+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vincent Tan - stick or twist?

Vincent Tan - stick or twist?

WOL have done another of their 'short on facts, long on opinion' pieces on what Vincent Tan will do with the club now - against the backdrop of ongoing court cases (Sala fee, Hammam, Isaacs) and his personal wealth dropping due to Covid - with the options of sell, retrench, or spend for promotion all considered by Paul Abandonato.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...roads-18695485

He claims there have been 2 offers to buy the club in recent times - both rejected by Tan on the grounds that they were not right for the future of City (rather than on the size of the offer). He claims Tan has put £165m of his own money into the club over the past 10 years (I assume that is a net figure - although it isn't explicit) and is currently subsidising the club to the tune of £25m per year (again I assume that is the Covid rate of subsidy - although it isn't explicit).

He concludes that Tan is likely to push the boat out again, as he did with Warnock, and spend to give us the best chance of promotion next year. But that is not based on any interviews with Tan, Dalman, Choo or any first hand information. It is based on teeth sucking and tea leaf swirling. It could be right.

Re: Vincent Tan - stick or twist?

I can’t see there being much money available and we’ll be stuck with the likes of Flint and Pack on considerable wages ( and Vassells probably). It would be good if Danny Ward is kept but I can see him being released. I think it will be much the same again, maybe with Keifer Moore as the only money signing and then Sanderson on loan and maybe one other

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    WOL have done another of their 'short on facts, long on opinion' pieces on what Vincent Tan will do with the club now - against the backdrop of ongoing court cases (Sala fee, Hammam, Isaacs) and his personal wealth dropping due to Covid - with the options of sell, retrench, or spend for promotion all considered by Paul Abandonato.

He claims there have been 2 offers to buy the club in recent times - both rejected by Tan on the grounds that they were not right for the future of City (rather than on the size of the offer). He claims Tan has put £165m of his own money into the club over the past 10 years (I assume that is a net figure - although it isn't explicit) and is currently subsidising the club to the tune of £25m per year (again I assume that is the Covid rate of subsidy - although it isn't explicit).

He concludes that Tan is likely to push the boat out again, as he did with Warnock, and spend to give us the best chance of promotion next year. But that is not based on any interviews with Tan, Dalman, Choo or any first hand information. It is based on teeth sucking and tea leaf swirling. It could be right.
    He's going to be right with at least one of the strategies isn't he. As you say, it is short on facts and long on opinions. Most likely is some cut backs to help pay for someone like Moore and a few others. I don't think Tan will step away completely as it doesn't make financial sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's going to be right with at least one of the strategies isn't he. As you say, it is short on facts and long on opinions. Most likely is some cut backs to help pay for someone like Moore and a few others. I don't think Tan will step away completely as it doesn't make financial sense.
    Owning and subsidising football clubs doesn't make much sense in many respects.

I think tan would spend some money if the circumstances were right to mount a serious challenge.
    they aren't right currently, it would be a huge gamble to throw cash at it today.
    our recruitment is hit and miss
    there are no youngsters coming through
    our squad is ageing and many contracts are running down
    we might be hit with a transfer ban

if we get into a position where the above points are addressed, then we can think about investing significant money with a realistic chance of it getting us up.

Based on we know how much he has put in including the initial sale price if there was one, I’d love to know how much income the club has generated in his time, basically, is he up or down? If we went up the price of the club jumps to a ridiculous level then back down to whatever is it now again.....

Are we debt free yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think tan would spend some money if the circumstances were right to mount a serious challenge.
    they aren't right currently, it would be a huge gamble to throw cash at it today.
    our recruitment is hit and miss
    there are no youngsters coming through
    our squad is ageing and many contracts are running down
    we might be hit with a transfer ban

if we get into a position where the above points are addressed, then we can think about investing significant money with a realistic chance of it getting us up.
    Tan isn't going to chuck money at it but also if he lets the situation rot, we aren't going to go up and then he's going to lose more money. It's an interesting position for him to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Based on we know how much he has put in including the initial sale price if there was one, I’d love to know how much income the club has generated in his time, basically, is he up or down? If we went up the price of the club jumps to a ridiculous level then back down to whatever is it now again.....
    Surely he's way down isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Surely he's way down isn't he?
    Sure he would be, how much revenue do we get each season? Obv more in the PL and with subsequent payments after but it must be a fair wack....we hardly broke the bank on new signings did we? Maybe 80/100 mill? He’d get that if he sold us in the PL....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    This is one for Since62.

I can't remember if anyone has ever tried to put the figures together from the point Tan first invested in the club. The figure of £165m quoted by Paul Abandonato appears (it isn't as clear as it should be) to be the cumulative amount he has put into the club since he first became involved, including loans written off and loans converted to equity.

I thought I had seen an interview with Mehmet Dalman in the last year or so where he said Tan had never taken any money out of the club - ever. He does have an asset for all his investment, alongside a number of liabilities or risks. His investment is obviously worth a lot more in the Premier League.

He may get fed up with Cardiff, his other clubs, and football in general. He may be forced to scale back or get out because of the impact of Covid on his other businesses and income streams. But so far there has been no real evidence that he wants to sell. Tan has been very quiet for a long time but I for one would like to see him do another live fans forum (on the club TV) where he can explain his situation and vision for the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I can’t see there being much money available and we’ll be stuck with the likes of Flint and Pack on considerable wages ( and Vassells probably). It would be good if Danny Ward is kept but I can see him being released. I think it will be much the same again, maybe with Keifer Moore as the only money signing and then Sanderson on loan and maybe one other
    How can we arrange any new signings with a transfer ban still in place ?

Stick best owner ever

I'm hoping Warnock comes in for Flint, if only to get him off our wage bill.

I'm also hoping for a couple of better loan signings than Sanderson quality.

Have a feeling harris may go back to his old club for a signing or two, if the price is right

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    How can we arrange any new signings with a transfer ban still in place ?
    Is a transfer ban in place?

There has been no clarity on this from the EFL, the club or the media - but when we had a thread on this many months ago most posters assumed that the FIFA ban was deferred until the appeal had been heard. The fact that so many press reports (including local press) link us with players but don't mention a transfer ban suggests either that the reporters are clueless (ah....OK) or that there is a general understanding we are not currently operating under a ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I'm hoping Warnock comes in for Flint, if only to get him off our wage bill.

I'm also hoping for a couple of better loan signings than Sanderson quality.

Have a feeling harris may go back to his old club for a signing or two, if the price is right
    Middlesbrough won't have Flint back. They were glad to get rid of him to us

Is a transfer ban in place?

There has been no clarity on this from the EFL, the club or the media - but when we had a thread on this many months ago most posters assumed that the FIFA ban was deferred until the appeal had been heard. The fact that so many press reports (including local press) link us with players but don't mention a transfer ban suggests either that the reporters are clueless (ah....OK) or that there is a general understanding we are not currently operating under a ban.
    Just to add to this. The transfer ban was attached to the FIFA ruling in December 2019. The club signed three players on loan in January 2020. We didn't make any permanent signings in the January window, but I would have thought any transfer ban would also have stopped loans in?

We need to cut out cloth as much as possible. I'm not saying break even but Tan shouldn't be putting in millions every month. We have to many players in big wages who aren't up to it. Sadly moving them on is a problem.

Slow news day. Business has a sale document should anyone show an interest and club need to decide summer transfer budget. Probably got the article set up to republish each summer a bit like the Coxe to Man City article.

To be fair, he has turned into the best owner you could dream of the last few seasons, club seems as stable as it has ever been in my lifetime.

I think that actually reaching the play-offs will have impressed upon Tan that it's worth throwing a few quid at it next season..

You would think we would know if there was a transfer ban actually in place? That would stop all speculation for the next 4-6 weeks but press seem quite happy linking us to various players without mention of any impending ban.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I think that actually reaching the play-offs will have impressed upon Tan that it's worth throwing a few quid at it next season..
    I mean more so than if we had been mid table also rans, but if I was Tan I wouldn't be gambling a load of cash on promotion next year.
    We could easily spend 20 or 30 million and not go up. I tihnk he'll wait until we are a much safer bet and then push the boat out when theres a better chance of getting the money back

The world is screwed, who knows when fans will be back.

Can’t see anyone spending much

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I mean more so than if we had been mid table also rans, but if I was Tan I wouldn't be gambling a load of cash on promotion next year.
    We could easily spend 20 or 30 million and not go up. I tihnk he'll wait until we are a much safer bet and then push the boat out when theres a better chance of getting the money back
    Even standing still in this environment may put us ahead of some clubs who will be cutting costs because of covid.