+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Three Little Birds

Three Little Birds

I was just listening to a podcast on the way in to work and they were talking about why Ajax sing 3 little birds. They had the Cardiff stadium announcer (Ali at the time?) saying it was from a pre season friendly at NP, there was trouble outside and the Ajax fans were kept in and he played songs to drown out the noise of the fighting, one of which was that one and from then one Ajax adopted it.

Now I was at that friendly, it was half empty, pissing down and a terrible 0-0 draw. The Bob Bank seating area was officially closed but when it started shitting it the entire terrace climbed up there under cover. I have no memory of trouble outside and although I remember Ajax singing it after the game, in my mind it wasn't because it was on the tannoy, it felt like something they just did.

Anybody remember?

Re: Three Little Birds

It's seems right that a bob marley song is an anthem in amsterdam

It's seems right that a bob marley song is an anthem in amsterdam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

I remember seeing Jay Bothroyd in the stand and being gutted we were signing him. He may have proved me wrong on that front.

We must have stayed behind a bit as well then, I definitely remember watching them singing it, in my mind they sung it the whole game but I guess that's my memory playing tricks

I was at the game and decided to make a very quick getaway as soon as the final whistle went, due to the noxious atmosphere in the stadium. What I didn't know was that there would be riot police with dogs straining at the leash situated right by the exit gate. As soon as we went through the gate, the police were screaming at us to get out quickly, which we did. A most unpleasant experience ( and a crap game).

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Ha, I can't remember any of that chaos at all, apart from the surge up into the covered area. I just remember I'd convinced my mate from work to come with me and it was a terrible game and I felt guilty

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I wonder if whoever Dr Nick Rivera was still posts on here?

My recollection of both of our pre season friendlies with Dutch clubs at Ninian Park in the noughties was that they both brought quite a few fans with them, but if that is true about Ajax and Three Little Birds, then the whole thing passed me by completely.

By the way, who scored for City in those two friendlies?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I wonder if whoever Dr Nick Rivera was still posts on here?

My recollection of both of our pre season friendlies with Dutch clubs at Ninian Park in the noughties was that they both brought quite a few fans with them, but if that is true about Ajax and Three Little Birds, then the whole thing passed me by completely.

By the way, who scored for City in those two friendlies?
    Bob, the Ajax game finished 0-0 and Warren Feeney scored the only goal in a 1-0 win over Twenty Enschede.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Bob, the Ajax game finished 0-0 and Warren Feeney scored the only goal in a 1-0 win over Twenty Enschede.
    Yes, a real I saw Ronnie Moore score type moment for anyone who watched us in the seventies when Fenney scored that goal against Twente - I certainly never thought I'd see him score for us.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, a real I saw Ronnie Moore score type moment for anyone who watched us in the seventies when Fenney scored that goal against Twente - I certainly never thought I'd see him score for us.
    Talking of Ronnie Moore, I was looking for his scoring record season by season for Tranmere but could only find his overall total for them. Am I right in thinking he banged in over 30 goals for them the season before he joined us or is my memory playing tricks on me ? If he did that would account for the utter dismay of City supporters when we discovered he had an aversion to hitting a cow's arse with a banjo as soon as he donned the blue jersey.

I remember going to that game and watching the Ajax fans pogoing throught the game then running over and invading the bob bank which was empty

Watching the Ajax fans was far more ineresting than the game that's for sure, I can't remember them singing 3 Little Birds during the game and don't actually remember seeing any trouble outside after the game, but I know people were saying there had been a bit of trouble in the city centre at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Talking of Ronnie Moore, I was looking for his scoring record season by season for Tranmere but could only find his overall total for them. Am I right in thinking he banged in over 30 goals for them the season before he joined us or is my memory playing tricks on me ? If he did that would account for the utter dismay of City supporters when we discovered he had an aversion to hitting a cow's arse with a banjo as soon as he donned the blue jersey.
    Yes, I'm sure he scored thirty in a season for Tranmere, his goalscoring record for Rotherham was good as well.

Just looked him up and although his goals tailed off a bit towards the end of his career (he played centreback at times), his scoring record was never as poor as it was here;-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Moore

We should do this, afterall Bob sang at Ninian Park...

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    We should do this, afterall Bob sang at Ninian Park...
    We do do it! Not everybody likes the fact we do though