+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Killing Evil Weeds

Re: Killing Evil Weeds

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    The study didn't actually conclude that they CAN make cancers grow more quickly. It concluded that it MAY make cancers grow more quickly.

The court cases will not alter the conclusions of the scientific studies. The ones quoted as "proving glysophate causes cancer" are flawed for reasons outlined in the articles I have linked.
    Still, if it's a choice between salt and vinegar and roundup then it's pretty clear which is more likely to be harmful.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    not sure Bayer would have set aside over $ 10 billion to cover it all, maybe they should have come to CCMB and saved all that money
    Over a dozen international and national health agencies have reviewed the safety of glyphosate, some repeatedly, and have found it unlikely to cause cancer and safe when used according to its label.

Juries deciding against Monsanto/Bayer doesn't alter that fact.

The European Food Safety Authority looked at 21 human studies and found no evidence for an association between cancer and glyphosate use. The IARC looked at 19 human trials and found no statistically significant evidence for an association with cancer. It did find three small studies that suggested an association with non-Hodgkin lymphoma (not statistically significant).

How many of these studies have you read Matt, and which one should I look at to become better informed?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Still, if it's a choice between salt and vinegar and roundup then it's pretty clear which is more likely to be harmful.
    I agree and I am against the use of pesticides in general because of the damage they cause to insects and bees.

I hadn't heard of the salt and vinegar routine. What proportions are used (salt to vinegar) to make an effective weedkiller? I intend to try it on my block paved drive the joints of which are a magnet for weeds

I would expect the roundup to work better, but the salt n vinegar will work, and are much less toxic
    The main disadvantage to the salt and vinegar weed treatment is that it does tend to encourage people to lick the pavement on their way home on a Saturday night, which can have serious health implications obviously. 🤢🤮

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I hadn't heard of the salt and vinegar routine. What proportions are used (salt to vinegar) to make an effective weedkiller? I intend to try it on my block paved drive the joints of which are a magnet for weeds
    One gallon to a cup of salt

Feck knows where you get a gallon of vinegar from though

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    One gallon to a cup of salt

Feck knows where you get a gallon of vinegar from though
    Thanks. Next question. You can buy gallons of white vinegar on ebay but is it white vinegar or the brown stuff that is required?

Thanks. Next question. You can buy gallons of white vinegar on ebay but is it white vinegar or the brown stuff that is required?
    White is fine , you can get it on amazon too

According to the link , lob 1 gallon of vinegar into a bucket , add a cup of table salt , a tablespoon of washing up liquid , mix it up , funnel it into a sprayer and away you go , giving weeds a good soaking

white vinegar stay safe , don't piss on them though as it is a feed

whichever is cheaper, you're killing them not giving them a balsamic glaze

Banned

whichever is cheaper, you're killing them not giving them a balsamic glaze

Over a dozen international and national health agencies have reviewed the safety of glyphosate, some repeatedly, and have found it unlikely to cause cancer and safe when used according to its label.

Juries deciding against Monsanto/Bayer doesn't alter that fact.

The European Food Safety Authority looked at 21 human studies and found no evidence for an association between cancer and glyphosate use. The IARC looked at 19 human trials and found no statistically significant evidence for an association with cancer. It did find three small studies that suggested an association with non-Hodgkin lymphoma (not statistically significant).

How many of these studies have you read Matt, and which one should I look at to become better informed?
    so that confirms it then, Bayer should have joined CCMB and saved themselves over $10 Billion

Banned

so that confirms it then, Bayer should have joined CCMB and saved themselves over $10 Billion
    Not sure of the point you are making, but I am assuming you are making one.

Inform me.

Not sure of the point you are making, but I am assuming you are making one.

Inform me.
    presumably the point is if it is a clear cut as you are saying it is then why have Bayer set aside so much money?

presumably the point is if it is a clear cut as you are saying it is then why have Bayer set aside so much money?
    From Independent quite recently:
    Roundup weedkiller could be pulled from British shelves after $289m US lawsuit finds link to cancer
    Homebase reviewing weedkiller products after terminal cancer sufferer awarded £226m compensation in US

Banned

I'm not sure that was the point being made.

Bayer have set aside so much money because a jury (not scientists) decided that there was a link between glysophate and cancer. That doesn't mean there is a scientific link.

Bayer, however, continue to sell Roundup, and they haven't amended the labelling. Shops continue to stock Roundup. And scientific studies continue to fail to conclude that glysophate is carcinogenic.

Of course, the jury service is a completely infallible system, and no jury ever has wrongfully convicted anyone.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    From Independent quite recently:
    Roundup weedkiller could be pulled from British shelves after $289m US lawsuit finds link to cancer
    Homebase reviewing weedkiller products after terminal cancer sufferer awarded £226m compensation in US
    You say recently, but the article has it's 2nd birthday tomorrow.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-a8488226.html

This link isn't as old, and shows Roundup is still stocked at Homebase

https://www.homebase.co.uk/search/pr...directFrom=Any

Ingredients still include 170g/l of glysophate.

International

Unless of course Bayer weed killer is secretly made of white vinegar, washing-up liquid and salt!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Unless of course Bayer weed killer is secretly made of white vinegar, washing-up liquid and salt!!
    In an alternate universe, people are discussing putting glysophate on their chips