Pros
    Our only creative player

Cons
    His stock won’t get any higher
    Hefty wage
    31 and the team is being built around him

Can’t see us doing anything next year so spend it rebuilding

Re: Should we sell Tomlin

Who’s likely to buy him? And for how much?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Who’s likely to buy him? And for how much?
    I would like to assume there’s a buyer in the market for £2-3m. Clubs with better finances would take a punt I would think.

Speculation obviously but that’s the fun of football

No. And we made the playoffs, why can't we do so again?

It is a good point to raise, we are so heavily reliant upon him, while being so injury prone, ageing and only going to go down hill from here on out, may be right to take a proactive approach.

although all that being said, I would like him for one more season.

christ no , hes a game changer , premiership class if he was mid twenties

For a side looking for a top six finish again hes vital

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I would like to assume there’s a buyer in the market for £2-3m. Clubs with better finances would take a punt I would think.

Speculation obviously but that’s the fun of football
    hes 31 and not always match fit , he won't command a fee now but he's still very good championship quality

Great idea, lets sell the only footballer in the club

Should we sell him?

Pros:
    - something to talk about during the silly season

Cons:
    - everything else

On balance: no, it would be lunacy.

I'm interested in people who say 'stay in the champ for another year and rebuild', build with what money? Unless you've just come up from league 1 the goal should always be the play offs and Tomlin gives us that quality that sets us from other teams. Plus how much would we get for him? 2/3m if that. That isn't going to 'build' anything, it'll weaken us and strengthen another champ club because I can't see him going to a PL side.

Keep him unless someone came in with daft money, given the issues at the moment that isn't going to happen anyway

No.

We wouldn't get an awful lot for a 31 year old who has only proved himself at Championship level in his career - if it's the same Tomlin that turns up in 20/21 that we had in 19/20 then definitely keep him and try to ensure that he no longer stands out like a sore thumb when it comes to creativity and flair.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Great idea, lets sell the only footballer in the club
    It’s traditional!

No

Not at present.
    We do, however, need to bring in a player who can fulfil the role for a full game, with Tomlin available as a backup or cover.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    It’s traditional!
    That Aaron Ramsey is a good prospect ........ping ..........hes gone

Can't think of a single reason why this is a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Not at present.
    We do, however, need to bring in a player who can fulfil the role for a full game, with Tomlin available as a backup or cover.
    Yes we urgently need another creative attacking player who can play the full 90 minutes if necessary and use Tomlin in the last 30 minutes if required.
    However like all our players if we get the right offer, approx 2m for Tomlin, he will be gone! Every footballer or Manager will go for the right price!

In my opinion we shouldn't be selling our best player, especially when the fee isn't going to be great.

We need to bring in someone to compete for the role, can take some of the pressure off him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    No. And we made the playoffs, why can't we do so again?
    Looking like the same ageing squad next year so mid table at best. We cannot score goals and if we fail to sign Moore it shows how the club is viewed by players. For the sake of his international future I though City were a given.
    If it was a premiership club in for him I could understand, but Middlesbrough !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We wouldn't get an awful lot for a 31 year old who has only proved himself at Championship level in his career - if it's the same Tomlin that turns up in 20/21 that we had in 19/20 then definitely keep him and try to ensure that he no longer stands out like a sore thumb when it comes to creativity and flair.
    Who would pay good money fora 45 minute player ?

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Looking like the same ageing squad next year so mid table at best. We cannot score goals and if we fail to sign Moore it shows how the club is viewed by players. For the sake of his international future I though City were a given.
    If it was a premiership club in for him I could understand, but Middlesbrough !!!!
    We were the 4th highest goal scorers in the Championship in 2019-20!

Our main problem last season was conceding too many poor goals - we went from a watertight defence to a very leaky one.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Cheer up. We finished 5th. The pessimism on this board is absolutely ridiculous. Mid table at best? We're not going to go down for Christ's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Pros
    Our only creative player

Cons
    His stock won’t get any higher
    Hefty wage
    31 and the team is being built around him

Can’t see us doing anything next year so spend it rebuilding
    Definitely, we should sell him.

You are right he is 31, just been given a big contract. he's either injured our unfit most of the time and turns it on for about 15 minutes in the games he played.

But, he was top league goalscorer with 8 and top of assists with 10 (I think). So he did a good job last season. Highlights for me were the late goal against Barnsley, a superb free kick and the pass for Murphy to run away and score at Middlesbrough.

When I hear the likes of Smithies and Ward were on £30k and £20k pw each it is no wonder the club is haemorrhaging money!

In the current climate nobody would pay a fee and his wages for a 31 year old......except maybe a certain Mr Warnock?! And he could take Bamba with him too.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Definitely, we should sell him.

You are right he is 31, just been given a big contract. he's either injured our unfit most of the time and turns it on for about 15 minutes in the games he played.

But, he was top league goalscorer with 8 and top of assists with 10 (I think). So he did a good job last season. Highlights for me were the late goal against Barnsley, a superb free kick and the pass for Murphy to run away and score at Middlesbrough.

When I hear the likes of Smithies and Ward were on £30k and £20k pw each it is no wonder the club is haemorrhaging money!

In the current climate nobody would pay a fee and his wages for a 31 year old......except maybe a certain Mr Warnock?! And he could take Bamba with him too.
    This is up there with one of the stupidest football posts I've read on here for a while and I'm not 100% sure if you're being sarcastic because you contradict yourself quite a lot.

Turns it on for 15 mins? Most of our goals since Christmas have come through him, if we didn't have him we'd be lower mid table, nowhere near the playoffs. Also I seriously doubt that Smithies is on £30k and that Ward is on anywhere near £20k