+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No FA Cup replays next season

No FA Cup replays next season

Re: No FA Cup replays next season

Can't see them returning when things get back to "normal" either.

About time.

I’m not against it but even less money for smaller clubs now.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I’m not against it but even less money for smaller clubs now.
    That's the issue but I think it's the right decision.

Yeah think it's a good decision, the gate receipts probably aren't that high if you get a big club away as no more than a few thousand there anyway.

. Need to knock the ldv or whatever it is on the head as well, pointless.

What is the revenue of your average league one and 2 clubs now?

Should be no sharing of tv money for FA or League Cup games, 100% of it to go to the lower division club should they be drawn against a Premier League side, the Premier League clubs do ok for tv money as it is. I include the Championship as a lower division as well, going to be financially tough for everyone. I’d even go as far as a more than even slice of the gate money to the lower division club as well if crowds are ever allowed back.

I don't think you should be penalised for being more succesful.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Should be no sharing of tv money for FA or League Cup games, 100% of it to go to the lower division club should they be drawn against a Premier League side, the Premier League clubs do ok for tv money as it is. I include the Championship as a lower division as well, going to be financially tough for everyone. I’d even go as far as a more than even slice of the gate money to the lower division club as well if crowds are ever allowed back.
    thats not a bad call, though i wouldnt include championship teams in the lower category

L1 and L2 draw a EPL of championship team. 100% of the gate AND TV money goes to the lower league team

IF a EPL or championship team draw each other ( which they of course will in later rounds ), 50% of gate and TV goes into a pot which L1 and 2 and grassroot share out

Lets not forget grassroot stuff, they are going to find it tough aswell

I actually think there is more chance of an upset.

A big team scrapes an away draw then comfortably get through in the replay.

Not anymore!

about time think its improves the day out for fans

It's natural when you been watching the game for a long time to think any proposed change to long established norms in football is a bad thing and, speaking for myself, I often think back to memorable games under the system to be scrapped which would never have been played. However, although I've been watching City for almost fifty seven years, I cannot come up with a single FA Cup replay played involving City at Ninian Park or Cardiff City Stadium that qualifies as memorable - in fact, the replay which comes closest to meeting that criteria was the one I watched in the early eighties between the jacks and Palace when Ninian Park was a neutral venue.

I'm struggling to think of many great replay nights away from home as well - Middlesbrough to clinch the game with Man City in 1994 and Sunderland at neutral Maine Road to give us a home game with Leeds in 1972 are the best I can think of off the top of my head.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. I used to like it when there were 2nd or 3rd replays, replays of Finals or semis were also great. I can't remember 79-80, and in those days only the final was televised, but the semi between Arsenal and Liverpool took 4 games to resolve

Hillsborough, 2 at Villa Park, last game at Highfield Road.

Banned

It's natural when you been watching the game for a long time to think any proposed change to long established norms in football is a bad thing and, speaking for myself, I often think back to memorable games under the system to be scrapped which would never have been played. However, although I've been watching City for almost fifty seven years, I cannot come up with a single FA Cup replay played involving City at Ninian Park or Cardiff City Stadium that qualifies as memorable - in fact, the replay which comes closest to meeting that criteria was the one I watched in the early eighties between the jacks and Palace when Ninian Park was a neutral venue.

I'm struggling to think of many great replay nights away from home as well - Middlesbrough to clinch the game with Man City in 1994 and Sunderland at neutral Maine Road to give us a home game with Leeds in 1972 are the best I can think of off the top of my head.
    I remember beating Warnock's Bury in a replay. He said "the future of Bury depends on us winning". Think he was sacked after that defeat.

We beat Orient in a replay the same season..

Winning at Yeovil

Winning at Middlesbrough.

Not sure we ever got a second replay, though it probably did happen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Porth Pouncer View Post
    I actually think there is more chance of an upset.

A big team scrapes an away draw then comfortably get through in the replay.

Not anymore!
    I doubt it.

Take us against Mansfield a couple of seasons ago. We were truly awful in the first game, drew 0-0. The draw was made and we had drawn Man City. We sent out a strong side in the replay, played with some hunger and comfortably.

Indeed
    I would also scrap extra time.

I think as far as the majority of supporters nowadays are concerned the FA cup is an anachronism. The Premier League has put paid to it. I'm very unhappy that's the case but over the years it's become pretty well inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Indeed
    I would also scrap extra time.
    Yeh , straight to pen's .

No. This has been coming for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    I remember beating Warnock's Bury in a replay. He said "the future of Bury depends on us winning". Think he was sacked after that defeat.

We beat Orient in a replay the same season..

Winning at Yeovil

Winning at Middlesbrough.

Not sure we ever got a second replay, though it probably did happen.
    I'm old enough to remember us playing second replays twice in three seasons. In 69/70, we were top of what is now the Championship when a York side from League Two in today's money beat us 3-1 at St. Andrews after a couple of 1-1 draws and then in 71/72 we beat Sunderland 3-1 at Maine Road in a midweek afternoon match after 1-1 draws at Ninian Park and Roker Park.

I’m amazed that under the current circumstances the football authorities are still planning to go ahead with the League Cup, the Football League Trophy and international friendlies. All crazy in my opinion.

If ever there was a time when the number of games should become as limited as possible, it’s now. The authorities have done a great job in getting the sport back up and running in this country, but it seems the realities of the situation are going out of the window while the plans for the 20/21 campaign are being drawn up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I’m amazed that under the current circumstances the football authorities are still planning to go ahead with the League Cup, the Football League Trophy and international friendlies. All crazy in my opinion.

If ever there was a time when the number of games should become as limited as possible, it’s now. The authorities have done a great job in getting the sport back up and running in this country, but it seems the realities of the situation are going out of the window while the plans for the 20/21 campaign are being drawn up.
    I agree as far as the League Cup and Football League Trophy are concerned, but, if , and it's a very big if, we get to March and the season looks like it's going to be completed, I'd look to play some international friendlies then as a preparation for the Euros.

The league cup has become a farce in the past ten years so now is the perfect time to wind it up.

Banned

I agree as far as the League Cup and Football League Trophy are concerned, but, if , and it's a very big if, we get to March and the season looks like it's going to be completed, I'd look to play some international friendlies then as a preparation for the Euros.
    I guess the League Cup holds a European place, but it does seem to be a bit silly to have that competition running. The League Trophy was always, as far as I was concerned, a chance to give lower league clubs and their fans a day out at Wembley, so that seems a bit unnecessary too.

As for the Euros, the European wide tournament was a daft idea to begin with, but it is looking unworkable at the moment.