+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Brentford capacity

Brentford capacity

All this talk of being able to visit a new stadium next season, I looked at the construction details. It only has a capacity of 17,250, with "room to expand in future"!

I realise that Brentford aren't a big club and have plenty of competition for fans in London, and as a result don't want to overstretch their finances, but surely 17,250 is too small for a club that has been challenging for promotion over recent years and almost achieved it this time around?

Re: Brentford capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    All this talk of being able to visit a new stadium next season, I looked at the construction details. It only has a capacity of 17,250, with "room to expand in future"!

I realise that Brentford aren't a big club and have plenty of competition for fans in London, and as a result don't want to overstretch their finances, but surely 17,250 is too small for a club that has been challenging for promotion over recent years and almost achieved it this time around?
    As a Championship club I think that's about right for them. If they got into the Premier League it would not be quite big enough.
    Given their size I think they've been very prudent and probably got it just right.

Time will tell I guess.
    Theyve increased their capacity by just under 50% by moving from Griffin Park, so maybe 17k is enough at the moment. QPR are close by and have a capacity of 18k - they're not desperate to increase.

Seems small to me, but I'm guessing they've done their sums, and it's a very crowded catchment area.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    As a Championship club I think that's about right for them. If they got into the Premier League it would not be quite big enough.
    Given their size I think they've been very prudent and probably got it just right.
    A sensible football club. A rare thing these days!

Bournemouth’s stadium is just over 11K and their catchment area’s much bigger than Brentford’s.
    It sounds sensible to me.

QPR's capacity is just over 1,000 more while Fulham's is another 1,500 more. Seems that Brentford are being realistic

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/newsn...ball-club.html

Stumbled across this from a few years ago which shows how many fans each club would have if everyone supported their nearest, Brentford coming surprisingly highly on that list

Apparently cardiff and Swansea were 3rd and 4th on there, but they were including people in north devon as being nearest, which is pretty unrealistic. think they're pretty high still.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    QPR's capacity is just over 1,000 more while Fulham's is another 1,500 more. Seems that Brentford are being realistic
    Fulham's capacity id going to be 27,500 "increasing to" 30,000 when their new stand is finished.

Seems reasonable for a club like Brentford to me if they really do have "room to expand in future".

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Bournemouth’s stadium is just over 11K and their catchment area’s much bigger than Brentford’s.
    It sounds sensible to me.
    Yeah, but half of it is under the English Channel.

Has there been any mention of how many tickets away teams will get?
    I'm sure they would make more money from more away fans.

We almost always filled the away end at Griffin Park and would sell more if given them in the new ground I'm sure.

I think it is a bit small for Brentford. Even 20k capacity would have been a bit more understandable but I think they're being cautious given their previous average attendances.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I agree. They certainly seem like a well run club at the moment. Hats off to them.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Fulham's capacity id going to be 27,500 "increasing to" 30,000 when their new stand is finished.
    And about a mile to Stamford Bridge isn’t it? Brentford could easily fall back down the leagues where 17k is plenty.

Bournemouth have two problems regarding their ground. The first one is that they don't own it - they sold it in a lease-back deal back in 2005, and now, when they want to buy it back, they can't. It belongs to someone else, and they won't let them expand. That's because of the second reason - the ground is in a very posh and expensive suburb of Bournemouth.
    Even if they could afford to buy up the adjacent land to expand, the council/residents are not going to allow it. The people who own the ground know that they just have to wait - sooner or later the club will have to move, and then the owners have a lovely bit of prime real estate in an expensive location.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    And about a mile to Stamford Bridge isn’t it? Brentford could easily fall back down the leagues where 17k is plenty.
    more like 5 miles..

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Ambitious. Relying on being a top half Premier League club.

Banned

17500 seems plenty for Brentford. I do think they've missed their chance at PL football though, I can't see them being as good next season.