+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Skillful players at Cardiff City

Re: Skillful players at Cardiff City

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It seems like this thread is more about dribbling and taking men on. I still think Whitts' first touch from long balls and ball control in tight situations was a sight to behold. His goal against Middlesbrough in the FA Cup was ridiculous.
    I'd have Whitts at or near the top in any list of either the best technical or most skilful City players I've seen - Alan Curtis would be another one on both lists, while another ex Jack Jason Bowen had a lot of talent and, going back a long way and sticking the ex Jack theme, Barrie Jones was a skilful performer.

More recently, I always though Anthony Pilkington was a good technical player.

Although I wasn't a great fan of his while he was at Cardiff, Robin Friday would be up there as well and Adrian Alston had a taste for the unusual which revealed him as a skilled performer.

Kimbo was a very good technical player as well and Mats Daehli also deserves a mention as well.

Rambo would be in any list of skilful and/or technical players as well.

Danny Gabbidon and Mark Delaney were also good enough technically not to get found out in the Premier League.

Another one I should have mentioned is Steve McPhail, one of the bravest players I've ever seen at City.

Ian Gibson, Johnny Vincent etc but for one game alone, nothing to touch him.......Greg Farrell, a lot of years ago now but some of those Middlesbrough players had their shirts on inside out, what a performance that night.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Ian Gibson, Johnny Vincent etc but for one game alone, nothing to touch him.......Greg Farrell, a lot of years ago now but some of those Middlesbrough players had their shirts on inside out, what a performance that night.
    Absolutely, I’ve never seen as good a performance by anyone in a City shirt since. He was absolutely untouchable that night. I think Ian Gibson was playing for Middlesbrough that night in 1966.

Tony Villars was a very good dribbler with the ball and I suppose the 70s equivalent of the Farrell match was when he scored a brilliant equaliser against Palace to send then down and keep us up in 1974.

I’m surprised Alan Curtis hasn’t had more mentions, thought he’d be a shoe in for the list?

that trapped lay off to Bellamy for the killer goal down at the liberty by rambo was world class

Stopped the ball and put it on a plate to be hit

Ramsey was an incredible talent and it was a disgrace dave Jones didnt give him his day in the sun at Wembley

We would have beaten pompey

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I’m surprised Alan Curtis hasn’t had more mentions, thought he’d be a shoe in for the list?
    Agreed. The sunning goal he scored in the 1988 Welsh cup final versus Wrexham is one of the best goals I have seen live.

Quote Originally Posted by Park Life View Post
    Agreed. The sunning goal he scored in the 1988 Welsh cup final versus Wrexham is one of the best goals I have seen live.
    Any excuse.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mhCnrCxI4uY

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    There has been a lot of chat about brentford recently. I cannot hear the word “Brentford” without picturing Fowler’s chip. He was a class act on his day, at a time when players like that were a rare luxury
    That game was a riot, we tonked them 4-1, only a month after we lost to them on Boxing Day. It was also Frank Burrows birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Thornton View Post
    That game was a riot, we tonked them 4-1, only a month after we lost to them on Boxing Day. It was also Frank Burrows birthday!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m9fscrz0qWQ

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    All of the above plus Jay Bothroyd when he was on his game. Knew how to score pretty goals too.
    Jay Bothroyd was immense on his day.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Park Life View Post
    Curtis was brilliant.

Curtis at his best was a near World Class player.

Quincy. Had a few skills. Shame he was in the list of worst ever players

We agree on something!

Gibson and Vincent were both good players,especially Gibson.

That Farrell performance is the stuff of legend.

I'd only been following football for a few years and I had never seen a performance like it.

It's 50 odd years ago now and I don't think I have really seen many, if any, like it since.

Think it was a saturday afternoon though wasn't it?

Amazing performance. Could never understand who he didnt repeat it, even occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    We agree on something!

Gibson and Vincent were both good players,especially Gibson.

That Farrell performance is the stuff of legend.

I'd only been following football for a few years and I had never seen a performance like it.

It's 50 odd years ago now and I don't think I have really seen many, if any, like it since.

Think it was a saturday afternoon though wasn't it?
    Apologies I have just checked back and 3rd May 1966 was indeed a Tuesday night.

Unusual for City because I seem to recall that Scoular preferred to play on Wednesdays.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Curtis at his best was a near World Class player.
    Fantastic player, he could throw his hips and drop a shoulder and some of the crowd would move. I always feel he is criminally underrated when people compare Welsh greats.

Billy Ronson, Barrie Jones, Ian Gibson. But Whitts outshines them all.

Heisenberg

Craig Noone's performance away to Man City was one of the most skillful performances I've seen someone have in a City shirt. Shame he was so inconsistent as he was clearly talented.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Apologies I have just checked back and 3rd May 1966 was indeed a Tuesday night.

Unusual for City because I seem to recall that Scoular preferred to play on Wednesdays.

The game took place on Wednesday 4 May and the following Saturday 7 May we lost 9-0 at Deepdale

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    The game took place on Wednesday 4 May and the following Saturday 7 May we lost 9-0 at Deepdale
    I was there and I could have sworn it was played in daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Billy Ronson, Barrie Jones, Ian Gibson. But Whitts outshines them all.
    I think Billy Ronson was more industrious than skillful.