Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
No. Never having really been a walker I joined a few Meetup walking groups a few years ago. I now lead walks for three of them inbetween leading walks along the SW Coastal Path for my friends via a Facebook group I set up. My fellow walkers tell me that the Ramblers can be very serious but I don't have any experience of them myself. Having a pint or two at then end and after several hours of strenuous exercise doesn't make me too guilty
We do a lot of walking (Pennines, UK national trails and European walking holidays) but just cannot get into group walks. We do go out with another couple once in a blue moon, and have sometimes been with groups on guided walks abroad but otherwise just the two of us. The main reason is not inherent anti-sociability (well, maybe me a bit) but because we want to set our own pace, and not be held back by the slowest. It does turn some walks into more of a route march than a stop-start ramble, but there is nothing better than getting into a good rhythm on a ridge or high moor and feel the heart and lungs pumping on the way up and the knees screaming on the way down! I agree about the pub at the end, though!