most footballers at the time.

According to wiki Farrell left for S Africa after leaving Bury. Just out of interest does anyone know his whereabouts. I did find a Greg Farrell on facebook, but unless somone recognises him 50 years on there is no info on him being a former footballer.

Suprised nobody has mentioned Tarki Micallef

Garth blue your obviously a big fan of Tarki but I would say lethal lynex had more skill than him and he couldn't trap a bag of cement !

Alan Curtis Indeed

What a great great player

Treated disgracefully by some of our fans because he used to play for swansea

Andy legg after a few wobbles ? Bluebird legend

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    Suprised nobody has mentioned Tarki Micallef
    he presented me with an award once

It was football based

I was at the Farrell, but, for some reason, my main memory is of the Middlesbrough centre half scoring a hat trick - I was only ten mind.

Was it true about the "fingers" nickname?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I was at the Farrell, but, for some reason, my main memory is of the Middlesbrough centre half scoring a hat trick - I was only ten mind.

Was it true about the "fingers" nickname?
    Yes Paul, i recall him being referred to as “Fingers” Farrell and was supposed to be related to a theft conviction before he arrived down here. I recall someone saying it was whilst he was at Birmingham City.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Yes Paul, i recall him being referred to as “Fingers” Farrell and was supposed to be related to a theft conviction before he arrived down here. I recall someone saying it was whilst he was at Birmingham City.
    Have you heard the rumour that he was sold after money left in the dressing room went missing Rob? It could be made up because of that earlier conviction of course.

Greg Farrell
    Barrie Jones
    Ivor Allchirch

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Have you heard the rumour that he was sold after money left in the dressing room went missing Rob? It could be made up because of that earlier conviction of course.
    Think he was convicted of burglary after he left City, nit heard of the rumour about missing money in the dressing room

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Think he was convicted of burglary after he left City, nit heard of the rumour about missing money in the dressing room
    It’s a long time ago but I am sure that he was referred to as “fingers” whilst he was a City player. The stories going around at the time involved a burglary and stealing the contents of a gas/electricity meter. Whether the detail Of the story is true or not who knows. I don’t remember any stories about theft from the dressing room.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    It’s a long time ago but I am sure that he was referred to as “fingers” whilst he was a City player. The stories going around at the time involved a burglary and stealing the contents of a gas/electricity meter. Whether the detail Of the story is true or not who knows. I don’t remember any stories about theft from the dressing room.
    Sad thing is he was such a talented player. The game against Middlesbrough he was absolutely brilliant in the 5-3 win. One of if not the best games by a City player I’ve ever seen.

Someone told me about the thefts from the dressing room years after Farrell had retired and I've never had much of an opinion one way or another about how true it was. This passage from a website I have access to implies that his sale was for another reason and it would appear that he eventually returned to this country from South Africa;-

"A George Swindin signing, he was a alarmingly inconsistent winger who could give the best of players a hard time on his best days, but on his worst, and they seemed to outnumber the best, he was somewhat less than effective. He is mainly remembered for his performance against Middlesbrough in a bottom of the table clash at the tail end of the 1965-66 season which both teams had to win to avoid relegation. He got a goal, turned in a brilliant display, and City won by 5-3 in a game that has come to be known as "Farrell's Match". He had started out in League football with Birmingham City in March 1961 following his apprenticeship there, but only made 4 League appearances for them before joining City. His time with the club ground to a halt when he got a suspension for getting sent off at home to Crystal Palace on Boxing Day 1966 and after that he was never a regular in the side, as Jimmy Scoular transferred him away to Bury just before that season's transfer deadline. He finished the 1966-67 there, before embarking on a very sucessful 1967-68 season, becoming something of a terrace favourite as a result. Unfortunately the 1968-69 season was something of a nightmare, with a cartlilage problem making further progress impossible. He evetually left Bury in the summer of 1970 after 83 League appearances in which he scored 15 goals, emigrating to South Africa, where he played for Cape Town for a number of seasons. He returned to live in the UK during the 1990's, and although resident in the Midlands, he has been reported as in attendance at Gigg Lane on a number of occasions."

Sad thing is he was such a talented player. The game against Middlesbrough he was absolutely brilliant in the 5-3 win. One of if not the best games by a City player I’ve ever seen.
    In my opinion it is the best individual performance I have seen by a City player. It was a great shame that he infrequently reproduced only a fraction of that level of performance. Some years ago I saw a poll of the Bury FC Legends and he was in the top 3 so he is remembered as a special player there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    following on from another thread and some other contributors ....naturally gifted enigmatic players

Tomlin

Dave Bennett

Jason Fowler

Nigel Vaughan

Witts

Jason Koumas

Bonnie Prince Nathan Blake

Kav
    Ian Gibson.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post
    Willie Anderson and Ian Gibson

McPhail

Greg Farrell
    Barrie Jones
    Ivor Allchirch
    That's a great trio Cleve.
    Probably before most posters time on here but an incredibly skilful player was Brian 'Daisy' Walsh. Unfortunately, he wasn't always effective, hence the nickname.

I'm amazed no one's mentioned Eddie Johnson who scored one of the most memorable goals at Ninian....."USA, USA, USA".

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I'm amazed no one's mentioned Eddie Johnson who scored one of the most memorable goals at Ninian....."USA, USA, USA".
    it was fantastic seeing him score that goal , so pleased for him

As others have said, Ian Gibson has to be top of the list with Greg Farrell, on his day, close behind