+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoilett to Middlesbrough?

Hoilett to Middlesbrough?

A completely predictable rumour which we were bound to read at some time in the transfer window, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was something to it;-

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...ilett-18737863

Re: Hoilett to Middlesbrough?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A completely predictable rumour which we were bound to read at some time in the transfer window, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was something to it;-

I think I'd sell. Not getting any younger and probably one of Warnock's big earners.

Keep him.

Junior is quality - football brain, good movement, can cross (unlike some of our wide players), scores some great goals (and scores consistently) and he can defend when needed.

He has been a bit hot and cold since the season re-started (seemed to run out of legs in a few second halves) but that may be because he was carrying a niggling injury.

Still only 30 with a year left on his contract (so not much value in selling). Who knows if he is a high earner or not - but unless the club can bring in someone younger and better - sadly the same for Gavin Whyte as well - we should stick with Junior.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Keep him.

Junior is quality - football brain, good movement, can cross (unlike some of our wide players), scores some great goals (and scores consistently) and he can defend when needed.

He has been a bit hot and cold since the season re-started (seemed to run out of legs in a few second halves) but that may be because he was carrying a niggling injury.

Still only 30 with a year left on his contract (so not much value in selling). Who knows if he is a high earner or not - but unless the club can bring in someone younger and better - sadly the same for Gavin Whyte as well - we should stick with Junior.
    Agree. I cannot see Hoilett on big money. I think Warnock got him for free.
    We do have a problem with consistency when it comes to wide players. Mendez Laing and Murphy blow hot and cold and Gavin Whyte seems to be surplus to requirements.

He's one of the few players we have that can make something happen. If we can't replace him, we have to keep him.

Need to try and keep him. He has a much better first touch than many of our other players, he keeps possession better than most of them too.

First Team

Hoilett surprises me. He lacks real pace, looks knackered after halftime but scores the occasional cracker and beats people with mazy trickery. On a bad day he's terrible though. Is he a modern-day Willie Anderson?

I've always felt that Neil Warnock was the only reason Junior Hoilett signed for us - after all, as a free agent, he could have come here weeks earlier if he was so minded, so, is it reasonable to believe that he will want to go to Middlesbrough if they show some interest in him? If it is and Hoilett wants to go, then I don't see much point in keeping him - maybe let him leave in a swap deal?

I've always felt that Neil Warnock was the only reason Junior Hoilett signed for us - after all, as a free agent, he could have come here weeks earlier if he was so minded, so, is it reasonable to believe that he will want to go to Middlesbrough if they show some interest in him? If it is and Hoilett wants to go, then I don't see much point in keeping him - maybe let him leave in a swap deal?
    What get RUDY back

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    What get RUDY back
    I must admit I was trying to think of a candidate when I posted that message, but no one sprang imeadiately to mind! There was a time when I wouldn't have minded Gestede coming back, but not after the last three seasons or so.

I must admit I was trying to think of a candidate when I posted that message, but no one sprang imeadiately to mind! There was a time when I wouldn't have minded Gestede coming back, but not after the last three seasons or so.
    Me neither

Saved us plenty with goals or moments of magic out of nothing. We don't have many who can do that.

Would love to keep him if he is happy to stay, but if Warnock came in for him and he wanted to go then there would be no point in standing in his way.

Has provided fantastic value.

Rudy is out of contract anyway.

Hoilett is one of our technically gifted players and as a poster pointed put still only 30 ,players like him and Albert who went back to Forest have a lot to offer I'd pick both before Murphy . I wonder if this is his agent doing some leg work for new contract discussion, I reckon he'd stay on a 3 year deal offer, with current wages ?

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Agree. I cannot see Hoilett on big money. I think Warnock got him for free.
    We do have a problem with consistency when it comes to wide players. Mendez Laing and Murphy blow hot and cold and Gavin Whyte seems to be surplus to requirements.
    Hoilett signed a new contract in the summer of 2018. He is one of the highest-paid players at the club.

Hoilett is easily our best wide player. Think would be a big mistake to get rid and would cost a fair bit to get someone in. He does struggle against certain defenders but overall is the quality of player who will get you promoted

Hope that we manage to keep hold of Junior as he is easily the best wide player at the club. He can do a good defensive job also.
    If we can't then I would want to see a damn good replacement as the others we have, perhaps with the exception of NML on his day) unfortunately aren't up to it.

Can't Warnock have Murphy instead?

And we're being linked with Jamal Lowe again.

Our best winger and one of our only players with any technical ability

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    And we're being linked with Jamal Lowe again.
    I'd definitely take him as a replacement for Hoilett - be surprised if we went for both him and Moore mind.

For all we know, this might be agent mischief - the player is in the last year of his contract and so they might be trying to coerce the club into extending.
    Saying that, if he is a high earner, the club can get a fee for him and a reasonable replacement can be found, then why not let him move?
    Every player has a price, particularly in these times and if the club can actually strengthen, then it could make sense.

on his day hoilett is still quality, but 31 with 1 year left if we get an offer I would sell, and then go for Ronan Curtis from Portsmouth

I suspect he's one of our bigger wages

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Hoilett is one of our technically gifted players and as a poster pointed put still only 30 ,players like him and Albert who went back to Forest have a lot to offer I'd pick both before Murphy . I wonder if this is his agent doing some leg work for new contract discussion, I reckon he'd stay on a 3 year deal offer, with current wages ?
    Adomah doesn't have a lot to offer these days, his best years are behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    3 year deal on current wages?
    thank Christ you're not in charge of the contracts!