+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Churchill

Re: Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    20 million Russians wasn’t it? Basically doing anything to stop the German wave from taking the city
    They were and clearly still are , very tough people

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Absolutely. However Hitler only ever wanted to expand eastward -he had a pathological hatred for the Eastern European States and Russia. It was when France, then the UK declared war on Germany that the war moved westward..
    he drummed it into the german public that the Russian people were dirty pigs

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    he drummed it into the german public that the Russian people were dirty pigs
    20 million chinese died as a consequence of the World War 2 as well. The russians were in no position not to survive, if they didn't fight then Stalin would take care of business.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Ironically they were saying the same thing about Hitler's economic miracle in the 1930's
    that made me chuckle , Chinese soldier's are also crap at tank driving ,they keep moving folk down particularly students

https://www.gazetadopovo.com.br/wiseup-news/is-china-nice-five-atrocities-committed-by-the-communist-country/

is that the Antony beaver book ?

Read that alongside enemy at the gates and have some sleeping pills ready , its very graphic
    Yeah....I bought it about 2 years ago now got to start it soon

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Snaggs......

Brilliant!

I wish he could post in this thread and set a few facts straight.

Yeah....I bought it about 2 years ago now got to start it soon
    Great book , heavy read

Enemy At The Gates is very dark and graphic

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    20 million chinese died as a consequence of the World War 2 as well. The russians were in no position not to survive, if they didn't fight then Stalin would take care of business.
    Who were the Chinese fighting? The Japs was it? I find WW2 stories interesting, I guess we always get to hear about the bigger events like pearl harbour and Dunkirk, Midway, Stalingrad etc...So many battles went on we dont get to hear so much of.

International

To know what the Royal Navy did you should read "Engage the Enemy more closely"
    It tells the tale of every RN ship from Destroyer upwards that was involved in anything. And all the feck-ups by the Admiralty, Churchill and the Admirals. True good read if you are interested in that period.
    Apparently "Engage the enemy more closely" was the last signal ordered by Nelson at Trafalgar before he died. And it was the first one sent by Churchill at the beginning of WW2 when he was 1st Sea Lord. Dunno the proof of that but I read it somewhere that sounded plausible, and apparently that is why the book is so named.

A good read. (And it covers the sinking of the french fleet at Oran!)

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    What coul he have done?????
    No answer came the stern reply!

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Who were the Chinese fighting? The Japs was it? I find WW2 stories interesting, I guess we always get to hear about the bigger events like pearl harbour and Dunkirk, Midway, Stalingrad etc...So many battles went on we dont get to hear so much of.
    Japan invaded China via Manchuria in 1931 chasing raw materials for its growing industries. By 1937 Japan controlled large sections of China, and accusations of war crimes against the Chinese became commonplace.
    After Germany surrendered in 1945 Stalin invaded Manchuria and sent the Japanese packing.

Little is known about the tens of thousands of Japanese soldiers taken prisoner by the Russians because nothing was ever heard about them afterwards except for unproven rumours about them being used as forced labour rebuilding areas destroyed n the war. None of them were ever returned to Japan. I head about this when I was working in Kazakhstan.

No answer came the stern reply!
    The same as Churchills response nothing

Worth a read it offers a balance , to a complex clever man :

https://winstonchurchill.hillsdale.edu/churchill-101/

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

didn't seem very balanced to me

So Churchill was a living saint and even more of a hero than Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan?

Thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    The same as Churchills response nothing

So you have no idea what he could have about extermination camps deep in enemy territory during a war but still blame him for not doing anything

In a board that often has bloody stupid comments that ranks with the best of 'em

So you have no idea what he could have about extermination camps deep in enemy territory during a war but still blame him for not doing anything

In a board that often has bloody stupid comments that ranks with the best of 'em
    This is from memory now, but in addition I think the information came via enigma intercepts so they couldn't afford to act on these for fear of letting the Germans known it had been cracked.

The prevalence of free market economics ?

The author says that's a good thing

So he's clearly a right wing libertarian

So its a not a very balanced view at all

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    This is from memory now, but in addition I think the information came via enigma intercepts so they couldn't afford to act on these for fear of letting the Germans known it had been cracked.
    That rings a bell now. I'm sure I have seen that before.

I think he's a very nice little dog, I had no idea about all this other stuff

I have no idea what he could have done,but being as you think he was some kind of superhero ithought he would thought of a plan.

The prevalence of free market economics ?

The author says that's a good thing

So he's clearly a right wing libertarian

So its a not a very balanced view at all
    Yes its a right winger ,however it does offer another view other than the attacks that are levied from the left .

I don't agree with all its content , but it does try and explains what happens , when and why ,we may not agree , however it is good to view other comment.

Yes its a right winger ,however it does offer another view other than the attacks that are levied from the left .

I don't agree with all its content , but it does try and explains what happens , when and why ,we may not agree , however it is good to view other comment.
    but its the view of a libertarian right winger who sucks up to the likes of thatcher and Reagan

Its like me writing an essay on Dennis skinner

but its the view of a libertarian right winger who sucks up to the likes of thatcher and Reagan

Its like me writing an essay on Dennis skinner
    Would you skip the part about him being a fervent Brixiteer?

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Would you skip the part about him being a fervent Brixiteer?
    Good old Dennis ,gave it out .

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a7942231.html