Quote Originally Posted by pjv1990 View Post
A couple of years ago I found myself homeless after I walked out of a seriously abusive family members house. They were mentally and physically abusive towards me and I'd had enough as I was suicidal as a result (no addiction issues though). I went to Newport Council that morning to try and sort out emergency accommodation so I'd have a place to sleep that night. What I was told by the council horrified and appalled me. They basically said that because I'm a single white male with no children that I'd have to rough sleep on the streets as emergency accommodation was strictly kept for women and mothers as it's dangerous for women to rough sleep. I was told that because I was a man that I'd be able to cope with rough sleeping until I could sort out housing benefits and start bidding on flats etc... They actually put me in touch with someone who could provide a tent and sleeping bag for goodness sake.

Thankfully when an old friend I hadn't seen in a long time found out about my situation he let me stay at his place until everything could be sorted out. Thankfully everything is going well for me now and my life is pretty good at the moment, but that time in my life was awful. Newport Council are a disgrace. Judging by the amount of rough sleepers in the city center nothing has changed.

The whole process had made it clear to me that local councils cannot be bothered with sorting the problem of homelessness, they'd rather spend the money on vanity projects that cost a lot yet achieve very little.

I do feel really sorry for those who are rough sleeping due to mental health issues/abusive family, particularly when their own council don't seem to care about providing for the most vulnerable. Obviously it's a different story for addicts who don't want to change their lifestyle, it's their own fault for refusing treatment/rehab services that are available.

Sorry, but what has being white got to do with this - are you suggesting you would have gotten preferential treatment if you were black? Because that is bollocks.