+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Killing Evil Weeds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Re: Killing Evil Weeds

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    So, that article contains the following studies.

1) That glysophate is a cancer "promoter". In other words, the study found glysophate may cause tumours to grow faster. It didn't find that it caused tumours.
    2) An unpublished 1983 study. Unpublished.
    3) Screening of Pesticides with the Potential of Inducing DSB and Successive Recombinational Repair - The study didn't conclude that cancer was carcinogenic.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2018/10/09...e-cancer-13490

The European Food Safety Authority looked at 21 human studies and found no evidence for an association between cancer and glyphosate use. The IARC looked at 19 human trials and found no statistically significant evidence for an association with cancer. It did find three small studies that suggested an association with non-Hodgkin lymphoma (not statistically significant).

As already mentioned, the large Agricultural Health Study found no association between cancer and glyphosate in humans. And the 2016 review by Australia’s regulator concluded glyphosate was safe if used as directed.

It’s possible the animus towards Monsanto and genetically modified organisms may have influenced the recent juries’ decision far more than any science. However, these materials had no impact on the scientific findings.
    https://reason.com/2019/02/21/roundup-ready-cancer/

Case-control studies are notoriously susceptible to the effects of bias, which may be introduced as a result of a poor study design or during the collection of exposure and outcome data.
    https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2...a-second-look/

Over a dozen international and national health agencies have reviewed the safety of glyphosate, some repeatedly, and have found it unlikely to cause cancer and safe when used according to its label.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post

1) That glysophate is a cancer "promoter". In other words, the study found glysophate may cause tumours to grow faster. It didn't find that it caused tumours.
    3) Screening of Pesticides with the Potential of Inducing DSB and Successive Recombinational Repair - The study didn't conclude that cancer was carcinogenic.

The question is do I believe some person on a message board or do I believe the very many articles and legal actions being taken against the Roundup manufacturers as a result of the cancers allegedly caused by some individuals who have used the chemical?

Whatever you might say or think I believe I was right to draw attention to the potential dangers of Roundup.

The question is do I believe some person on a message board or do I believe the very many articles and legal actions being taken against the Roundup manufacturers as a result of the cancers allegedly caused by some individuals who have used the chemical?

Whatever you might say or think I believe I was right to draw attention to the potential dangers of Roundup.

not sure Bayer would have set aside over $ 10 billion to cover it all, maybe they should have come to CCMB and saved all that money

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    not sure Bayer would have set aside over $ 10 billion to cover it all, maybe they should have come to CCMB and saved all that money
    Over a dozen international and national health agencies have reviewed the safety of glyphosate, some repeatedly, and have found it unlikely to cause cancer and safe when used according to its label.

Juries deciding against Monsanto/Bayer doesn't alter that fact.

The European Food Safety Authority looked at 21 human studies and found no evidence for an association between cancer and glyphosate use. The IARC looked at 19 human trials and found no statistically significant evidence for an association with cancer. It did find three small studies that suggested an association with non-Hodgkin lymphoma (not statistically significant).

How many of these studies have you read Matt, and which one should I look at to become better informed?

Juries deciding against Monsanto/Bayer doesn't alter that fact.

How many of these studies have you read Matt, and which one should I look at to become better informed?
    so that confirms it then, Bayer should have joined CCMB and saved themselves over $10 Billion

Banned

so that confirms it then, Bayer should have joined CCMB and saved themselves over $10 Billion
    Not sure of the point you are making, but I am assuming you are making one.

Inform me.

Not sure of the point you are making, but I am assuming you are making one.

Inform me.
    presumably the point is if it is a clear cut as you are saying it is then why have Bayer set aside so much money?

International

Unless of course Bayer weed killer is secretly made of white vinegar, washing-up liquid and salt!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Unless of course Bayer weed killer is secretly made of white vinegar, washing-up liquid and salt!!
    In an alternate universe, people are discussing putting glysophate on their chips

Banned

You seem to have come to a conclusion that I wrote the studies that I have linked.

The decisions taken in the courts don't alter the scientific facts as presented in the sourced articles. You are correct to draw attention to the potential dangers of Roundup, and I am equally correct to link to articles that cast doubt on some of the claims.

If it can make cancer's grow ore quicky, then perhaps it can also cause undiagnosed cancers to upstage from something eminently treatable to something that isn't.

There have been court cases against things that do not cause cancer but do up stage it, with potentially big payouts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    If it can make cancer's grow ore quicky, then perhaps it can also cause undiagnosed cancers to upstage from something eminently treatable to something that isn't.

There have been court cases against things that do not cause cancer but do up stage it, with potentially big payouts.
    The study didn't actually conclude that they CAN make cancers grow more quickly. It concluded that it MAY make cancers grow more quickly.

The court cases will not alter the conclusions of the scientific studies. The ones quoted as "proving glysophate causes cancer" are flawed for reasons outlined in the articles I have linked.

The study didn't actually conclude that they CAN make cancers grow more quickly. It concluded that it MAY make cancers grow more quickly.

The court cases will not alter the conclusions of the scientific studies. The ones quoted as "proving glysophate causes cancer" are flawed for reasons outlined in the articles I have linked.
    Still, if it's a choice between salt and vinegar and roundup then it's pretty clear which is more likely to be harmful.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Still, if it's a choice between salt and vinegar and roundup then it's pretty clear which is more likely to be harmful.
    I agree and I am against the use of pesticides in general because of the damage they cause to insects and bees.