+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vincent Tan - stick or twist?

Banned

Re: Vincent Tan - stick or twist?

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    The world is screwed, who knows when fans will be back.

Can’t see anyone spending much
    I wonder if there are actually any benefits for clubs below the Championship to play to no fans, and generating no revenue, only costs from wages. It's fairly obvious that there won't be paying fans this side of Christmas and it will only take spikes like the ones at Aberdeen and in Lancashire to pull the rugs from under feet. The PL can survive on TV money, possibly the Championship can get by, but below that I can't see much point in actually kicking things off again.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    WOL have done another of their 'short on facts, long on opinion' pieces on what Vincent Tan will do with the club now - against the backdrop of ongoing court cases (Sala fee, Hammam, Isaacs) and his personal wealth dropping due to Covid - with the options of sell, retrench, or spend for promotion all considered by Paul Abandonato.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...roads-18695485

He claims there have been 2 offers to buy the club in recent times - both rejected by Tan on the grounds that they were not right for the future of City (rather than on the size of the offer). He claims Tan has put £165m of his own money into the club over the past 10 years (I assume that is a net figure - although it isn't explicit) and is currently subsidising the club to the tune of £25m per year (again I assume that is the Covid rate of subsidy - although it isn't explicit).

He concludes that Tan is likely to push the boat out again, as he did with Warnock, and spend to give us the best chance of promotion next year. But that is not based on any interviews with Tan, Dalman, Choo or any first hand information. It is based on teeth sucking and tea leaf swirling. It could be right.
    WIGAN

Not withstanding COVID related financial pressures, this season might actually be a good one for Tan to “give it a right go”, with Sheffield Wednesday and Derby County having points deducted, Brentford likely to lose key players and Watford and Bournemouth managerless and also likely to lose players.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Not withstanding COVID related financial pressures, this season might actually be a good one for Tan to “give it a right go”, with Sheffield Wednesday and Derby County having points deducted, Brentford likely to lose key players and Watford and Bournemouth managerless and also likely to lose players.
    Fair point and I think Harris' success with no money will probably give Tan a feeling of confidence for the immediate future in playing terms. However I believe he well understands now that to make any success of the Premier we need to spend far far more than he is prepared to do when we get there. I'm not sure whether he is too keen on us maintaining our record of instant relegation either. Maybe he thinks he has taken the club as far as he can and it now needs new owners of the right calibre to take it to the next level and build upon it.

Well in the absence of anyone else and the fact he's appointed who I think is a very good manager in Harris I say stick

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well in the absence of anyone else and the fact he's appointed who I think is a very good manager in Harris I say stick
    It's a 'stick' for me too. Even if we just manage to tread water, that will be seen as a positive. I think a fair few Championship clubs will be offloading players in an effort to stay afloat.
    We may not have to spend money on transfer fees, I have a feeling there'll be more decent players who are free agents than normal this year.

With quite a few championship clubs in trouble, could be an ideal time for a well run club to prosper? Is that us these days? We probably have the wealthiest owner in the league do we?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    With quite a few championship clubs in trouble, could be an ideal time for a well run club to prosper? Is that us these days? We probably have the wealthiest owner in the league do we?
    Nope

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...football_clubs

Surely Charlton's owner has a net worth of more than 400K?
    Last edited by Rock_Flock_of_Five; 06-08-20 at 09:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Surely Charlton's owner has a net worth of more than 400K?
    That is odd, basically someone with a 2 bed house and has paid off their mortgage in the Charlton area has a net worth of that?

Also if you follow the reference in the wikipedia page it doesn't mention that guy at all, but talks about some Emerati investors.

Banned

Tan owns more than 51% surely.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    To be fair, he has turned into the best owner you could dream of the last few seasons, club seems as stable as it has ever been in my lifetime.
    agreed

He is the best owner i have every known, sure he made a mistake, but he went along way to repair that and must have felt like he lost a bit of face over it all

I think Keiffer Moore would be a good signing at the sort of price that has been quoted recently, but I'm not sure what there is in his career record so far to suggest that he is someone who will score twenty plus goals for a side challenging for promotion to the Premier League?

Apart from that, there doesn't seem much point commenting on an article which can only be speculative in nature.

The next few weeks are going to be very interesting in terms of how much spending there will be in the transfer window. I'm guessing that there will be bargains to be had as better players than normal become available in the cheap/free transfer market -apart from a few gems brought in by Neil Warnock and Joe Bennett by Paul Trollope, this isn't a market we've done well in lately and it's hard to draw many conclusions about Neil Harris yet based on what he did in the market in January.