+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Arsenal 55 redundancies - corona

Arsenal 55 redundancies - corona

55 redundancies at Arsenal today. Read their statement today (https://www.arsenal.com/news/club-update-2020) and it’s pretty clear they’ve got their backs to the wall, like all leisure businesses.

This is a club with revenue of £395m

If crowds don’t come back soon then football is heading for real problems

Banned

Re: Arsenal 55 redundancies - corona

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    55 redundancies at Arsenal today. Read their statement today (https://www.arsenal.com/news/club-update-2020) and it’s pretty clear they’ve got their backs to the wall, like all leisure businesses.

Any players we can pick up? Oh no, of course not, the people being made redundant are not on £200k a week (or even year).

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Any players we can pick up? Oh no, of course not, the people being made redundant are not on £200k a week (or even year).
    Can’t blame players when there’s this
    Arsenal FC owner Stan Kroenke — $8.7 billion

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ianto73 View Post
    Can’t blame players when there’s this
    Arsenal FC owner Stan Kroenke — $8.7 billion
    I'm not blaming players. It just seems a bit strange that Arsenal can afford to pay Ozil £18m a year (about 300k a week), but can't afford to pay 55 people what, I would guesstimate, to be £1.7m a year in total. Arsenal will pay Ozil more in the summer break than those 55 folks will earn in a year combined.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post

I remember thinking when Portsmouth were making scores of staff redundant a couple of years after the Final that the total of their salaries probably equated to a couple of players. If the staff at Arsenal were on an average of £30k pa that's equivalent to just over £30,000 per week - probably someone in the reserves.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    I'm not blaming players. It just seems a bit strange that Arsenal can afford to pay Ozil £18m a year (about 300k a week), but can't afford to pay 55 people what, I would guesstimate, to be £1.7m a year in total. Arsenal will pay Ozil more in the summer break than those 55 folks will earn in a year combined.
    how would they have to pay Ozil to buy him out of the contract though? More than £1.7 million I bet.

The whole thing does absolutely stink though, I'd be mortified if I was an Arsenal fan - keeping those 55 people paid for the next year would be an absolute pittance to the owner

Absolute disgrace. They're trying to sign a bloke on 200k a week but they can't pay their staff? Arsenal used to do the right thing.

They used to have 60,000 every home game with one of, if not, the most expensive season ticket in the PL. I appreciate they’ve lost income, like all clubs, due to Covid but come on, have some loyalty to those people, who are the heart and soul of your club. Their CE, was apparently on £2.5-3 million a year, so perhaps some of the highest earners could take a pay cut to help out the lowest paid.