+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amen Nick Cave

Re: Amen Nick Cave

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    The term "cancel culture" doesn't mean anything. It's a bullshit term invented by people who don't want to face public consequences or judgement for their actions, and in today's buzzword world it's effective tool to shut things down with. Same as when you shout "fake news" or "PC gone mad" it automatically puts the issue into a bracket regardless of the intricacies of the situation.

If you behave like a prick you should be called out for it, that's not "cancel culture", that's being held responsible for your actions and words and it's not new, it's something we learnt the first time we got a bollocking from our parents for pushing over a sibling or having a tantrum in a shop.

The problem is because of social media we live in a world of sides now, simple sides for complicated situations. Everybody's got teams when it comes to everything - team brexit, team labour, team mask, team PC, team anti-cancel culture. Where before people used to think a bit more and end up with a definite but flexible opinion, now we think less and own immovable ones because we're on our teams.

The internet is a wonderful thing in many ways but barring the obvious things like war and disease, social media is the worst thing to happen to humankind in my lifetime, and I say that as someone who uses it a lot.
    I think the fact that people are so entrenched philosophically and politically is a huge shame.
    It certainly removes nuance and hampers discourse.

Ad Hominem attacks are constant and causes people to dig in deeper to their “binary” thinking.

As for cancel culture....it is very very real and very dangerous.
    Intersectionality is the tail wagging the societal dog at the moment and at some point the dog is going to snap and try to bite it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I think the fact that people are so entrenched philosophically and politically is a huge shame.
    It certainly removes nuance and hampers discourse.

Ad Hominem attacks are constant and causes people to dig in deeper to their “binary” thinking.

As for cancel culture....it is very very real and very dangerous.
    Intersectionality is the tail wagging the societal dog at the moment and at some point the dog is going to snap and try to bite it.
    Cancel culture is something libertarians have come up with to have a go at the liberals not just in America but all over the world because the people of liberal thought criticise those of the right .....and those on the right don't like it

People who use offensive terms and take part in discriminatory behaviour have been complaining of political correctness for years , they are on the back foot which is why the dog is snapping back as you say

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Giving up foreign travel ?
    When did you last go abroad Sludge ?

I have something a little less dramatic .

You get air miles which would allow a certain amount of travel .
    So , if you want to go to Spain that would be 2 years of air miles used .
    If you wanted to go to South Africa that would be 5 years of air miles .
    Businesses are learning of ways to do business without flying all over the world . No business flights unless approved as absolutely necessary.

That would cut the amount of planes down dramatically. And be the beginning of change.

Believe it or not I have very similar views to many of your points .
    Although I am a capitalist without capitalist views... .

We are being given a wake up call . Covid 19 is a chance for mankind to take stock .
    I fear that’s not going to happen .
    Give up , cut down etc

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Cancel culture is something libertarians have come up with to have a go at the liberals not just in America but all over the world because the people of liberal thought criticise those of the right .....and those on the right don't like it

People who use offensive terms and take part in discriminatory behaviour have been complaining of political correctness for years , they are on the back foot which is why the dog is snapping back as you say
    I think that you are missing the point.
    Look at Graham Linehan and JK Rowling for example.
    Both incredibly left wing but have been on the “wrong end” of the Trans debate.

Is it right to shut down people who disagree with you on the merits of Islam?

Is it fair for somebody to be doxed and lose their career because they have a different view on the Trans debate?

It’s all very puritanical.

This speech by Stephen Fry sums up the whole sorry situation to me.

https://youtu.be/_W_npyI7Xsw

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I missed the irony in this first time round.
    How do you see total equality being a possibility?

Would you be willing to give your home to the cause ,I assume it's extremely well presented ..
    What would you be willing to sacrifice for the cause ? For total equality .
    My house is a Dump, Jim, work going on in every corner I don't think that your argument sits up jim, with all respect. People talk about equality in puerile terms, you've done it by asking me what would i be willing to sacrifice? I'm just a working class bloke, why should i have to sacrifice anything, probably the same as you. By thinking in that way it sort of leans towards people like you and me being part of the problem, when we're not. We didn't create inequality, that was done many years by the political classes and the bosses in order to leach as much out of the workers and most vulnerable so that they can sustain their way of living, they need an underclass, they need desperate acts in order to survive, it bodes well for capitalism-People like you and i haven't done anything wrong, except maybe not to shout and protest a little louder.

Poverty is created Jim, not by you and me, but by those who have a vested interest in making money out of poverty.