+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should prison sentences be longer?

Should prison sentences be longer?

https://news.sky.com/story/pc-harper-killing-three-teenagers-jailed-over-police-officers-death-12039630

Pretty light sentences considering

Re: Should prison sentences be longer?

For crimes of violence and burglary, YES.

Unless, of course it is for self defence or you are defending your home from intruders, then no prosecution whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    https://news.sky.com/story/pc-harper-killing-three-teenagers-jailed-over-police-officers-death-12039630

I reckon sentences are as long as the government are prepared to pay for. There aren't many spaces in prisons by all accounts. That must have a bearing.

I think I am right in saying our sentences are longer than many European countries anyway.
    The case mentioned was particularly bad. These lads were very lucky not to be convicted of murder which would have been an automatic life sentence.

Read that they were laughing and joking during the trial, sickening for the victims family. Can only hope big Steve takes a fancy to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Read that they were laughing and joking during the trial, sickening for the victims family. Can only hope big Steve takes a fancy to them.
    Desperately sad story. Imho they are extremely fortunate to escape with these sentences.

Hope the PM steps in parents have written to him , their smiling faces after being cleared of murder was the worse thing I've seen for such a long time kants

Scumbags knew what they’d done....I guess they will get out after this sentence, some poor bugger will come into their path and they will be back in jail again....

I've been on a jury where the situation was really tricky . We came to the right answer eventually after a long deliberation.
    You have to be sure beyond reasonable doubt and clearly this jury just couldn't be, having sat through several weeks of evidence. Remember a murder conviction is a big deal even for scum like this.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Hope the PM steps in parents have written to him , their smiling faces after being cleared of murder was the worse thing I've seen for such a long time kants
    What do you hope the Prime Minister 'steps in' to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I think I am right in saying our sentences are longer than many European countries anyway.
    The case mentioned was particularly bad. These lads were very lucky not to be convicted of murder which would have been an automatic life sentence.
    i think you may be right.
    here in Sweden its a joke.
    Rapists get very light sentences two years and maybe have to pay the victim compensation often a sum like 8-9k quid.

First Team

No.

As far as I know, anybody can write to the Attorney General and ask for the sentence to be looked at, if they feel it’s too lenient. Those guys obviously didn’t set out to murder PC Harper, but I feel any action leading to the death of a police officer, should be given a minimum sentence, without parole, of say 20 years. Were these guys given, a minimum sentence or will be be out in half of their time?

no, rehabilitation should be better.

I dont think the killing of a police officer is any different to the killing of a nurse or some bloke down the road .

I definitely however think we should have heavier prison sentences for violent crime including serious assaults , armed robbery , manslaughter and murder

Run of the mill murder .....twenty years minimum

A wife kills her husband after years of beatings ? Well if she picks up a kitchen blade in a fit of fear she will probably be convicted of manslaughter and get five years and thats probably too much .

But if she goes out and buys a knife and kills him she gets done for murder ?

Its all up the spout

These lads , its obviously been concluded there was not enough evidence to convict them of murder but there was manslaughter . You can get life for manslaughter , they certainly deserve it .

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I dont think the killing of a police officer is any different to the killing of a nurse or some bloke down the road .

I definitely however think we should have heavier prison sentences for violent crime including serious assaults , armed robbery , manslaughter and murder

A wife kills her husband after years of beatings ? Well if she picks up a kitchen blade in a fit of fear she will probably be convicted of manslaughter and get five years and thats probably too much .

Its all up the spout

These lads , its obviously been concluded there was not enough evidence to convict them of murder but there was manslaughter . You can get life for manslaughter , they certainly deserve it .
    Do the passengers deserve life? Driver yes, passengers no for me.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    in America, that great country , they have a charge accessory to murder

I think the driver got 16 years for manslaughter , the passengers 13 , thats not far off the maximum the judge could give

Awful way to die though , if they had been convicted of murder I am sure the driver would have been looking at 25 years

Tossers

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    What do you hope the Prime Minister 'steps in' to do?
    Nothing id read she had I have sympathy for her and I should imagine its a solace moment for her .

I think the Home Secretary or Attorney General has some powers though : ""Either side in a criminal case may appeal with respect to the sentence that is imposed after a guilty verdict.""

Hopefully you agree it might happen as police lives matter

in America, that great country , they have a charge accessory to murder

I think the driver got 16 years for manslaughter , the passengers 13 , thats not far off the maximum the judge could give

Awful way to die though , if they had been convicted of murder I am sure the driver would have been looking at 25 years

Tossers
    no street demonstrations though for this death

Nothing id read she had I have sympathy for her and I should imagine its a solace moment for her .

I think the Home Secretary or Attorney General has some powers though : ""Either side in a criminal case may appeal with respect to the sentence that is imposed after a guilty verdict.""

Hopefully you agree it might happen as police lives matter
    What on earth are you on about? Of course either side has the right to appeal after a verdict - but I do not want the Prime Minister to have the power to personally intervene in a criminal trial. An independent judiciary is there for a reason.

'Its a solace moment for her'....'Police lives matter'....? Back to your usual agenda with a dash of gibberish?

no street demonstrations though for this death
    nothing stopping you is there? get out there if you care, be the change you want to see in the world rather than take cheapshots from your sofa at people who are actually trying to do something about the change they want to see in theirs

I can see what wasn't a murder trial, there's obviously a panic after an accident has happened.

Sentences should be much harsher especially for multiple offenders.
    Thing is if you know youre unlikely to see the light of day again after doing something what's to stop you doing everything in your power to escape including multiple homicides.

[QUOTE=life on mars;5104337]no street demonstrations though for this

You should start one then

International

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I think you'll find that as they committed the burglary or whatever together then they are jointly and separately responsible foi all the actions of everyone concerned. Witness Bentley and Craig.

International

Its all up the spout

That is why so many killings by wives occur in the kitchen. Anger/fear, grab a knife, red mist. Done!!

But from what you say I assume that if a woman takes a knife and conceals it on her person and then goes out into the street, goes to a shop and stabs 3 people them she is guilty of premeditation and deserves a harsh sentence. Or maybe not!