+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff Music Venues , Total Crap

Cardiff Music Venues , Total Crap

why is it a sizeable city like cardiff has such a dreadful lack of venues for live music

In the old days it was the capitol , sophia Gardens , where I saw UFO and killing joke , and st davids Hall which was useless but at least it gave me saxon , rainbow , motorhead , lizzy , etc

Even newport had tjs and the newport centre........sick of it all, agnostic front , wild hearts, stuck mojo

The coal exchange was a great venue , deftones , will haven , corrosion of conformity , clutch etc but long gone now

Cardiff uni is poor but I have seen mastodon , big black , killing joke , rancid , red fang , feeder , dillinger escape plan etc

Motor point arena , shocking grief hole ........seen slayer , mastodon , Peter gabriel, foo fighters , incubus but only TOOL had a good sound

We have nothing like a 4000 capacity venue with sears at the back for us oldies

We have no smaller places like the venue down the docks or the point

We have no decent arena sized venues for the larger touring bands

Its crap

I go to fuel Rock club occasionally and the welsh club but I think thats it

A population not far off half a million

Re: Cardiff Music Venues , Total Crap

I read the other day the Coal Exchange is looking at a change of license to become a live music venue amongst other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    I read the other day the Coal Exchange is looking at a change of license to become a live music venue amongst other things.
    Please god , its a great place

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    why is it a sizeable city like cardiff has such a dreadful lack of venues for live music

In the old days it was the capitol , sophia Gardens , where I saw UFO and killing joke , and st davids Hall which was useless but at least it gave me saxon , rainbow , motorhead , lizzy , etc

Even newport had tjs and the newport centre........sick of it all, agnostic front , wild hearts, stuck mojo

The coal exchange was a great venue , deftones , will haven , corrosion of conformity , clutch etc but long gone now

Cardiff uni is poor but I have seen mastodon , big black , killing joke , rancid , red fang , feeder , dillinger escape plan etc

Motor point arena , shocking grief hole ........seen slayer , mastodon , Peter gabriel, foo fighters , incubus but only TOOL had a good sound

Its crap

It is terrible these days. No exchange, no point, even the tiny Giwdhu however you spell it, gone. It’s always had one or two decent places but I can’t think of one now. Possibly Tramshed? I’m sure some old twat will move into a new flat next door and somehow get it shut down anyway. There’s always clwb for up and coming bands, but the city really needs a good 2000 venue. The motorpoint is the most shocking venue ever, the sooner it’s bulldozed the better.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It is terrible these days. No exchange, no point, even the tiny Giwdhu however you spell it, gone. It’s always had one or two decent places but I can’t think of one now. Possibly Tramshed? I’m sure some old twat will move into a new flat next door and somehow get it shut down anyway. There’s always clwb for up and coming bands, but the city really needs a good 2000 venue. The motorpoint is the most shocking venue ever, the sooner it’s bulldozed the better.
    It needs a good 2 to 3 thousand seater venue , like newport centre .........swansea is building a venue like this so thats us out

And a new arena

And a number of venues like the tramshed

I know you're talking about 2-3 thousand size venues, but it just got me thinking...

... with the demise of many pubs these days, can anyone tell me if the back room of the Royal Oak, Broadway, still has live music most evenings?

I used to love having a pint in there and watching the various bands. It was always rammed in there and a tight, intimate, atmosphere.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...venue-18395656

A piece recently saying Tramshed future in jeopardy

There's been plans to build a 15000 arena down the bay for a while. Lord knows what'll happen to everything with Covid though

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...venue-18395656

A piece recently saying Tramshed future in jeopardy
    Pretty sure that's now been resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I know you're talking about 2-3 thousand size venues, but it just got me thinking...

... with the demise of many pubs these days, can anyone tell me if the back room of the Royal Oak, Broadway, still has live music most evenings?

I used to love having a pint in there and watching the various bands. It was always rammed in there and a tight, intimate, atmosphere.
    Don't think they are very active now

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    There's been plans to build a 15000 arena down the bay for a while. Lord knows what'll happen to everything with Covid though
    all planned but on hold

Between us , bristol , newport , the valleys and Swansea we need a decent arena for the bigger touring bands

I saw TOOL at the cardiff arena in 2006 , staggering but three hours on your feet is a young man's game

I think 10000 would be enough personally

The newport Centre is a great venue for the mid sized bands , 2500 capacity , 1000 at the front 1500 at the back for old gits to sit down

Seem pantera , fear factory , slayer etc in there , great venue

Pretty sure that's now been resolved.
    I hope so ��

all planned but on hold

Between us , bristol , newport , the valleys and Swansea we need a decent arena for the bigger touring bands

I saw TOOL at the cardiff arena in 2006 , staggering but three hours on your feet is a young man's game

I think 10000 would be enough personally

The newport Centre is a great venue for the mid sized bands , 2500 capacity , 1000 at the front 1500 at the back for old gits to sit down

Seem pantera , fear factory , slayer etc in there , great venue
    who hurt you to make you listen to all this angry music?

I would guess that going to see bands in venues at that sort of size isn't as popular as it was in days gone by. Huge gigs in Cardiff's biggest sports stadia seems to be getting more popular and there seems to be more festivals popping up every year, though I might be wrong there.

Music itself has changed quite dramatically over the decades, too. Are there the number of young bands coming through as there used to be?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    who hurt you to make you listen to all this angry music?
    TOOL are the pink floyd of metal

If you want angry listen to meshuggah

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I would guess that going to see bands in venues at that sort of size isn't as popular as it was in days gone by. Huge gigs in Cardiff's biggest sports stadia seems to be getting more popular and there seems to be more festivals popping up every year, though I might be wrong there.

Music itself has changed quite dramatically over the decades, too. Are there the number of young bands coming through as there used to be?
    The Castle also seems to be filling the middle gap quite well at the moment, during summer months (not this year obviously)

If you want angry listen to meshuggah
    I will not.

What capacity is our stadium as a music venue?

The Castle also seems to be filling the middle gap quite well at the moment, during summer months (not this year obviously)
    Do many pubs show bands any more?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Do many pubs show bands any more?
    Hopefully not, pubs are a stupid place for live music.

Last time I looked the plans which put the Tramsheds future in jeopardy have now been withdrawn. They are starting to book plenty of gigs for next year.
    Cardiff also has The Globe, which has some decent gigs but do seem to have a lot of tribute bands in their listings.

Love the Tramshed (only place I've been given iced water by security) but if you're looking at venues for 2/3K how could you have forgotten The Earl Haig Club at Whitchurch. Zoot Money was booked there!!!

Its crap

Back in the day it was never good for indie music in my view , Newport always did better via Cheap Sweaty Fun promoters and TJ's

in my experience:
    students Union great hall: ok
    motorpoint : mostly awful
    club Ivor Bach : good
    the globe : good
    tramshed: Excellent

St David’s Hall is the best venue in Cardiff to see and listen to a band,fantastic acoustic’s.But because of its size (under 2,000 ) its obviously losing out to plenty of bands.
    We do need a major size venue (over 10,000) to attract the best bands that are touring.
    Another thing too is The Millennium is losing out to some of the big guns like Metallica last year and Guns n Roses next year,must be the cost!

Hopefully not, pubs are a stupid place for live music.
    big big pubs are ok but having a band squashed into a corner , usually playing Bryan Adams covers is hell