+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Amen Nick Cave

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Amen Nick Cave

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    The term "cancel culture" doesn't mean anything. It's a bullshit term invented by people who don't want to face public consequences or judgement for their actions, and in today's buzzword world it's effective tool to shut things down with. Same as when you shout "fake news" or "PC gone mad" it automatically puts the issue into a bracket regardless of the intricacies of the situation.

If you behave like a prick you should be called out for it, that's not "cancel culture", that's being held responsible for your actions and words and it's not new, it's something we learnt the first time we got a bollocking from our parents for pushing over a sibling or having a tantrum in a shop.

The problem is because of social media we live in a world of sides now, simple sides for complicated situations. Everybody's got teams when it comes to everything - team brexit, team labour, team mask, team PC, team anti-cancel culture. Where before people used to think a bit more and end up with a definite but flexible opinion, now we think less and own immovable ones because we're on our teams.

The internet is a wonderful thing in many ways but barring the obvious things like war and disease, social media is the worst thing to happen to humankind in my lifetime, and I say that as someone who uses it a lot.
    The terminology may be poor , never heard it before .

I think he has a point , I didn't feel he was trying to justify anything , he was asking a question.

Are we going too far with the desire to be seen as holier than holy.

Balance is a very very important word and we need to have balance when we are changing the world , even when its for the overall good of mankind. Without balance you will push the other side, as you describe, to rebellion , whether they are right or wrong .

"Everyone" has a side in social debate ? Dont think so , I have an opinion but its not usually strong enough for me to get a tattoo and push it down other peoples throats . Quite happy to debate and it can be fluid enough to acknowledge there are relevant points in a different of view .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    The terminology may be poor , never heard it before .

I think he has a point , I didn't feel he was trying to justify anything , he was asking a question.

Are we going too far with the desire to be seen as holier than holy.

Balance is a very very important word and we need to have balance when we are changing the world , even when its for the overall good of mankind. Without balance you will push the other side, as you describe, to rebellion , whether they are right or wrong .

"Everyone" has a side in social debate ? Dont think so , I have an opinion but its not usually strong enough for me to get a tattoo and push it down other peoples throats . Quite happy to debate and it can be fluid enough to acknowledge there are relevant points in a different of view .
    I meant "everyone" loosely, there's still plenty of people who will change their minds according to facts of course. The trouble is that nowadays you could believe the craziest most ridiculous thing and you'll find plenty of people to back you up.

The 5g causing Coronavirus thing is a great example, it's lunacy, madness, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever but you've got a ton of people who believe it and will absolutely never have their mind changed even though people are pointing out all the reasons why it makes no sense, because they've also got plenty of people telling them that they're correct.

The best example of the "teams" thing I'm talking about is when Donald Trump said that he could shoot someone in Times Square and his base wouldn't care. Truest thing he's ever said.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I meant "everyone" loosely, there's still plenty of people who will change their minds according to facts of course. The trouble is that nowadays you could believe the craziest most ridiculous thing and you'll find plenty of people to back you up.

The 5g causing Coronavirus thing is a great example, it's lunacy, madness, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever but you've got a ton of people who believe it and will absolutely never have their mind changed even though people are pointing out all the reasons why it makes no sense, because they've also got plenty of people telling them that they're correct.

The best example of the "teams" thing I'm talking about is when Donald Trump said that he could shoot someone in Times Square and his base wouldn't care. Truest thing he's ever said.
    My kids will come to me with information , I will ask where it came from if it sounds outlandish . I have said to them OK there is a lot of information on Facebook , there are also a lot of people dishing out misinformation . So , if you read something on face book , google it , check the source of your google information (could be the guy that spread it to Facebook wrote a blog or a piece to justify his drivel) digest it and believe it if you think its a fair piece.
    Simple ?

Its not that simple though , and I am going to agree with you about social media to a degree.

I voted to leave the EU . Its a decision I am fine with ...... or was, till I watched the film about the leave team in the vote .
    I was duped , I heard my own voice saying exactly what I was programmed to say... I dont consider myself particularly
    stupid, the politicians have raised the bar, everything could now be a smoking mirror for me .

The tide has swung away for Trump , his days are now numbered.