+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: France Quarantine

France Quarantine

Bloody ridiculous...they just need to drive a bit further to the Hook of Holland and no problem....

Re: France Quarantine

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Bloody ridiculous...they just need to drive a bit further to the Hook of Holland and no problem....
    You will have to talk us through this. The Netherlands is on the list of countries where people arriving in the UK need to self-isolate. I understand that the Dutch have not reciprocated but if you drive to the Hook of Holland from x how does that get around it.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    You will have to talk us through this. The Netherlands is on the list of countries where people arriving in the UK need to self-isolate. I understand that the Dutch have not reciprocated but if you drive to the Hook of Holland from x how does that get around it.
    They should have just said it’s being implemented straight away. Instead, 1000’s of people are now scrambling their way home probably picking up Covid along the way, if it is that bad in France, Who knows for sure? Fools going abroad anyway. Greece will be next no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They should have just said it’s being implemented straight away. Instead, 1000’s of people are now scrambling their way home probably picking up Covid along the way, if it is that bad in France, Who knows for sure? Fools going abroad anyway. Greece will be next no doubt
    Isn't that like saying Wales should introduce quarantine restrictions for people going to or returning from English hotspots or have I missed the point?

Many of you may know that the word 'Quarantine' relates to the fact that ships suspected of carrying a plague had to wait offshore for 40 days before coming into port but it superseded 'Trentine' whereby the time limit was 30 days.

Wonder how many people will actually quarantine when they get home anyway. Not as if it's feasible for it to be enforced unless someone is reported or something.

I agree with goats, should just be from the announcement, instead some are scrambling to get home, airlines are charging a premium, bit of a mess really.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yep I agree , around your fool comment , for weeks now we have been on notice for some time now about it returning in Europe , because of the bigger transmission spreads risks through their many borders .

As a family we decided to cancel our family holiday a good few weeks warching these trends building.

I'm guessing those in France have probably driven there in the last few weeks knowing these facts , but decided to run the risk anyway.

I think goverment has done the right thing .

So it is.....ok maybe into Belgium...or Germany...

why are you bothered or even worried about your holiday.Just for one year stay the feck at home.
    We did it year after year in the 70's. Spain was exotic back then.

International

If you only cross Holland to get to your ferry/destination elsewhere and you do not stop for lunch coffee etc then it is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    If you only cross Holland to get to your ferry/destination elsewhere and you do not stop for lunch coffee etc then it is OK.
    The original suggestion was that all you needed to do to get around the restrictions was to drive to the Hook of Holland. As Maurice accepted that is not possible with UK restricting entry into the UK from Holland without isolation. The same rules apply to Belgium, France and Spain so unless you intend to drive to Germany and catch a ferry back from Hamburg then whether you stop or not in any of those countries has no bearing on what you have to do when you drive to return to the UK from Spain, France, Belgium or Holland.

International

Look at it the other way. If you are holidaying in Germany or Switzerland or where ever that is not on the list, then you can drive through Holland to get to a ferry to go and to come home so long as you do not stop for any length of time in Holland. (I assume the same applies to a ferry from/to Belgium)
    Again it is based on trust, I suppose you will have to make a declaration to that effect or something.

I think the 30 hour deadline added by the UK Gov was appalling.

I think as adults we should be allowed to make a reasoned choice as to what risks we take and we should have been given at least a 72 hour window to get home if we were in a country to be quarantined. Not a fraction over a day. That would have allowed a reasoned choice and a reasonable opportunity to get back.

It's penalising the public again. And ****ing up the travel industry.

The range of contradictory information peddled by the authorities and the press is wrecking the confidence of the public.

How any of these government ministers can sleep at night is beyond me. Education, Transport, the PPE corruption and the buffoon at the top who is hoping all this just goes away are contributing to dismantling of confidence of a nation.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ne-by-24-hours

Boris & Co getting pushed about by the Taffs, Jocks and Oirish.

Lovely jubbly.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I think the 30 hour deadline added by the UK Gov was appalling.

I think as adults we should be allowed to make a reasoned choice as to what risks we take and we should have been given at least a 72 hour window to get home if we were in a country to be quarantined. Not a fraction over a day. That would have allowed a reasoned choice and a reasonable opportunity to get back.

It's penalising the public again. And ****ing up the travel industry.

The range of contradictory information peddled by the authorities and the press is wrecking the confidence of the public.

How any of these government ministers can sleep at night is beyond me. Education, Transport, the PPE corruption and the buffoon at the top who is hoping all this just goes away are contributing to dismantling of confidence of a nation.
    Why is it appalling? The Government's job is to protect its citizens, most of which have cancelled/postponed or not had any trips abroad during this pandemic. Why should we be penalised by a higher risk of infections in the UK by giving people an extra 42 hours to catch the virus?

Someone I know who had moved to Spain returned home 2 weeks ago, and was visiting all her friends in their houses, elderly parents and aunts, before driving back to Spain. I saw photos of her in about 6/7 houses meeting anywhere close to 30 people. Had she been infected, there would have been a significant spike in our area leading to, most likely, restrictions for the rest.

The Government have done the right thing here, although it appears that is thanks to the Welsh and Scottish Governments.

The travel industry is taking a hit, and that is a shame, although I notice they resorted to type and put up the prices on Eurotunnel to cash in, just as they cash in during school holidays resulting in some parents taking kids out of school in term time.

Go abroad, and have a risk of having to quarantine. Go to Blackpool and have the risk of a local lockdown meaning you can't even do anything. Buy a season ticket to a football club and have the risk of seeing no games. That's how it is at the moment, and with 1,440 cases announced yesterday the UK, itself, is getting close to the 20 cases per million threshold that France broke leading to the measures taken.

Johnson is a buffoon, and if he had his way people could have stayed an extra day or two in France.

Croatia still ok yet their numbers are worse than both Holland & France, quarantine coming, otherwise the system is inconsistent.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Croatia still ok yet their numbers are worse than both Holland & France, quarantine coming, otherwise the system is inconsistent.
    50 cases per million so you would expect so. I wonder how much of this is down to numbers of people from the UK travelling to affected countries as well?

A few months ago the media were complaining that the government was not quarantining people arriving on these shores from mainland Europe. Now it is happening various people are saying that the arrangements are unnecessary and that more notice should have been given. The people who travelled to France and the Netherlands in the last couple of weeks, when it was evident quarantining would be imposed, shouldn't have travelled in the first place. The government advice on websites is that people should not travel internationally except for emergencies so those moaning on various radio talk shows only have themselves to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    A few months ago the media were complaining that the government was not quarantining people arriving on these shores from mainland Europe. Now it is happening various people are saying that the arrangements are unnecessary and that more notice should have been given. The people who travelled to France and the Netherlands in the last couple of weeks, when it was evident quarantining would be imposed, shouldn't have travelled in the first place. The government advice on websites is that people should not travel internationally except for emergencies so those moaning on various radio talk shows only have themselves to blame.
    Agreed.

Some people travel for all sorts of reasons but whatever the reason, especially following the Spanish quarantine you would know this is a very real possibility.

Personally I don't get the need to travel abroad for a holiday at the moment, I couldn't think of much worse and it seems thousands have also panicked and left their holiday early. Just leave it for now and celebrate and fully enjoy your holiday when this has passed because it will eventually.

Feel for those working in the travel industry the most.

Which websites are those?

I am totally confused by the messages coming out of government - with different ministers contradicting each other several times a day and the 'official' advice on gov.uk often different from the line promoted by Johnson, other ministers or the scientific human shields. There is a fog of contradictory and constantly changing communication - but I haven't picked up any clear message that 'people shouldn't travel internationally except for emergencies'.

We are supposed to be going to southern Italy in a month - a 60th birthday holiday for my other half planned a year ago. We finally committed to it a few weeks back (previously only paid for the flights between Manchester and Naples). At the moment Italy appears to be one of the lowest infected countries in Europe (from the worst in March), and certainly safer than the UK. I accept that could all change over the next 4 weeks and/or we could end up with a 2 week quarantine when we get back (not such a hardship as we are both retired). But every time I have looked at government websites or spoken to the travel company I have been reassured that this is not a reckless decision or one defying government advice.

Seriously though, how many of these people are actually going to stick to the fourteen day quarantine? And who's going to check that they do? That's right - nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Which websites are those?

I am totally confused by the messages coming out of government - with different ministers contradicting each other several times a day and the 'official' advice on gov.uk often different from the line promoted by Johnson, other ministers or the scientific human shields. There is a fog of contradictory and constantly changing communication - but I haven't picked up any clear message that 'people shouldn't travel internationally except for emergencies'.

We are supposed to be going to southern Italy in a month - a 60th birthday holiday for my other half planned a year ago. We finally committed to it a few weeks back (previously only paid for the flights between Manchester and Naples). At the moment Italy appears to be one of the lowest infected countries in Europe (from the worst in March), and certainly safer than the UK. I accept that could all change over the next 4 weeks and/or we could end up with a 2 week quarantine when we get back (not such a hardship as we are both retired). But every time I have looked at government websites or spoken to the travel company I have been reassured that this is not a reckless decision or one defying government advice.
    I'm surprised to suggest you consult Google but here is one relating to Italy:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...20for%20checks.

I'm surprised to suggest you consult Google but here is one relating to Italy:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...20for%20checks.
    Thanks for that. The wording has changed a little since I last checked it - but the message is that there is a very long list of countries exempt from the ‘all but essential’ international travel headline - including 25 countries in Europe (Italy amongst them), Canada and most of the Carribean and the majority of the Asia-Pacific region. Antarctica is also OK. I am reassured.

International

I think France should be permanently quarantined anyway, just for being French!!

Not that I'm in any way biased!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Seriously though, how many of these people are actually going to stick to the fourteen day quarantine? And who's going to check that they do? That's right - nobody.
    The vast majority will comply.