+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best footballer you have played with or against

Re: Best footballer you have played with or against

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Ray Wilkins story-When i was an apprentice it was my job to clean the away changing rooms. We played qpr in a pre season friendly at NP-Wilkins played. I would have to wait outside with my bin, mop and bucket, most teams would be showered, dressed and out in 45 minutes, some would open a few cans and take their time, QPR took the f ucking piss, i had to get back to llanedeyrn, that's a walk to central and then the 57 bus. I waited for over an hour then popped my head around the door asking them to hurry up, i was told to **** off by Andy Sinton (i'm sure it was him) so i told him to ****off back and had a row with him, telling him i had to get the bus home, i the end i just got on with it and mopped and swept around their feet. Ray Wilkins was chuckling and said to me ' I like your character son' He gave me £10 and said toget some chips on the way home Cheers Butch...
    Love this, and the jimmyscoular one - "we made two mistakes that game, the first was agreeing to play" it made me laugh out loud

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Your comment on Gareth Edwards reminded me that I played football with Gerald Davies, who was my form teacher in the late 60's. He also played rugby in a teachers v school rugby team match and it was a privilege to watch the man in action. Comical too because he run rings around the boys, who had a decent team at the time.

Cricket wise I played against Tony Cordle in the mid 70's. We both scored in the same match but my team lost 3-2. He was a decent centre forward.
    Gerald Davies is my favourite rugby player ever - couldn't find any videos of him on You Tube though - yet more proof of how old I'm getting!

Played in same school team as David Summerhayes, David Yorath and Richie Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Your comment on Gareth Edwards reminded me that I played football with Gerald Davies, who was my form teacher in the late 60's. He also played rugby in a teachers v school rugby team match and it was a privilege to watch the man in action. Comical too because he run rings around the boys, who had a decent team at the time.

Cricket wise I played against Tony Cordle in the mid 70's. We both scored in the same match but my team lost 3-2. He was a decent centre forward.
    Played against Tony Cordle around the same time - he was playing for Grange Quins if I recall. What I do remember is how quick and strong he was. I remember the game because we were outplayed 0-1 for 85 mins and then they made a couple of mistakes and I scored two sitters !

I've told the story on here before about my experience with Tony Cordle. I was in with an outside chance of getting the opportunity to spend the summer on the Lords groundstaff. The MCC had sent someone down to have a look at a couple of us in the indoor nets at the National Sports Centre. I was batting reasonably well, when they brought Tony Cordle into bowl at me. I was 15 and in awe of Cordle but was confident I could do ok. The first ball he bowled at me was wide outside off stump and I did him the courtesy of shouldering arms and not play at it. A split second later I was rolling around in agony on the floor clutching my bollocks and almost in tears. I'd never seen a cricket ball seam so much in my life. Needless to say I never got the Lords groundstaff contract!

While I've been fortunate to play cricket against quite a few test players and plenty of the county boys, my football list is much shorter. Five a side against Ian Benbow who I think scored the winner in the Welsh Cup Final for Hereford Utd is probably the lowest high spot I've attained!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    By all accounts a very nice man.
    I was coached by Stan Montgomery for a couple of years, what a bloke! Apparently, he was a really good cricketer. He used to warm up by doing bowling actions with his arms, it was very amusing. Was the soccer school you attended through Bristol Rovers? I know that Stan was heavily involved with them during the seventies and eighties, that's why they had a spate of young welsh talent at the club-Neil Slatter and a few others come to mind.