+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should we sell Tomlin

Re: Should we sell Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Cheer up. We finished 5th. The pessimism on this board is absolutely ridiculous. Mid table at best? We're not going to go down for Christ's sake.
    Yes it sounds pessimistic I know but I am of the opinion that our fantastic finish to the season, ending up 5th, was punching well above our weight.
    When I look at the strength in depth of next seasons championship, I feel that City need 3-4 signings (not squad players but first eleven) to continue to move on.
    Since my original post I am hearing that Kiefer seems to on his way here, so I feel a lot more positive.
    Incidentally, are your comments re Wilson tongue in cheek or is there some reality that we could land him ?
    Liverpool have clearly stated that he is not available for a loan deal

No way.
    Tomlin has ability that no other in the side has. His passing and vision are as good as most in the EPL, and he scores goals.
    His fitness might be called into question at times but even when not fully fit, he can influence games.
    Wouldn't get a huge fee and even if we did, he would need to be replaced.

I'd like to see us bring someone in to challenge Tomlin or even play alongside him.

Make a creative midfielder top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Yes we urgently need another creative attacking player who can play the full 90 minutes if necessary and use Tomlin in the last 30 minutes if required.
    However like all our players if we get the right offer, approx 2m for Tomlin, he will be gone! Every footballer or Manager will go for the right price!
    It should take far more than £2m to sell our only creative player...

Is the Pope a Protestant?

He should stay at Cardiff for as long as he can still play. Who knows how long , but at 31 his market value is nothing like what he's worth to us for as long as it lasts. Might be two more games or three more seasons and he might go back to his old ways, but he's already more than repaid what was spent and let's hope there's more.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    He should stay at Cardiff for as long as he can still play. Who knows how long , but at 31 his market value is nothing like what he's worth to us for as long as it lasts. Might be two more games or three more seasons and he might go back to his old ways, but he's already more than repaid what was spent and let's hope there's more.
    Played 51 games for us in 3 years and scored 9 goals!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Should we sell him?

Pros:
    - something to talk about during the silly season

Cons:
    - everything else

On balance: no, it would be lunacy.
    +1

Played 51 games for us in 3 years and scored 9 goals!
    8 goals and 10 assists in 31 this season.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    8 goals and 10 assists in 31 this season.
    Yes,Harris has certainly got the best out of him since becoming our Manager, let’s hope he keeps him fit next season!

Yes,Harris has certainly got the best out of him since becoming our Manager, let’s hope he keeps him fit next season!
    he needs to be on top of his fitness, he seems to be a player that doesn't look naturally fit , so I guess a real effort is needed, there are times where he looks half a yard off the pace

No

Some Cardiff fans are idiotic on times. The OP and 2 or 3 other posts on this thread have me shaking my head in disbelief.

Not that we are likely to get any bidders but let’s say we did get 2m for him what’s that going to buy us? 2m buys you a Gavin Whyte ffs.

A younger version of Tomlin who’s going to get you a goal or assist every other game at top end of championship level will cost eight figures.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Some Cardiff fans are idiotic on time. The OP and 2 or 3 other posts on this thread have me shaking my head in disbelief.

Not that we are likely to get any bidders but let’s say we did get 2m for him what’s that going to buy us? 2m buys you a Gavin Whyte ffs.
    I'm hoping that with the correct players around him, that Tomlin has one more big season in him.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Yes it sounds pessimistic I know but I am of the opinion that our fantastic finish to the season, ending up 5th, was punching well above our weight.
    When I look at the strength in depth of next seasons championship, I feel that City need 3-4 signings (not squad players but first eleven) to continue to move on.
    Since my original post I am hearing that Kiefer seems to on his way here, so I feel a lot more positive.
    Incidentally, are your comments re Wilson tongue in cheek or is there some reality that we could land him ?
    Liverpool have clearly stated that he is not available for a loan deal
    If the season started when Harris was appointed we’d be 5th, he’s done a cracking job. We’ve got a good squad and we will be right up there in challenging for the top 6. We’ve got obvious failings but he wants 3 or 4, so some minor surgery I will be happy.

Wilson isn’t coming here ha. Well I hope he does but we’ve got no chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm hoping that with the correct players around him, that Tomlin has one more big season in him.
    No doubt if we can get legs around him he does. He’s so technically good that he hasn’t needed his fitness as much as some would.

But imagine it was Man City, and them building around David Silva, with no idea of a successor in his particular role (obviously they do).

We’re signing players in my opinion on a formation that’s dictated by playing Tomlin who’s often either unfit or injured.

When he is 100% he’s arguably one of the best players in the division but the risk is quite a big one, considering he’s just signed a new contract presumably on big wages.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    No doubt if we can get legs around him he does. He’s so technically good that he hasn’t needed his fitness as much as some would.

But imagine it was Man City, and them building around David Silva, with no idea of a successor in his particular role (obviously they do).

We’re signing players in my opinion on a formation that’s dictated by playing Tomlin who’s often either unfit or injured.

When he is 100% he’s arguably one of the best players in the division but the risk is quite a big one, considering he’s just signed a new contract presumably on big wages.
    We're building a system around a creative player. We need creative players otherwise we just end up with plodders. It's not like we're building the entire team around a really good left back. We shouldn't rely on just Tomlin but I'd sign more players like him, not less. I really don't understand your point at all. If we sell Tomlin, we've got Ralls as our next best option. I really like Joe but he isn't going to see the passes Tomlin does!

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

but we're not Man City, therefore building a Championship team around a 31 year old who's one of the best creative players in the division is not as crazy an idea

I think a PL loan is the best option as cover for Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I think a PL loan is the best option as cover for Tomlin.
    Spot on Hilts and if we got promoted we could possibly afford to sign him! Leeds,WBA and Fulham all had top Premier League loans!