+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Social Housing

Social Housing

Shouldn't be built in mid-high value areas. CIL contributions instead and building estates in other areas with provisions going to better transport and travel being subsidised.

Re: Social Housing

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Shouldn't be built in mid-high value areas. CIL contributions instead and building estates in other areas with provisions going to better transport and travel being subsidised.

its a relevant point ,I see the government are undertaking a new process to speed up building of homes

if we are to build sustainable , integrated communities we need a mix of housing tenures

And social housing should be built alongside private housing

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    if we are to build sustainable , integrated communities we need a mix of housing tenures

And social housing should be built alongside private housing
    Agreed.

Especially in 'mid-high value areas'.

That will go some way to ending the stigmatisation of the rich and precious.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Agreed.

Especially in 'mid-high value areas'.

That will go some way to ending the stigmatisation of the rich and precious.
    where I live 3 bed apartments overlooking a small river have just been snapped up for 850 k

Its criminal

The land could have been used for a community centre or social housing

But in the world of capitalism money talks and bullshit walks

This country has had it

I clean the windows on some show houses for a national builder, its a nice contract while it lasts, its worth £10 - 15 K a year, i spend a few hours doing them per week, ive been doing them for this builder for 9 years now, currently on my 5th site with the sales team ( who decide who gets the contract )

9 years ago, they would list the " social / part ownership houses " on the site plans

last site, they had a row of 5 bed, double garaged houses, they were up for £400 K ( same houses are £530 on the new site ), one sold, the other 6 didnt, they reduced the prices again and again, the site finished and the sales team moved onto the next site, houses still for sale, i would clean them every week ( as they were high value stock houses, the 1 house that sold was up for sale after a few months, 18 months down the line i am still cleaning these houses ( sure it was great for me £150 a week for 3 hours work, result ) , in the end they sold them to the housing association for cost as they couldnt sell them

Now of course we have realised the reason they didnt sell was the rank of affordable housing the builders had to build behind them, theses houses had its own entrance to the estate, but people spending $400 K on a house do not want affordable housing behind them with a shared rear fence , if anyone had gone around to view it , day or night, the ASB was constant, loud music, noisy kids at any time of the day

Now on this new site the builder doesnt list the affordable / social homes on the site plan now, they grey the area out and its listed as " Land for further development " we can only guess why

as a side note, the small estate i used to live on in my last house used to have no social housing, the builders struck a deal with the council to refurb a social housing estate on the other side of town as a trade off for not having to build them on this estate

Ive worked as a carpenter on VOG council houses for many years before i moved down here, my first " patch " was penarth and the billybanks, then i was moved to Gibby and the Colcot in barry, then i worked on " relets / empty properties all over the VOG " and i always got on well with the tenants ( yes sure some places were rough as hell, some were decent enough ), public buildings / school then beckoned and I never went back to the housing side of it

this question has always interested me ( due to the fact of working on them ), the old idea of " council estates " over time failed, estates became no-go area's and we have moved to trying to integrate social housing into new build estates, this of course has its own issues ( as we have seen above ) Jon mentions ending the stigmatisation of the rich and precious, ASB has recently gone hand in hand with social housing, your average BMW driving double garaged 5 bedroom home owner really doesnt want to spend over 1/2 a mill on a house to have rick astley blaring out of the windows at the rear of his house during the day and screaming / shouting / swearing kids in the evening, that will never change

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I clean the windows on some show houses for a national builder, its a nice contract while it lasts, its worth £10 - 15 K a year, i spend a few hours doing them per week, ive been doing them for this builder for 9 years now, currently on my 5th site with the sales team ( who decide who gets the contract )

9 years ago, they would list the " social / part ownership houses " on the site plans

last site, they had a row of 5 bed, double garaged houses, they were up for £400 K ( same houses are £530 on the new site ), one sold, the other 6 didnt, they reduced the prices again and again, the site finished and the sales team moved onto the next site, houses still for sale, i would clean them every week ( as they were high value stock houses, the 1 house that sold was up for sale after a few months, 18 months down the line i am still cleaning these houses ( sure it was great for me £150 a week for 3 hours work, result ) , in the end they sold them to the housing association for cost as they couldnt sell them

Now of course we have realised the reason they didnt sell was the rank of affordable housing the builders had to build behind them, theses houses had its own entrance to the estate, but people spending $400 K on a house do not want affordable housing behind them with a shared rear fence , if anyone had gone around to view it , day or night, the ASB was constant, loud music, noisy kids at any time of the day

Now on this new site the builder doesnt list the affordable / social homes on the site plan now, they grey the area out and its listed as " Land for further development " we can only guess why

as a side note, the small estate i used to live on in my last house used to have no social housing, the builders struck a deal with the council to refurb a social housing estate on the other side of town as a trade off for not having to build them on this estate

Ive worked as a carpenter on VOG council houses for many years before i moved down here, my first " patch " was penarth and the billybanks, then i was moved to Gibby and the Colcot in barry, then i worked on " relets / empty properties all over the VOG " and i always got on well with the tenants ( yes sure some places were rough as hell, some were decent enough ), public buildings / school then beckoned and I never went back to the housing side of it

this question has always interested me ( due to the fact of working on them ), the old idea of " council estates " over time failed, estates became no-go area's and we have moved to trying to integrate social housing into new build estates, this of course has its own issues ( as we have seen above ) Jon mentions ending the stigmatisation of the rich and precious, ASB has recently gone hand in hand with social housing, your average BMW driving double garaged 5 bedroom home owner really doesnt want to spend over 1/2 a mill on a house to have rick astley blaring out of the windows at the rear of his house during the day and screaming / shouting / swearing kids in the evening, that will never change
    I am not sure I would like to live next door to a BMW driving double garage owner if I am honest but we have an increasing population and we either go back to building tower blocks and sink estates or we build integrated communities because one day we are all going to drop off the cliffs into the sea so we need to find a way of living together.

This thread is confirming that the ‘right to buy’ scheme was a disastrous move.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I am not sure I would like to live next door to a BMW driving double garage owner if I am honest but we have an increasing population and we either go back to building tower blocks and sink estates or we build integrated communities because one day we are all going to drop off the cliffs into the sea so we need to find a way of living together.
    Maybe we should just say both groups don’t really want to live next to each other! Some go to work at 7am, the others just going to bed.... I remember the first place I bought in Atlantic wharf when it was ‘the bay’ as nothing else was there. They chucked in about 10 social housing places, it was carnage, in the end they had to go, they just didn’t fit in with the gleaming new plan for cardiff bay.
    It really didn’t bother me and my mates too much, we liked them as they diverted attention away from what we were doing in 1992.
    When they went, we were the next targets..... they never got us mind.....

Disagree why should I work all the hours God sends to live in a nice house, in a nice estate, then have someone be given a house next door on a plate. Counci estates should be that.

Very many years ago I bought a house in Cardiff and the Council then had a policy of buying up private housing to move in people from their housing lists. They bought the house next door to me and installed what appeared to be a nice family. After a few days the problems began. Their kids started chucking mud at our bedroom windows, junk cars started to appear parked on our pull in and our new neighbours refused to move them and the noise, arguments and threatening looks became intolerable. While I had to get to work by 8am the people next door were at home all day presumably choosing to live off benefits as a lifestyle choice. I was forced to move. That experience coloured my judgement but I appreciate not all Council tenants are like that. But why is it the most troublesome areas appear to exist on Council estates? As a result of my personal experience I don't believe private and social housing is a good mix. I hope I'm wrong because, in theory, a social mix is a good idea but in reality it is not.

I have lived in private rented housing, council housing and am now an owner occupier. I worked in council housing for almost 28 years across all types of job, and from Housing Officer responsible for 5 estate 'patches' (about 1200 homes) to Director. I have seen it all. It is obviously true that there is a concentration of poverty, mental health problems, substance abuse and chaotic lifestyles in rented housing of all types - but especially in council housing that is the final safety net. There are also examples of chaotic lifestyles and extreme anti social behaviour among owner occupiers.

Many council tenants I have known have been the most responsible and house proud you could imagine - and not just the older 'in work' generations who moved from slum housing to the new estates in the 1950s-70s.

What I really kick back against is the stigmatisation of a whole layer of people who often for reasons beyond their control cannot join the 'property owning democracy' that has been fetishised in this country since Thatcher - unlike most of Europe. It is guilt by association and by stereotype. It is what leads to 'No Dogs, No Irish, No Council Tenants'!!!

What next? Segregated areas of pubs and restaurants for the poor filth? Separate shopping times so you don't have to encounter them?
    If this was about race or a certain religion people would be up in arms.

Reminds me of that Micky Flanagan line "We like it round here. You poor people are going to have to f*ck off".

Having said that I think bad neighbours should be dealt with if they can't behave.
    Assuming somebody who can't afford/or choose not to buy houses (renting) is going to misbehave is a bit wrong.

Some of the richest people I know are also some of the most brash, loud, inconsiderate tossers you'll ever meet.

Also be careful at things like gigs, going to the football etc

Rumour has it these parasites on society walk among us.

As I said ‘right to buy’ ruined council estates. The more desirable were snapped up at first and those parts of the estates are ‘private’ estates now, others were bought in what were decent parts but the children of the people who initially bought them are perhaps now renting them out as it’s enabled them to live in better areas. The ones that nobody wanted to buy are now dodgy ghettoes. When these were 100% council estates there were tenants who stayed for ever, some moved on etc but the main factor was that the majority of decent, law abiding tenants diluted the iffy ones. Now the iffy ones are lumped together and they are the majority making the decent minorities life hell.

There have been massive tenure changes in the UK since the late 1970s - through stock transfer, Right To Buy, and the new growth of private rented as housing became more affordable and Right To Buy homes were hoovered up by volume landlords.

Council housing is now at 6.7% of the total and housing associations are at 10.1% - 16.8% combined (approx 1 in 6 homes in the UK). In 1981 the social housing figure (almost all council housing) was 31.7% of all UK housing. It has nearly halved in 40 years.

Owner occupation peaked in 2003 at 71% of all housing. It is now down just above 63%.

Private rented housing was at its' lowest level in 1992 at about 9%. It is now up around 20% of all housing.

More and more, those people who have very little choice and cannot buy or get accepted onto council lists are ending up in private rented homes - many of them ex-council, many of them in 'buy to let' blocks, many of them with insecurity of tenure and lousy living conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    As I said ‘right to buy’ ruined council estates. The more desirable were snapped up at first and those parts of the estates are ‘private’ estates now, others were bought in what were decent parts but the children of the people who initially bought them are perhaps now renting them out as it’s enabled them to live in better areas. The ones that nobody wanted to buy are now dodgy ghettoes. When these were 100% council estates there were tenants who stayed for ever, some moved on etc but the main factor was that the majority of decent, law abiding tenants diluted the iffy ones. Now the iffy ones are lumped together and they are the majority making the decent minorities life hell.
    its no surprise that on some of cardiffs housing estates the right to buy was snapped up

Have not been to Wilson Road, Snowden Road recently but I would be surprised if they are all now privately owned

And a flat in one of the tower blocks in butetown or hollybush Estate?

There have been massive tenure changes in the UK since the late 1970s - through stock transfer, Right To Buy, and the new growth of private rented as housing became more affordable and Right To Buy homes were hoovered up by volume landlords.

Council housing is now at 6.7% of the total and housing associations are at 10.1% - 16.8% combined (approx 1 in 6 homes in the UK). In 1981 the social housing figure (almost all council housing) was 31.7% of all UK housing. It has nearly halved in 40 years.

Owner occupation peaked in 2003 at 71% of all housing. It is now down just above 63%.

Private rented housing was at its' lowest level in 1992 at about 9%. It is now up around 20% of all housing.

More and more, those people who have very little choice and cannot buy or get accepted onto council lists are ending up in private rented homes - many of them ex-council, many of them in 'buy to let' blocks, many of them with insecurity of tenure and lousy living conditions.
    its a disgrace , I look at people I know who made a mint out of buying then selling their council home .....the tories said it was for people to have a home for life .....yeah right .......and then became landlords themselves , all on the back of council housing .....I dont know how people live with themselves

Housing announcement due to tomorrow I hear ?? to try and and tear though some of teh age old barriers allegedly radical reforms to planning systems ,hold tight for the narratives

International

I have lived in private rented housing, council housing and am now an owner occupier. I worked in council housing for almost 28 years across all types of job, and from Housing Officer responsible for 5 estate 'patches' (about 1200 homes) to Director. I have seen it all. It is obviously true that there is a concentration of poverty, mental health problems, substance abuse and chaotic lifestyles in rented housing of all types - but especially in council housing that is the final safety net. There are also examples of chaotic lifestyles and extreme anti social behaviour among owner occupiers.

Many council tenants I have known have been the most responsible and house proud you could imagine - and not just the older 'in work' generations who moved from slum housing to the new estates in the 1950s-70s.

What I really kick back against is the stigmatisation of a whole layer of people who often for reasons beyond their control cannot join the 'property owning democracy' that has been fetishised in this country since Thatcher - unlike most of Europe. It is guilt by association and by stereotype. It is what leads to 'No Dogs, No Irish, No Council Tenants'!!!
    The place where I was born in Cardiff was a council estate built in 1948 as homes for heroes of the day. Obviously in the 80s a lot of people took advantage of the right to buy, but not all and to this day its a mix od private and council homes. (Unless the council has passed the stock to associations, I don't know)
    I have been back in the city full time since early 2017 and in that time I have not found one house on the estate either for rent of for sale. The family that moved into my old house when we moved out in 1961 is I believe still living in it, or their children are, as council tenants. The people on the state are obviously quite content with the mix or there would be more of what I can't find.
    I think as is often the case (See the reports on the bay last weekend) that a few bad ones give all the reasonable ones a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Housing announcement due to tomorrow I hear ?? to try and and tear though some of teh age old barriers allegedly radical reforms to planning systems ,hold tight for the narratives
    It won’t apply to Wales.

Planning is a devolved power.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    England's planning reforms will create 'generation of slums'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ation-of-slums

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    This thread is confirming that the ‘right to buy’ scheme was a disastrous move.
    This x 10