+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Cringeworthy City Moment

Re: A Cringeworthy City Moment

I might be way off the mark here but didn’t we once buy a ten seater plane to fly the team to away games?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I might be way off the mark here but didn’t we once buy a ten seater plane to fly the team to away games?
    Kenton Utilities

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Kenton Utilities
    indeed

Middlesbrough being the first trip , sort of

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Red Scarves for me

Most of the toilets were blocked up with them and the urinals and a big mound of them were set on fire in the Ninian stand
    Utter fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Utter fantasy.
    Well it was in the western mail and there were loads of letters at the time supporting the lobbing of the scarves into the piss trays and reports of scarves being set on fire

What do you know that the Western mail that night didn't?

Spill the beans

standing with 2500 other city fans watching city getting dicked by Bury and getting relegated , yet again , to the old fourth division

It was a boiling hot day and it took ages to get home as there was a pile up on the M5

5 nil down at home against Maidstone, the crowd is announced as 8000 odd and we are thanked for our support

I think by the time the announcement was made the crowd was about 2500

was there a time when Bartley bluebird stuck the head on an opposition mascot

The cartoon superhero-type mascots we had for the first few years at the CCS

Mike Dean being hit on the head by a coin in the last Derby against the jacks at Ninian Park

standing with 2500 other city fans watching city getting dicked by Bury and getting relegated , yet again , to the old fourth division

It was a boiling hot day and it took ages to get home as there was a pile up on the M5
    Result aside, that was actually a good day. Bank Holiday weekend as I recall. On the piss in Eccles before the game and then spent the night in Liverpool. Crazy to think that Nathan Blake played in the 4th Division.

Bury away. Rainy midweek game and we got thrashed. Spencer Prior came over to apologise to the fans I seem to remember. I think Bartley was shitfaced and had a scrap with their mascot.

1. The Icelandic flag that a fan brought to games for 3 years following Euro 2016, waving it at English away fans at every opportunity.
    2. The giant soul crew flag that appeared last year

Well it was in the western mail and there were loads of letters at the time supporting the lobbing of the scarves into the piss trays and reports of scarves being set on fire

What do you know that the Western mail that night didn't?

Spill the beans
    I was in the Ninian that night, and I don’t recall any fires or the toilets over flowing.

A few, threw their scarves onto the pitch. One or two people towards the end doing the same and hurling lots of abuse at the rest of our subdued fans.

And I also recall lots of surplus scarves left on the concourse as we walked out. But let’s not re write history, it was an embarrassing, pathetic response from us, who by and large just accepted it.

And were glad of a freebe.....

Don’t think the last game at Ninian or the red shirts will be beaten as a top 2 but this is up there

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GbjqBi_VwbA

The tannoy announcement towards the end of the Stoke playoff game in 2002.
    Stay behind after the final whistle to applaud the players as they take a lap of honour.
    Cue Stoke's equaliser an extra time winner 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrickman View Post
    I was in the Ninian that night, and I don’t recall any fires or the toilets over flowing.

A few, threw their scarves onto the pitch. One or two people towards the end doing the same and hurling lots of abuse at the rest of our subdued fans.

And I also recall lots of surplus scarves left on the concourse as we walked out. But let’s not re write history, it was an embarrassing, pathetic response from us, who by and large just accepted it.

And were glad of a freebe.....
    We all know that the support base of this football club by and large accepted the change to Red. Some were just happy to be promised money for players , some openly embraced the idea , some threatened others who didn't want our colours changed etc and many reluctantly accepted the change whilst voicing their displeasure

But with regard to the specific point I distinctly remember reading reports of scarves being set on fire , toilets being blocked and the urinals full of red scarves

In the following days letters were being posted online and in the western mail from " angry of Bedwas " saying some of our fans were yobs for their actions

The club of course had two options , to openly come out and criticise those who flushed scarves down the bogs and blocked them or keep quiet , printing silly pictures of fans in red , which they did .

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Don’t think the last game at Ninian or the red shirts will be beaten as a top 2 but this is up there

I think we have a winner

Christ that was dreadful , that bloke , who is the son of an ex city reporter was just trying to cash in on the success of the club

The video was second rate nonsense

But with regard to the specific point I distinctly remember reading reports of scarves being set on fire , toilets being blocked and the urinals full of red scarves.
    Pure fantasy.

I know id had a few but I really enjoyed that day. The team was utter garbage but had a right go that day.

As bad as they were some Dave Jones teams with so much talent were far more embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post

Good point. This has to be right up there.

I remember stories of toilets being clogged by scarves, but nothing about fires

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/l...rotest-2495985

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Good point. This has to be right up there.
    Which reminds me......

When I went to the Belgium vs Wales game at Euro 2016, I drove with my middle son, but we got caught up in some bad delays at Eurotunnel.

The hold ups were so long that we were in danger of missing the game despite having booked onto a morning train. Eventually, we got in the queue, even though our train hadn't been announced, and by showing our match tickets, were waved on.

Once we got going, and debating if we'd make it in time, I got chatting to the people in the car behind us who were also going to the game. They said that they didn't know the route to Lille and so asked if they could follow us - I said that they were welcome to but I'd not be hanging around! We made the game with 9 mins to spare. I don't know whether they did.

Anyway, the driver of the other car in our carriage was......the chap in the video. I remember saying that I recognised him from somewhere and yes, he is related to some Western Mail journalist from recollection. He seemed like a very decent chap by all accounts.

(I didn't ask him for a rendition, in case you are wondering )

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I remember stories of toilets being clogged by scarves, but nothing about fires

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/l...rotest-2495985
    it does mention them being sat alight in that article. Although I remember at the Arsenal away FA Cup match in 2009 (?, the replay after a 0-0 at NP) a bunch of city morons trying to set an Arsenal scarf on fire in the ground and failing miserably. That's up there with embarrassing moments as well, the Arsenal fans above us were looking with sheer bemusement

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Pure fantasy.
    Oh dear

It seems like I was right

There were press reports of red scarves being set alight and shoved in the bogs and urinals

The only fantasist here is you Mr Gunman