+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Brentford squad value versus City

Brentford squad value versus City

The commentator said last night that Brentford's squad "only" cost £30m.

So I checked out the Fulham starting 11 from the play-off and it was similar (around £34m), with Bobbie being the top fee. Their squad is obviously worth a lot more than that with the likes of Mitrovic & Sari on the books.

Comparing the City starting 11 in the S/F the cost of £24m (of which £10m for Murphy) plus around another £14m sat on the bench in Tomlin, Flint & Glatzel, the rest were free / loans.

Little old Brentford they are not!

Just out of interest Transfer Markt values the squads as:
    Fulham £117m (1st)
    Brentford £63m (3rd)
    City £43m (9th)
    Jacks £33m (12th)
    Charlton £8m (24th)

Re: Brentford squad value versus City

Over the years Fulham have spent a lot more though, Brentford have only spent anything significant in terms of net outlay in the last year really, and have built up to that position without incurring any debt to speak of (until this season)

This didnt seem to stack up to me, so i've gone and checked the actual transfer fees paid.

Across Brentford's entire squad they've spent 42 million on transfer fees, a couple in the 5million region and lots of 1 millions to lower league clubs or for foreign youngsters

Fulham have spent 139.5 million in transfer fees on their squad, and there were also a fair number of academy products in there as well.
    A couple of those players are out on loan, but they still paid for them and could have used them.

I'll check Cardiff's now for a comparison

Cardiff seem to have spent 44 million on transfer fees, with quite a few free transfers in there as well.

The transfer market website is giving an estimated value of squad at current time. Not the amount spent, just shows what good value Brentford have got.

I wouldn't take the website as particularly accurate as 75% of our players value is probably nothing. Also a youngsters price can rocket.

Giving Brentford the "little" because they have spent 30m is condescending and ignorant, they have spent less than they made (36m in player sales), it's an outlier for them when you look at their previous transfer windows (where they'd spend considerably less while still making profit on their better players).

If you want to make a fair comparison, look at our wage budgets. I'm absolutely confident Brentford have one of the smaller budgets in the league given where they sign most of their players from

I used the purchased costs rather than the squad "value", I only used that in the last comparison which is a straight lift from their website.

Regarding wages I don't believe anybodies speculation or web gossip. I still have 3 good friends in clubs (not City) and it's always a case of amusement in conversations. One friend is a brother of a Championship player and the range of players salaries & benefits within his club is massive with some individuals earning 100x more than the player playing next to him. Obviously these players are at different stages of their careers but it's not always a case of parity.

Think the point is that they started with small money, selling players and gradually improving. As they got better players they made bigger money and kept plugging away.

They haven't done their bollocks in attempting to make the promises land.

They don't have masses of debt.

Plucky little Brentford they are.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Think the point is that they started with small money, selling players and gradually improving. As they got better players they made bigger money and kept plugging away.

They haven't done their bollocks in attempting to make the promises land.

They don't have masses of debt.

Plucky little Brentford they are.
    They’re a little club like Bournemouth because of their fanbase which may improve when they move to their almost 20k Stadium and if they continue to improve.
    If I was Tan, I would recruit their Head of Recruitment because they continue to buy cheap and sell someone for £20m plus every year.I believe they want £40m for Watkins and will probably get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Giving Brentford the "little" because they have spent 30m is condescending and ignorant, they have spent less than they made (36m in player sales), it's an outlier for them when you look at their previous transfer windows (where they'd spend considerably less while still making profit on their better players).

If you want to make a fair comparison, look at our wage budgets. I'm absolutely confident Brentford have one of the smaller budgets in the league given where they sign most of their players from
    Brentford always used to have one of the smallest wage budgets in the league, in the 17/18 season it was the 5th smallest, but I think I remember reading that it has crept up over the last couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    They’re a little club like Bournemouth because of their fanbase which may improve when they move to their almost 20k Stadium and if they continue to improve.
    If I was Tan, I would recruit their Head of Recruitment because they continue to buy cheap and sell someone for £20m plus every year.I believe they want £40m for Watkins and will probably get it!
    Its the whole system they've got in place, rather than just a head of recruiitment. And I tihnk that comes down to the owner ultimately