+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is the writng on the wall for many in football - including managers ?

Is the writng on the wall for many in football - including managers ?

With the future of many football league clubs in the balance (especially if they are denied income from home games next season at least from the start, as seems likely) will these guys who are walking (Eddie Howe, Paul Cooke etc) work again in football?

Remember the good ole days when guys who worked in football ended up keeping pubs or becoming newsagent? The 'keeping pubs' prolly won't happen, but you get my drift?

One could even predict that many of the lower league clubs will become amateur set-ups in the foreseeable future.

Re: Is the writng on the wall for many in football - including managers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    With the future of many football league clubs in the balance (especially if they are denied income from home games next season at least from the start, as seems likely) will these guys who are walking (Eddie Howe, Paul Cooke etc) work again in football?

Remember the good ole days when guys who worked in football ended up keeping pubs or becoming newsagent? The 'keeping pubs' prolly won't happen, but you get my drift?

One could even predict that many of the lower league clubs will become amateur set-ups in the foreseeable future.
    It is such a pity ,I do wonder where footy goes from here ,perhaps we may see a levelling with less greed and a return to more grassroots football, perhaps the football authorities make use of these managers abilities, love to see them involved in VAR adjudications.

Any business that is reliant upon customers coming through its doors as their main income, if reduced would inevitably have to budget accordingly to make ends meet and sustain the business.

The fact that some businesses were millions in debt, piss poorly run and frequently spend money they haven’t got will before the pandemic will quicken their demise. Since Covid-19 we’ve seen Go Outdoors, Debenhams, Laura Ashley and Carluccios go into administration. In all honesty their demise will affect my house more than Rochdale, Oldham Athletic, Tranmere or Newport County.

To be honest the wages given to the top flight of footballers sickens me ( i know it's not only football)
    I would love to go back to the age where you had part timers that got 15 quid a match.Good honest football.And in the meantime they
    can pop on some ppe gear and help out with the elderly.

That's a thread in it's own right-Ex Footballers who owned pubs, and you've been there. I reckon Bluetit would smash it!

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    To be honest the wages given to the top flight of footballers sickens me ( i know it's not only football)
    I would love to go back to the age where you had part timers that got 15 quid a match.Good honest football.And in the meantime they
    can pop on some ppe gear and help out with the elderly.
    What if they don't want to work with the elderly?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    What if they don't want to work with the elderly?
    feck 'em

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    feck 'em
    Harsh.......But fair.

There's so much money in football should be plenty to keep 100 clubs afloat and reporting healthy profits. Clubs get too greedy and then everyone is chasing. That's why the financial penalties should be far more excessive.

I think for the size of the country there are too many professional clubs. I do wonder maybe if league level should be capped to a certain degree.

Of course they will, next Championship club to need a manager will be straight on the phone to Eddie Howe

That's a thread in it's own right-Ex Footballers who owned pubs, and you've been there. I reckon Bluetit would smash it!
    Actually, it was a newsagent I knew. A left winger for Pompey in the mid-1950s in the old First Division called Gordon Dale. He was like lightning. Next time I saw him he was selling papers in a corner shop up the road from us. He was a right miserable so-and-so.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Of course they will, next Championship club to need a manager will be straight on the phone to Eddie Howe
    Yeah, Burnley will come calling sure as eggs is eggs

Harsh.......But fair.
    One day you too will be tottering around with knackered knees

remember my first job as an apprentice in the early 80's and the bloke i had to work with in my first week was Ken Hollyman who was coming to the end of his working life

was looking forward to working with him but he never had a good word to say about the city and a right misery too

older posters will know who he was but for younger posters a city player from the 50's

Ohhh come on..Zlatan getting 500k for every minute he plays and he's not even the highest earner. it's got of hand

Semi pro maybe, but not amateur.

Garry Bell & Peter King, used to work as labourers in the building trade, during the summer break.

Ronnie Bird for one

Just remembered, popped in to see Bobby Brown in West Wales. Can't remember the name of the pub

Dave Carver's village inn, outside Cambridge (regular there)

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Ronnie Bird for one

Just remembered, popped in to see Bobby Brown in West Wales. Can't remember the name of the pub

How could I forget Eddie May's, The Beverly

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Ronnie Bird for one

Bobby Brown - The Rising Sun, Pelcomb Bridge, nr. Haverfordwest

Now see what you've done!

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    remember my first job as an apprentice in the early 80's and the bloke i had to work with in my first week was Ken Hollyman who was coming to the end of his working life

was looking forward to working with him but he never had a good word to say about the city and a right misery too

older posters will know who he was but for younger posters a city player from the 50's
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Hollyman

Yeah, Burnley will come calling sure as eggs is eggs
    Dyche to Palace or West Ham, Howe to Burnley?

If I was the owner of Cardiff City, I'd sack Harris tomorrow if I could get Eddie Howe in.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    There's so much money in football should be plenty to keep 100 clubs afloat and reporting healthy profits. Clubs get too greedy and then everyone is chasing.
    Sounds exactly like Britain in general

Definitely could change football as we know it.

Could be more people supporting their local clubs
    Could be a push to a euro super league
    It could be set differently in terms of rules and numbers of players allowed
    Could have a wage bubble

Depends how long this lasts but ALL football clubs will feel the strain if it stays like this no matter who they are.