+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Josh Low's son sign's for the Wurzles

Josh Low's son sign's for the Wurzles

Interesting that he's been called up by Wales @ U18.

Can't agree that Josh was a "graceful winger" ungainly more like

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.u...former-4410655

Oops sorry, unable to edit apostrophe alert!

Re: Josh Low's son sign's for the Wurzles

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post

His son was probably down to sign for us, although i guess that if Josh was driving, he didn't judge things that well, mis judged his speed and journey time and ended up in Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    His son was probably down to sign for us, although i guess that if Josh was driving, he didn't judge things that well, mis judged his speed and journey time and ended up in Bristol.
    josh low was a useful player poor kid bullied by the crowd

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post

Oh, the times Low would race down the wings and get us all excited, only to deliver his cross straight into the empty Canton Stand.

I feel a bit old now, seeing he has a kid that is playing.

Only other things I remember of Low were that he was, and still is, Northampton Town's record signing and he was asthmatic.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    He wasn't the best, but he gave everything he had. Agree,he was bullied at times by our fans.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Was in the Division 3 team of the season.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He wasn't the best, but he gave everything he had. Agree,he was bullied at times by our fans.
    He was tall for a winger back then, good physique and had decent pace. Once his confidence went, it was painful, and he was someone that I always hoped would turn it around.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Was in the Division 3 team of the season.
    Whilst with us?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Whilst with us?
    Yes. I think he was joined by Gabbidon. From memory Earnshaw missed out in place of Zamora. TLG has the stats, I think.

He enjoyed success at a higher level than he managed with us.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    He was tall for a winger back then, good physique and had decent pace. Once his confidence went, it was painful, and he was someone that I always hoped would turn it around.
    Yes, agree totally with your analysis. He certainly looked the part and had great speed too. Trouble was he didn't have a good football brain and like all confidence players he flattered to deceive.

One wonders what might have happened if he had had a top class coach and a better man manager. All the raw materials were there but the taunts from the crowd finally did for him.

From memory, Josh signed for us towards the end of the 99/00 season when we were relegated back to the fourth tier. At the time, we were a club with no great sense of expectation, but then, during that summer, Sam Hammam came along and the whole outlook changed.

There's a thread about the wurzels' new manager in which some take the piss out of them for some daft comments by Lee Johnson a few years back which talked about their target being to compete in Europe, but, let's face it, that was the sort of thing we were coming out with in the early years of this century wasn't it. We went from a lower division club that hoped to recapture earlier glories to a club where the sky was the limit on the back of the new owner's hyperbole and spending of money he didn't have.

One of the by products of all this was that some City fans became far more demanding of the players than they had been pre Hammam. It would have been interesting to see how Low would have done if we had kept the outlook we had when he signed for us because, certainly at lower division level, he had something and could be unplayable on his day. Low showed this for much of his first full season, but found it harder in what is now League One and the question for me about him was whether he was just not good enough or were supporters not showing the same patience with him in their rush to see us in the Premier League?

The answer is inevitably somewhere between those two options - although Low played some Championship football at Leicester, he was a lower league player to all intents and purposes, but I definitely don't think his career was helped by the way he was treated by some of our supporters.

On a similar subject, here's an interview with another who suffered at the hands of supporters caught up in the Hammam PR blitz, Rhys Weston.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...n-man-18732163

Some fans need to be careful that this doesn’t happen to Josh Murphy.
    The way some people speak about him is disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

On a similar subject, here's an interview with another who suffered at the hands of supporters caught up in the Hammam PR blitz, Rhys Weston.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...n-man-18732163
    Interesting article. Weston was bought, seemingly because of the Welsh connection, as a centre-half. The club figure he's not good enough to play there and push him out to right back. And when they've had enough of him he (allegedly) gets a bad reference - even after taking a wage cut to help the club. No wonder players get what they can and show little loyalty.

I remember an incident during a game when RW went down injured but play continued and the opposing winger was given the freedom to score or at least set-up a chance (I can't remember). Weston seems like a rational sort so probably thought why bother moving? Any effort would be futile anyway in that condition, but football doesn't think like that and you could see Dave Jones wasn't impressed with Weston sitting still (but in pain). So maybe that's where "the attitude" comes from?

Or perhaps Rhys often corrected Jones's constant use of "of" instead of "have".

I always liked Josh Low