+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Kind of Club: The Inside Story of Neil Warnock's Cardiff City

My Kind of Club: The Inside Story of Neil Warnock's Cardiff City

There is a new book on City under Warnock coming out on 1st October. Author is the last WOL occupier of the Cardiff City desk and 'host' of Blakey's Bootroom - Dominic Booth - who has now moved on to a job in Manchester (I think).

He got a massive plug from Teeside Live when he did an interview on Warnock's transformation of Cardiff and what that might say about Boro's next season.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/...-neil-18695051

I'm not recommending it - never impressed by 'Dom' Booth (or most of the WOL stable) - but maybe of interest to hard core collectors of all things City.

My Kind Of Club small.jpg

Re: My Kind of Club: The Inside Story of Neil Warnock's Cardiff City

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    There is a new book on City under Warnock coming out on 1st October. Author is the last WOL occupier of the Cardiff City desk and 'host' of Blakey's Bootroom - Dominic Booth - who has now moved on to a job in Manchester (I think).

He got a massive plug from Teeside Live when he did an interview on Warnock's transformation of Cardiff and what that might say about Boro's next season.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/...-neil-18695051

I'm not recommending it - never impressed by 'Dom' Booth (or most of the WOL stable) - but maybe of interest to hard core collectors of all things City.

My Kind Of Club small.jpg
    Loved warnock , kicked this club up the arse

And I like route one , get stuck in football

He made his mistakes , who doesn't, but we were going one way when he took over and that was down to league one . He galvanised the players , the fans and the next season got us up . For a few dodgy ref decisions we would have stayed up too .

One of his books - "The Gaffer" - was an entertaining read, occasionally insightful or self-aggrandising (surprise!) but with plenty of talk about having a feeling about something so not particularly in-depth. It'll be interesting to see if there's anything new to be found in this.

I won't buy or look at it purely because Dominic Booth is a tosser. His old tweets and he's overall attitude, plus the standard of "journalism" he displayed get a big no from me.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

He made his mistakes , who doesn't, but we were going one way when he took over and that was down to league one . He galvanised the players , the fans and the next season got us up . For a few dodgy ref decisions we would have stayed up too .
    Agree with this Sludge.

He has his faults of course,and he should probably have gone at the end of the Premier League season.

And some of his detractors on here sneer at his failure at Premier League level.

But he is undeniably one of the, if not the, finest manager at Football League level as is shown by the number of clubs he has taken up and the number he has saved.

Undeniably he has flaws (don't we all) and a big ego.

But I am glad he came here.

Agreed.

People forget just how dire the football was before Warnock came in, it was poor, we were weak mentally, physically and the club off the pitch was still fragmented and rudderless following the rebrand.

Within months he had turned that all around.

The football wasn't even that bad under him at times, particularly the opening months of our promotion season I thought we played with a real purpose and were clinical. Most enjoyable I found we weren't an easy touch for anyone and physically out muscled a number of teams.

The Premier league season we were largely out of our depth but also handed a fair few bad hands, the death of Sala isn't something many clubs have to deal with, that Chelsea offside may have changed our season also. Ultimately we just weren't good enough.

At that point he probably should have left but for me will always be one of our best managers, prior to him coming in it was getting to the point where even when we scored I'd hardly get too excited and would slowly rise from my seat to applaud.

Can’t understand the recent trend of snide remarks against him. He did wonders for us overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Can’t understand the recent trend of snide remarks against him. He did wonders for us overall.
    nor me but thats cardiff fans for you

He was a far better man manager than Ashurst, Burrows , Dave Jones etc

Never since the days of Eddie May had the club seemed so united but oh how quickly modern football fans turn

He's a football fans manager , no poncing about , get stuck in , get three points , thank the fans for their support

If a bit of route one was what we had to endure for success then so be it

My kind of fans, my kind of people - the Cardiff chapter. Says it about every club he manages. He’s about as sincere as a Tory.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I won't buy or look at it purely because Dominic Booth is a tosser. His old tweets and he's overall attitude, plus the standard of "journalism" he displayed get a big no from me.
    Me too.

I'll be very interested in his comments about the Sala tragedy - assuming he makes some, and they are correct.

Perhaps something happened there - he was never the same afterwards. There could also be an impression that whatever went on (if it did) maybe it tainted his relationship with the Tan.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    My kind of fans, my kind of people - the Cardiff chapter. Says it about every club he manages. He’s about as sincere as a Tory.
    Maybe he has always taken up jobs with teams that do have a traditional and old-fashioned appeal that appeals to him.
    He doesn't seem the type of person who financially needs to work and more the type that retains enthusiasm for particular types of work.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Football manager in insincere comments on new club shocker.

Never since the days of Eddie May had the club seemed so united but oh how quickly modern football fans turn
    While NW changed his mind like the weather. Last summer he said "the club needs me", but failed to add "...until October, after I've bought a bunch of players on long contracts through my son's agency." Maybe he'll explain it all in his book.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Me too.
    Being a saddo I emailed Booth after he reported on one of our games against Manchester City, I took issue with the fact that throughout the report he used City to refer to Manchester and referred to us as Cardiff. He replied that he did this because he was from up there, I replied to point out that he was working and reporting for a South Wales publication and we are the City down here, he didn’t reply again, most probably thought I was a nit picking loony but then again I’m in the ‘Which United’ camp as well when people refer to the rags as ‘United’.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Being a saddo I emailed Booth after he reported on one of our games against Manchester City, I took issue with the fact that throughout the report he used City to refer to Manchester and referred to us as Cardiff. He replied that he did this because he was from up there, I replied to point out that he was working and reporting for a South Wales publication and we are the City down here, he didn’t reply again, most probably thought I was a nit picking loony but then again I’m in the ‘Which United’ camp as well when people refer to the rags as ‘United’.
    Lots of derogatory tweets about Wales etc people jumped on. Fair enough he was young and they were pretty harmless but never a good starting point and was his general attitude etc that I weren't a fan of him for. Very much of the Abbandonato persuasion, who is like a tesco value Piers Morgan on twitter. Not a fan of either of them. Get the impression that Dom Booth annoyed fellow journalists from other papers quite often. The club are a closed shop these days so accept it's hard but not sure he ever got anything right from sources and had some terrible opinions on games as well. Didn't really read much he did but seeing some of his tweets pop up was enough to realise his takes on stuff were way off the mark.

nor me but thats cardiff fans for you

He was a far better man manager than Ashurst, Burrows , Dave Jones etc

He's a football fans manager , no poncing about , get stuck in , get three points , thank the fans for their support

If a bit of route one was what we had to endure for success then so be it
    Warnock is very good at some aspects of management - one of the best around at motivating, and having everyone know exactly what they should be doing to execute his game plan.
    There probably aren't too many other managers who would have gotten us promoted that season.

However there are also severe limitations to his managerial style. His strength is also his weakness in some respects, as he has such an indelible style to his football teams, thats what helps everyone know what they should be doing, but it is also a style that is becoming less and less effective throughout the football leagues.

He is also apparently extremely unwilling to bring youngsters through, or sign younger players. Our squad is a mess, it needs a lot of work doing to it and to have to do so much at one time you have to be really lucky for it ll to click. There's a good chance we will have a fallow few seasons now, and the new manager will probably get the blame, but it will largely be Warnock's fault as its him who allowed our squad to get like this. Huge chunks of our wage budget are taken up with past their peak players who cant play the full season, and can't keep up with their younger rivals.

Not many of Warnock's previous clubs would contemplate having him back

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Warnock is very good at some aspects of management - one of the best around at motivating, and having everyone know exactly what they should be doing to execute his game plan.
    There probably aren't too many other managers who would have gotten us promoted that season.

However there are also severe limitations to his managerial style. His strength is also his weakness in some respects, as he has such an indelible style to his football teams, thats what helps everyone know what they should be doing, but it is also a style that is becoming less and less effective throughout the football leagues.

He is also apparently extremely unwilling to bring youngsters through, or sign younger players. Our squad is a mess, it needs a lot of work doing to it and to have to do so much at one time you have to be really lucky for it ll to click. There's a good chance we will have a fallow few seasons now, and the new manager will probably get the blame, but it will largely be Warnock's fault as its him who allowed our squad to get like this. Huge chunks of our wage budget are taken up with past their peak players who cant play the full season, and can't keep up with their younger rivals.

Well he's not got long left in football now but if Harris got hit by a bus I would have warnock back

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

All of This.
    Warnock is an impact manager. He leaves no legacy behind. He’s like a Poundland Mourinho.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    All of This.
    Warnock is an impact manager. He leaves no legacy behind. He’s like a Poundland Mourinho.
    No way Mourinho could operate on Warnock's budgets.
    Rjk has made some good points though.

That said, I would go through it all again with Warnock.
    We were in freefall when he took over and it was a good decision by Choo and Dalman.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    No way Mourinho could operate on Warnock's budgets.
    Rjk has made some good points though.

That said, I would go through it all again with Warnock.
    We were in freefall when he took over and it was a good decision by Choo and Dalman.
    No he couldn’t, but they are similar in that they only manage for the now, don’t bring through many younger players and usually leave a mess when they leave.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    No he couldn’t, but they are similar in that they only manage for the now, don’t bring through many younger players and usually leave a mess when they leave.
    it's notable with mourihnio that with each successive club, the initial success is less and the amount of mess left behind is more

Clubs get rid of warnock too quickly , he is seen as a troubleshooter . Needs to be given time . He's a bit of a brexit tory boy but he's a bloody great motivator .

He turned this club around

Clubs get rid of warnock too quickly , he is seen as a troubleshooter . Needs to be given time . He's a bit of a brexit tory boy but he's a bloody great motivator .

He turned this club around
    he's a brilliant motivator, one of the best around. but that is something that will be less and less effective as time goes on. there are only so many times you'll find the same anecdotes inspiring for example.
    the longer he's there the more influence he has on the squad and the more older players you end up with on 3 year deals
    great in the short term but not someone to. build for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I'll be very interested in his comments about the Sala tragedy - assuming he makes some, and they are correct.

Perhaps something happened there - he was never the same afterwards. There could also be an impression that whatever went on (if it did) maybe it tainted his relationship with the Tan.
    I don't know if Booth has done any new interviews with Warnock for this book - or if it is all based on stuff already public.

I doubt it will have anything fresh or interesting to say about the Sala tragedy.

However, in a few years time it is likely that Warnock will update and extend 'The Gaffer' to cover his managerial career since 2013. If he does that (with his ghost writer) he may well open up.