+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Street Begging

Re: Street Begging

Quote Originally Posted by pjv1990 View Post
    A couple of years ago I found myself homeless after I walked out of a seriously abusive family members house. They were mentally and physically abusive towards me and I'd had enough as I was suicidal as a result (no addiction issues though). I went to Newport Council that morning to try and sort out emergency accommodation so I'd have a place to sleep that night. What I was told by the council horrified and appalled me. They basically said that because I'm a single white male with no children that I'd have to rough sleep on the streets as emergency accommodation was strictly kept for women and mothers as it's dangerous for women to rough sleep. I was told that because I was a man that I'd be able to cope with rough sleeping until I could sort out housing benefits and start bidding on flats etc... They actually put me in touch with someone who could provide a tent and sleeping bag for goodness sake.

Thankfully when an old friend I hadn't seen in a long time found out about my situation he let me stay at his place until everything could be sorted out. Thankfully everything is going well for me now and my life is pretty good at the moment, but that time in my life was awful. Newport Council are a disgrace. Judging by the amount of rough sleepers in the city center nothing has changed.

The whole process had made it clear to me that local councils cannot be bothered with sorting the problem of homelessness, they'd rather spend the money on vanity projects that cost a lot yet achieve very little.

I do feel really sorry for those who are rough sleeping due to mental health issues/abusive family, particularly when their own council don't seem to care about providing for the most vulnerable. Obviously it's a different story for addicts who don't want to change their lifestyle, it's their own fault for refusing treatment/rehab services that are available.

Sorry, but what has being white got to do with this - are you suggesting you would have gotten preferential treatment if you were black? Because that is bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Sorry, but what has being white got to do with this - are you suggesting you would have gotten preferential treatment if you were black? Because that is bollocks.
    I think the point he is trying to make is if you have children , female, vulnerability you may be lower down the list of allocation as they point score your need , not sure how they manage your ethnic appearance or circumstances, they may though consider someone of a different at risk if they were an immigrant or asylum seeker .??

A member of my family fell foul of this scoring process and to be fair high demand thankfully we have come together to find a solution for him . What we did discover was the number of folk particularly women in this awful process due to domestic abuse , the victim flees, and the perpetrator remains unaffected and housed and slapped with a fine ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I think the point he is trying to make is if you have children , female, vulnerability you may be lower down the list of allocation as they point score your need , not sure how they manage your ethnic appearance or circumstances, they may though consider someone of a different at risk if they were an immigrant or asylum seeker .??

A member of my family fell foul of this scoring process and to be fair high demand thankfully we have come together to find a solution for him . What we did discover was the number of folk particularly women in this awful process due to domestic abuse , the victim flees, and the perpetrator remains unaffected and housed and slapped with a fine ?
    I understand the point trying to be made - and yes single males with no major health conditions would be non-priority - I just don't know why 'white' was included. Yes it's an awful thing to go through, glad that your family member managed to find a way through - hope things are better for them now

I understand the point trying to be made - and yes single males with no major health conditions would be non-priority - I just don't know why 'white' was included. Yes it's an awful thing to go through, glad that your family member managed to find a way through - hope things are better for them now
    He just described himself though, he was a single white male

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    He just described himself though, he was a single white male
    I don't think it was a direct racist comment just came out wrong .

They are, thanks for asking , it so easy to slip into that world.

Welsh Goverment controls its own budgets, perhaps they should start at that pojnt,its funded through the Barnard agreed formulas , perhaps closer scrutiny of our own spending projects is needed and of course they have the gift to raise taxes to fund better health and social care ??

This is what we need to avoid 'Extra 30 Senedd members would cost around Ł12m'

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-wales-politics-53677704
    Unfortunately the Sennedd have achieved very little in the 20+ years they have been in devolved power

Bloke opens up about being subject to Mental and Physical abuse.
    Then about being denied use of the “safety net” when he needed help.

Here’s an idea, let’s castigate him because he described himself as a Single White Male.

Unbelievable.

I don't think it was a direct racist comment just came out wrong .
    Of course it wasnt racist

He was describing himself, he was at the time a single white male

I think he was saying newport city Council housing department said they couldn't help him as he was single , male and white , which if they did is disgraceful

I think if what the poster said was just repeating what the council said to him that they couldn't help him because of what he was then its the council that need to answer some questions

I didnt get the vibe the poster was saying that it was his opinion 5hat he couldnt get helped because he wasn't black

If he was saying this he's either mistaken or been given duff info

he said the council said to him they couldn't help him because he was a single white mail

If what he's said is true the council should be investigated

No he didn't. You have said twice now that he was just describing himself - when he was telling us how the Council described him.

If that is right - that the Council implied his skin colour was a factor in their decision, then that is illegal and outrageous. However, I suspect the intention was (as you said) to give a self-description, not an account of what a member of the Council staff said. In which case skin colour or ethnicity may be important to pjv1990 but is as irrelevant to the decision as blood group!

I don't know how far a local Council can go to help someone who is homeless but not in priority need. They have to follow the law but they are very limited in their ability to provide temporary housing for anyone who presents to them. Councils have very limited resources, very limited temporary accommodation of their own, limited access to housing association or private rented housing that can be accessed at very short notice, loads of competing demands. As far back as I can remember (to the late 1980s) Councils have done very little more than provide advice and support to single homeless people who are not vulnerable or otherwise in priority need. They mainly give out lists of addresses and phone numbers of private landlords.... which is a rubbish response for the fifth richest country on earth.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/homeless...ss-legislation

I don't remember there ever being a major distinction in assessments between men and women who turn up as homeless who are not in priority need. Is that right? A woman with children or pregnant - yes - but otherwise that is new to me.

If Councils are channelling scarce resources into vanity projects while local people are on the streets that is totally wrong - provided the money can be switched. The main target with this though is the UK government. They decide the legal framework and they ultimately allocate the resources (even if devolved governments and local Councils can make some changes to priorities). At the start of the Covid crisis they claimed to have got all rough sleepers into a bed with a roof - even if they're not all there now - so it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    No he didn't. You have said twice now that he was just describing himself - when he was telling us how the Council described him.

If that is right - that the Council implied his skin colour was a factor in their decision, then that is illegal and outrageous. However, I suspect the intention was (as you said) to give a self-description, not an account of what a member of the Council staff said. In which case skin colour or ethnicity may be important to pjv1990 but is as irrelevant to the decision as blood group!

I don't know how far a local Council can go to help someone who is homeless but not in priority need. They have to follow the law but they are very limited in their ability to provide temporary housing for anyone who presents to them. Councils have very limited resources, very limited temporary accommodation of their own, limited access to housing association or private rented housing that can be accessed at very short notice, loads of competing demands. As far back as I can remember (to the late 1980s) Councils have done very little more than provide advice and support to single homeless people who are not vulnerable or otherwise in priority need. They mainly give out lists of addresses and phone numbers of private landlords.... which is a rubbish response for the fifth richest country on earth.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/homeless...ss-legislation

I don't remember there ever being a major distinction in assessments between men and women who turn up as homeless who are not in priority need. Is that right? A woman with children or pregnant - yes - but otherwise that is new to me.

If Councils are channelling scarce resources into vanity projects while local people are on the streets that is totally wrong - provided the money can be switched. The main target with this though is the UK government. They decide the legal framework and they ultimately allocate the resources (even if devolved governments and local Councils can make some changes to priorities). At the start of the Covid crisis they claimed to have got all rough sleepers into a bed with a roof - even if they're not all there now - so it can be done.
    I think thats it in a nutshell

There is such little housing left now that local authorities have to judge you on strict criteria

Are you homeless ?

Are u intentionally homeless ......did you have income to pay your rent or mortgage but spent it on a cruise , if your house catches fire you obviously are not

Are you in priority need ? Fleeing domestic abuse , sexual violence, do u have children , mental health problems , physical disability

Do you have a local connection to say newport in this case ?

If you pass all these tests councils have a duty to house you but that might only be temporarily, they also cannot house you if they don't have any houses so a lot of families who are homeless often end up in hostels or bed and breakfast

If you are deemed as homeless but not deemed vulnerable or in priority need then the council often can't do much other than give you a list of hostels or bed and breakfast places . This is where a lot of people end up .

As has been said this country has a disgraceful housing policy

I was just describing the circumstances at the time, that I wasn't part of a vulnerable group therefore was denied any form of help. I'm repeating exactly what I was told at the time. To be accused of racism when I was simply attempting to describe a time in my life where I was denied help by my own council because I was a man and not part of a vulnerable group is pathetic and shows the type of person you are, particularly after I had experienced severe physical and emotional harm that left me suicidal.

It's horrible people like you that contribute to the stigma and problem of mental health. It's utterly disgusting what you've just said and how you've talked to a person who has had to deal with a history of physical and mental abuse.

Jesus christ, I've been a member of this forum for less than a day and I've been attacked and abused for simply repeating the worst time of my life. This has done my mental health a whole lot of good, so thanks for that. What an absolutely horrible person you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

Here’s an idea, let’s castigate him because he described himself as a Single White Male.

Unbelievable.
    Quite.

Give your head a wobble Freitag.

Quote Originally Posted by pjv1990 View Post
    I was just describing the circumstances at the time, that I wasn't part of a vulnerable group therefore was denied any form of help. I'm repeating exactly what I was told at the time. To be accused of racism when I was simply attempting to describe a time in my life where I was denied help by my own council because I was a man and not part of a vulnerable group is pathetic and shows the type of person you are, particularly after I had experienced severe physical and emotional harm that left me suicidal.

It's horrible people like you that contribute to the stigma and problem of mental health. It's utterly disgusting what you've just said and how you've talked to a person who has had to deal with a history of physical and mental abuse.

Jesus christ, I've been a member of this forum for less than a day and I've been attacked and abused for simply repeating the worst time of my life. This has done my mental health a whole lot of good, so thanks for that. What an absolutely horrible person you are.
    did the council say to you that because you were white and male they couldnt help you ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    did the council say to you that because you were white and male they couldnt help you ?
    Here we go.

The CCMB judge, jury and executioner has arrived.

we can see what he meant ( i still think he was describing himself at the time and what the council could see of him ), he was a single white male, he was not a female or a parent with Kids on tow

this place amazes me at times

Unbelievable.
    He didnt describe himself as a single white male

He said the council said they couldnt help him because he was a single white male

Which is a different thing altogether

If someone says I couldnt get a council flat because I wasn't black , they are taking all our housing thats clearly something to discuss

If an employee of newport council said to this bloke looking for help we can't do anything for you because you are a single white male then clearly something fishy is going on . Either newport city council are racist and discriminatory in their housing policy or one of their employees is

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Here we go.

The CCMB judge, jury and executioner has arrived.
    its a simple question

If newport council are saying they don't help single white males , especially with a guy with this vulnerability , then its a question of discrimination

He said the person who interviewed him at Newport City Council told him they couldnt help him because he was a single white man

If that's the case that's outrageous and against the law

The only judge here seems to be newport city Council and they have fecked up

He didnt describe himself as a single white male

He said the council said they couldnt help him because he was a single white male

Which is a different thing altogether

If someone says I couldnt get a council flat because I wasn't black , they are taking all our housing thats clearly something to discuss

If an employee of newport council said to this bloke looking for help we can't do anything for you because you are a single white male then clearly something fishy is going on . Either newport city council are racist and discriminatory in their housing policy or one of their employees is
    Fair enough, that’s what he stated and I’ve no reason to disbelieve him or indeed call him out for what he said.

Fair enough, that’s what he stated and I’ve no reason to disbelieve him or indeed call him out for what he said.
    I think if the council did refuse this guy help and say it was for the reasons stated its a disgrace and I hope he has support if he ever wants to expose them

I think thats it in a nutshell

There is such little housing left now that local authorities have to judge you on strict criteria

Are you homeless ?

Are u intentionally homeless ......did you have income to pay your rent or mortgage but spent it on a cruise , if your house catches fire you obviously are not

Are you in priority need ? Fleeing domestic abuse , sexual violence, do u have children , mental health problems , physical disability

Do you have a local connection to say newport in this case ?

If you pass all these tests councils have a duty to house you but that might only be temporarily, they also cannot house you if they don't have any houses so a lot of families who are homeless often end up in hostels or bed and breakfast

If you are deemed as homeless but not deemed vulnerable or in priority need then the council often can't do much other than give you a list of hostels or bed and breakfast places . This is where a lot of people end up .

As has been said this country has a disgraceful housing policy
    *Cough* * Cough*

Housing (Wales) Act 2014.

It was seen as quite innovative focusing on prevention. In addition to stating the duties of local authorities it also put responsibility on households using the service.

Just read Jon's link mind and it seems England have adopted large parts of it.

I think if the council did refuse this guy help and say it was for the reasons stated its a disgrace and I hope he has support if he ever wants to expose them
    100%