+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picture quiz for veteran supporters.

Re: Picture quiz for veteran supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    David Summerhayes’ brother, Robert (I think)?
    No, just think surnames.

Sitting, second from right is obviously Gareth Bale, his de Lorean is parked by The Bluebirds Club.
    I think this bloke is a jack these days.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think this bloke is a jack these days.
    I’ve studied him Paul, it’s Bale without a doubt

I’ve studied him Paul, it’s Bale without a doubt
    Keith Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Keith Cooper
    Well, it's a K Cooper, the age is about right, he was on City's books as a youngster and I think it looks like him. My considered opinion is that there is more chance of it being him than Gareth Bale

Well, it's a K Cooper, the age is about right, he was on City's books as a youngster and I think it looks like him. My considered opinion is that there is more chance of it being him than Gareth Bale
    Thinking about it there was more chance of it being Tommy Cooper than Gareth Bale

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Steve finished at City in 1965 and left to become player/manager of Kettering Town.

Broke his leg 3 times.
    Yes he actually broke his leg in 1961 when I checked.

A tackle by Denis Law.

My dad never liked Law after that.

Don't think Steve played many games for the City first team again until he left in 1965

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Leighton Phillips for the Welsh International?
    Yet to fill out

My Dad’s favourite player.

The two players in the picture to play first team football for City not identified are the most obscure ones in my view. Sat next to Leighton Phillips is Bryn Jones who started in the team for the first leg of the Cup Winners Cup Quarter Final against Moscow Torpedo which meant that there were two B Jones' in the side - Barrie headed the only goal of the game. Bryn played around ten times for us before moving on to Bristol Rovers.

The other one was the captain David Yorath (in the middle of the front row) who played one match for us in the run to the League Cup Semi Final in 65/66.

The two players in the picture to play first team football for City not identified are the most obscure ones in my view. Sat next to Leighton Phillips is Bryn Jones who started in the team for the first leg of the Cup Winners Cup Quarter Final against Moscow Torpedo which meant that there were two B Jones' in the side - Barrie headed the only goal of the game. Bryn played around ten times for us before moving on to Bristol Rovers.

The other one was the captain David Yorath (in the middle of the front row) who played one match for us in the run to the League Cup Semi Final in 65/66.
    I assume Terry’s Dad?

And Keith Cooper played for us?!

This is a fascinating thread Bob. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I assume Terry’s Dad?

Terry’s brother, from Gabalfa/Llandaff North I think

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I assume Terry’s Dad?

Thanks Bobby. Here's a biography of David Yorath from a City website I have access to;-

"Product of the City youth scheme who played just one game in a largely academic League Cup semi-final second leg against West Ham United, at left back. He left the club shortly afterwards to try his luck with Crystal Palace, but didn't make the first team there, joining Margate in January 1968. He filled both full back positions there, his primary positions, but was also called upon to play the occasional game on the wing and in midfield. He became hugely successful at non-league level, attracting some great priase from fans and press alike, before falling out of favour during the 1971-72 season. He was released during the summer of 1972 by which time he had played 277 matches for the club and scored 38 goals. He joined Tonbridge for the 1972-73 season, and then Romford in July 1973. His next move was to Dover late in the 1974-75 season, before dropping down to amateur football with Thanet. A postscript to his career ensued with an unexpected return to Margate's colours late in the 1980-81 season after a crisis at the club resulted in most of their first team players leaving, but it was a short lived 9 match return, in which he managed one goal. He joined Ramsgate for the 1981-82 season."

As you can see there is no mention of Terry Yorath, but, although I can't find anything to confirm it now, I thought I read somewhere a few years back that they were brothers (David is two years older than Terry I believe).

I know Keith Cooper was an apprentice with us in the sixties and it would be quite a coincidence if we had another K Cooper, who looks like him in my opinion, at around the same time - I'd say it's about a 75% chance that it is him in the photo.

Of course it’s Bryn Jones, I was convinced it was Graham Coldrick but now you’ve pointed it out

Of course it’s Bryn Jones, I was convinced it was Graham Coldrick but now you’ve pointed it out
    I was convinced it was Coldrick as well, what with that jar of Bylcream on his hair