+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Kind of Club: The Inside Story of Neil Warnock's Cardiff City

Re: My Kind of Club: The Inside Story of Neil Warnock's Cardiff City

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Clubs get rid of warnock too quickly , he is seen as a troubleshooter . Needs to be given time . He's a bit of a brexit tory boy but he's a bloody great motivator .

He turned this club around
    He turned it around full circle.

3 years and 6 transfer windows of Colin Warnockball was more than enough time at this club.

He should have bowed out gracefully after the win at Old Trafford last season but his ego wouldn’t allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Clubs get rid of warnock too quickly , he is seen as a troubleshooter . Needs to be given time . He's a bit of a brexit tory boy but he's a bloody great motivator .

He turned this club around
    Yes, a troubleshooter, but once he’s “fixed” a club, he seems to run out of ideas.

There are plenty of players who might disagree on his man management. I’d suggest that it’s fine if you’re one of his favourites!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    All of This.
    Warnock is an impact manager. He leaves no legacy behind. He’s like a Poundland Mourinho.
    There's very few managers who get to leave a legacy behind because of the short-term nature of the job. They're usually gone within the year so not much chance to implement anything.

If I had the choice of Warnock or Malky again, I'd choose Malky every time, especially from his first season in charge where we played some rip-roaring, exciting football with a desire and graft missing from the previous seasons.

He led us to a cup final where we gave our best account of ourselves at a Wembley final since 1927. He won us the Championship title. He picked up the remnants of a side that had suffered promotion heartbreak season after season and had lost most of its best attacking players and got us into the playoffs.

Many cite Cornelius as a reason Malky failed, yet Warnock arguably spunked away more money than Mackay did.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If I had the choice of Warnock or Malky again, I'd choose Malky every time, especially from his first season in charge where we played some rip-roaring, exciting football with a desire and graft missing from the previous seasons.

He led us to a cup final where we gave our best account of ourselves at a Wembley final since 1927. He won us the Championship title. He picked up the remnants of a side that had suffered promotion heartbreak season after season and had lost most of its best attacking players and got us into the playoffs.

Many cite Cornelius as a reason Malky failed, yet Warnock arguably spunked away more money than Mackay did.
    Warnock has his enemies but Malky is racist, sexist, homophobic and anti-semitic. A lot of Warnock's signings (although not all) have come good too. As JRH says, he should have walked away after Man Utd.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Warnock has his enemies but Malky is racist, sexist, homophobic and anti-semitic. A lot of Warnock's signings (although not all) have come good too. As JRH says, he should have walked away after Man Utd.
    The absolutely ideal time for Neil Warnock to retire from management would have been the day after we were promoted - I'd say his reputation was as high then as its ever been, but I'm beginning to wonder if he'll ever step away voluntarily from the job. If he got Middlesbrough promoted next season, he'd want to have "one last crack at the Premier League" and then if they went down a year later, he'd then be after his next promotion - just like he was here. Maybe the best thing for him these days is to be a trouble shooter on a short term basis for clubs in trouble because, almost without fail, he goes into a new club and makes a difference for the better, but he'll want more than that I'm sure.

I seriously believe that, provided his health holds up, he could still be managing in his eighties because desperate clubs are showing no signs yet of being put off by his age and while he continues to get relegation threatened clubs out of trouble , I don't see that situation changing - i reckon the jobs too ingrained in him to walk away from the game if someone says they want him.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The absolutely ideal time for Neil Warnock to retire from management would have been the day after we were promoted - I'd say his reputation was as high then as its ever been, but I'm beginning to wonder if he'll ever step away voluntarily from the job. If he got Middlesbrough promoted next season, he'd want to have "one last crack at the Premier League" and then if they went down a year later, he'd then be after his next promotion - just like he was here. Maybe the best thing for him these days is to be a trouble shooter on a short term basis for clubs in trouble because, almost without fail, he goes into a new club and makes a difference for the better, but he'll want more than that I'm sure.

I seriously believe that, provided his health holds up, he could still be managing in his eighties because desperate clubs are showing no signs yet of being put off by his age and while he continues to get relegation threatened clubs out of trouble , I don't see that situation changing - i reckon the jobs too ingrained in him to walk away from the game if someone says they want him.
    Warnock is driven on by his ego. I think he’s desperate to prove himself in the PL by staying up. Only then might he think of retiring.

Hoilett
    Bamba
    Halford

Camp
    Etheridge
    Mendez-Laing
    Paterson
    Ward
    Damour
    Tomlin
    Bogle
    Madine

Cunningham
    Murphy
    Reid
    Smithies
    Bacuna

Day
    Nelson
    Vaulks
    Flint
    Whyte
    Glatzel
    Pack
    Vassell

How many of these came good while Warnock was here?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Hoilett - brilliant
    Bamba - brilliant
    Halford - free, good bloke and he filled in.

Camp - free, need a back up
    Etheridge - outstanding
    Mendez-Laing - brilliant
    Paterson - brilliant
    Ward - fine and done well in spells
    Damour - good, and free
    Tomlin - has his demons, look at him now
    Bogle - gamble but scored in our promotion season
    Madine - shit but we got up so who cares. terrible though

Cunningham - needed a left back, cheap for PL. bennett's form kept him out
    Murphy - ok, he's lost his way
    Reid - made money on him
    Smithies - brilliant now and we needed a keeper in PL
    Bacuna - if we spent 3m on him now you'd be really happy

Day - free, on peanuts and they expected Smithies to go
    Nelson - great and free
    Vaulks - limited but done really well post warnock
    Flint - hmmm. not the best signing we've ever made. I hope we can sell but he's not been as bad as was made out but he's not been good either
    Whyte - swap the w for an s. works hard and lower league gamble
    Glatzel - i don't rate him but some do. he's not awful but he's not 5.5m
    Pack - hard to say but i'd cash in. he probably was better under Warnock than he was for Harris
    Vassell - crock, panic buy after reid and absolutely awful

How many of these came good while Warnock was here?
    A lot have come good since. The freebies have been outstanding, his big money PL signings didn't come off.

A lot have come good since. The freebies have been outstanding, his big money PL signings didn't come off.
    I'm not sure you can give Warnock much credit for players who have come good under Harris. He'd still be playing Etheridge in goal, Flint alongside Morrison, and Pack instead of Vaulks in midfield.

It's incredible how his signings got worse the longer he was here and the more money he was given to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I'm not sure you can give Warnock much credit for players who have come good under Harris. He'd still be playing Etheridge in goal, Flint alongside Morrison, and Pack instead of Vaulks in midfield.

It's incredible how his signings got worse the longer he was here and the more money he was given to spend.
    Like Harris did in the first keg against Fulham, which cost us big time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    Like Harris did in the first keg against Fulham, which cost us big time!
    You're a barrel of laughs.