+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Don't believe it's been mentioned but what was remarkable about the recent Championship play-offs?

Don't believe it's been mentioned but what was remarkable about the recent Championship play-offs?

(actually it may not be that remarkable...we may need Eric to confirm)

Answer tomorrow - I'm 6 hours behind most of you

Re: Don't believe it's been mentioned but what was remarkable about the recent Championship play-offs?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post

The aggregate scoreline was the same in both Semis?

Re: Don't believe it's been mentioned but what was remarkable about the recent Championship play-offs?

The losers scored the last goal in both ties? The last three games of the ties all took (and are taking) place in West London?

The first time that no side north of the M4 have qualified?

2 sets of local rivals (ISH)

No drawn games

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    2 sets of local rivals (ISH)
    Think this has definitely been mentioned..

Managed to get good working streams online

First time the third and fourth placed sides have reached the final?

record low attendances of any previous play off matches

TOBW is right in that it's the first time in the 2nd tier playoffs that both aggregate scores have been the same with the side at home in the second leg winning both. There have been 3 other occasions where both sides have won by a single goal margin - 2017/18 (both home teams in the second leg made the final), 1992/93 and 2001/02 (both away teams in the second leg made the final).

In 1995/96 the 3rd tier playoffs both finished 3-2 - Notts County won at home in the second leg while Blackpool threw away a 2-0 first leg win and lost 3-0 at home to Bradford.

In 2016/17 the League 2 playoffs both finished 6-5 on aggregate, with one being won by the home team in the second leg, the other by the away team.

However, the award for mirror playoff semi-finals goes to the Second Division (3rd tier) playoffs in 1998/99:

Wigan 1-1 Man City (Wigan scored first)
    Preston 1-1 Gillingham (Preston scored first)

Man City 1-0 Wigan
    Gillingham 1-0 Preston

It's perhaps hardly surprising that the final went to penalties. Gillingham scored on 82 and 87 minutes, only for Man City to score twice in injury time in the most remarkable end to a playoff final there's been so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    record low attendances of any previous play off matches
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    First time the third and fourth placed sides have reached the final?
    It's the 10th time it's happened in the second tier and 36 time across all 3 divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    No drawn games
    There's 20 occasions where the 4 playoff ties from the same division haven't seen a drawn game. That's quite a low occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    There's 20 occasions where the 4 playoff ties from the same division haven't seen a drawn game. That's quite a low occurrence.
    Pleased to see such interest - and sensible answers this morning.

It's correct that :-

a) the aggregate score was the same (3-2) in both ties
    b) geographical similarities identified by the correspondent from Splott
    c) a number of eloquent responses from Eric as expected

But what occurred to me was simply that all four teams won and lost one of their semi final ties this year.

Taken a stage further it also seems remarkable that in such circumstances, neither extra time nor penalties was need to produce a result.

But that all four teams winning a tie was unusual was my original thought - I'm sure someone will confirm it's happened a number of times before but thanks for contributing anyway.

Pleased to see such interest - and sensible answers this morning.

It's correct that :-

a) the aggregate score was the same (3-2) in both ties
    b) geographical similarities identified by the correspondent from Splott
    c) a number of eloquent responses from Eric as expected

But what occurred to me was simply that all four teams won and lost one of their semi final ties this year.

Taken a stage further it also seems remarkable that in such circumstances, neither extra time nor penalties was need to produce a result.

But that all four teams winning a tie was unusual was my original thought - I'm sure someone will confirm it's happened a number of times before but thanks for contributing anyway.
    Yes, good point - my guess is that hasn't happened too often at all in the last thirty odd years.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, good point - my guess is that hasn't happened too often at all in the last thirty odd years.
    I'm sure Eric will come and blast this out of the water but thanks for your comforting comment anyway.

Believe it or not the thought just popped into my mind as my head hit the pillow last night; couldn't rest then until I got up and posted the question.

I'm sure Eric will come and blast this out of the water but thanks for your comforting comment anyway.

Believe it or not the thought just popped into my mind as my head hit the pillow last night; couldn't rest then until I got up and posted the question.
    Great observation. The obvious one that's right under your nose so you don't spot it!

TOBW is spot on that it hasn't happened too often over the last 34 years. It's happened 56 in 204 playoff semi finals. However, as far as it happening in both semi finals in the same division, that's a complete rarity. It happened in 1998/99 (2nd tier), 2003/04 (2nd tier) and 2018/19 (2nd tier). 3 times in 33 years is pretty rare, I reckon. So for it to happen in both Championship and League 2 playoffs in the same season is incredibly unique!

I thought my ‘the first time that there wasn’t a team north of the M4 in the last four’?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I thought my ‘the first time that there wasn’t a team north of the M4 in the last four’?
    You'd be right. That's never happened in any divisional playoff.

Thinking of distances, I reckon the Carlisle - Exeter playoff in 2017 is just about the longest, just ahead of Torquay - Scarborough in 1998.

You'd be right. That's never happened in any divisional playoff.

Thinking of distances, I reckon the Carlisle - Exeter playoff in 2017 is just about the longest, just ahead of Torquay - Scarborough in 1998.
    What a smashin’ fella Eric is

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    What a smashin’ fella Eric is
    My wife says the same every morning when she gets out of bed, which is slightly concerning as Eric isn't my real name.

My wife says the same every morning when she gets out of bed, which is slightly concerning as Eric isn't my real name.
    C’mon now Eric?? No implied smut