Its almost kaardiff

Re: The Boston United States Accent

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Its almost kaardiff
    More than a hint of Derry in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    More than a hint of Derry in there.
    Apparently the caaar side of things is very much a port influence due to Irish immigration

Boston , Liverpool and Cardiff all had massive Irish immigration and it was no surprise to me that when I went to college my mate from Grangetown was always asked if he was from Liverpool

People from port talbot also abuse their vowels in this manner

Apparently the caaar side of things is very much a port influence due to Irish immigration

Boston , Liverpool and Cardiff all had massive Irish immigration and it was no surprise to me that when I went to college my mate from Grangetown was always asked if he was from Liverpool
    Many people in England assumed I was a scouser when I was younger. "You don't sound Welsh". How many times have those of us from Cardiff and the Vale heard that? I remember the first time an English person actually placed me as being Welsh. It was a Liverpudlian cab driver.

Been asked a lot over here if I’ve spent time in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Been asked a lot over here if I’ve spent time in Boston.
    Baaston lol

Baaston lol
    That’s exactly how they say it.
    😁

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Many people in England assumed I was a scouser when I was younger. "You don't sound Welsh". How many times have those of us from Cardiff and the Vale heard that? I remember the first time an English person actually placed me as being Welsh. It was a Liverpudlian cab driver.
    a very strong cardiff accent is like nothing in Wales

Not much difference between a swansea accent and the rest of South wales but cardiff and Newport are totally different to all of them

That’s exactly how they say it.
    😁
    Its really raw , supposed to be a tough , blue collar seaport city , like cardiff really

I live in the United States, and only once has anyone ever correctly identified me as Welsh. It was my barber, the first time I got my hair cut by him. Typical old-style barber shop, walls covered three deep with sports memorabilia and a line of guys sitting in chairs waiting their turn. Not a woman in sight. "You have an accent," he said. "Where you from?"

Well, I said, we have some time so why don't you guess? Usually, when I say this to people we go on a world tour, from England to Scotland to Ireland, to Canada, to New Zealand, even to South Africa. No one ever thinks of Wales.

But this guy, he stood back, pondered a while, and said:

"You're from that country Tom Jones is from."

And I had to admit it was true.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    I live in the United States, and only once has anyone ever correctly identified me as Welsh. It was my barber, the first time I got my hair cut by him. Typical old-style barber shop, walls covered three deep with sports memorabilia and a line of guys sitting in chairs waiting their turn. Not a woman in sight. "You have an accent," he said. "Where you from?"

Well, I said, we have some time so why don't you guess? Usually, when I say this to people we go on a world tour, from England to Scotland to Ireland, to Canada, to New Zealand, even to South Africa. No one ever thinks of Wales.

It usually is a geographical A-Z before I lose patience and say Wales.
    In all fairness, people who have actually heard of Wales seems to have gone up tenfold in the 18 years that I have been here.

Where abouts in The US are you?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post

Wow. That doesn't happen very often over here. Most of them haven't even heard of Wales outside the context of Prince of or Princess of.

It usually is a geographical A-Z before I lose patience and say Wales.
    In all fairness, people who have actually heard of Wales seems to have gone up tenfold in the 18 years that I have been here.

Where abouts in The US are you?
    Omaha.

Always quite liked the Boston accent, New York meets the Irish with cardiff in it....

Wow. That doesn't happen very often over here. Most of them haven't even heard of Wales outside the context of Prince of or Princess of.
    I go to America a couple of times a year and gave up explaining a long time ago.
    If you say you're Welsh or from Wales it's usually a polite.. 'Oh, OK' followed by a moment of silence while they try and work out where tf it could be.
    I find it a lot simpler to just say the UK these days.
    I've never been patriotic in a Welsh sense anyway (apart from the football) so it makes no difference to me. JMO..

Old Gwenhwyseg (basically native south east Walian Welsh dialect) also used to do something similar to its vowels.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Old Gwenhwyseg (basically native south east Walian Welsh dialect) also used to do something similar to its vowels.
    cardiff and Newport are so different , Newport has that strong west country influence in round and town etc but its said that both are highly influenced by Irish immigration , hence them sounding a bit like scouse and Boston