+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Statue For David Silva, And Whitts Please

Re: Statue For David Silva, And Whitts Please

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    I think a statue for Whitts would be fitting.

You would have fans for the 50-60 years going who had seen him.

50 years since joining we had only finished higher than his lowest placed finish 5 or 6 times.

Part of 2 cup final teams and a promotion team

Top 5 for league appearances and league goals.

His death is a tragedy it's not like he was a man in his 70s. I know that shouldn't really count but in some way it must.
    Well put

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Not sure whether any of the following would back up your argument.

Attachment 4011

Attachment 4012

I would be supportive of some form of commemoration of Peter Whittingham's contribution to the club but I think that the claim that there are "far more" deserving players is an exaggeration. However a case can be made for for some with at least an equal claim if not more can be made. One example and top of the list of appearances is Billy Hardy whose quoted appearances above is 590 but his wartime appearances take him over 600. He played in 2 Cup Finals, played 39 times out of 42 in the 23/24 season when we finished as runners up on goal average in the top flight and, as legend would have it, would have played for England had he not been playing for an "unfashionable" club. He was a City player for 20 years. How many players have approached that level of commitment and loyalty ?

More than honourable mentions should also go to Tom Farquharson and Len Davies our top scorer ( who also died young).

There are also 3 players still living who exceed Whitts in number of appearances and length of service.

"The Jay Emmanuel Thomas Stand"

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Get real....there are FAR more city players from the past that would warrant a statue.....good though Whittingham was.....he is not one of them.
    Whittingham was a rarity in this day and age in football in general and in any day and age for The City, to dismiss him as you have is unforgivable.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I would be supportive of some form of commemoration of Peter Whittingham's contribution to the club but I think that the claim that there are "far more" deserving players is an exaggeration. However a case can be made for for some with at least an equal claim if not more can be made. One example and top of the list of appearances is Billy Hardy whose quoted appearances above is 590 but his wartime appearances take him over 600. He played in 2 Cup Finals, played 39 times out of 42 in the 23/24 season when we finished as runners up on goal average in the top flight and, as legend would have it, would have played for England had he not been playing for an "unfashionable" club. He was a City player for 20 years. How many players have approached that level of commitment and loyalty ?

More than honourable mentions should also go to Tom Farquharson and Len Davies our top scorer ( who also died young).

There are also 3 players still living who exceed Whitts in number of appearances and length of service.
    Hard to compare ‘loyalty’ in different eras, the days of the maximum wage meant moving club regularly was hardly worth it. Whitt’s longevity with us in modern times is pretty unique. OK you’ve had recent Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea players racking up the appearances but they were at the top of the tree with no incentive to move. You do get run of the mill, stalwart defenders as part of the furniture on times but a goalscoring, skilful midfielder staying content at a club of our level is a rarity in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    "The Jay Emmanuel Thomas Stand"

That piddly River Ely runs close to the ground, it could be renamed The J.E.T. Stream.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Hard to compare ‘loyalty’ in different eras, the days of the maximum wage meant moving club regularly was hardly worth it. Whitt’s longevity with us in modern times is pretty unique. OK you’ve had recent Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea players racking up the appearances but they were at the top of the tree with no incentive to move. You do get run of the mill, stalwart defenders as part of the furniture on times but a goalscoring, skilful midfielder staying content at a club of our level is a rarity in my opinion.
    I take your point although I am not talking down the Whitts case but talking up someone else’s. It is arguable that Billy Hardy was a better player than Fred Keenor and he played more games and for longer but Fred has got a statue. However. Fred was the local boy, captain and symbol of that successful period so it is understandable

We have a Fred Keenor statue, and as far as I'm concerned, the 'next in line', when it comes to qualifying, has to be Phil Dwyer. An absolute club legend.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    We have a Fred Keenor statue, and as far as I'm concerned, the 'next in line', when it comes to qualifying, has to be Phil Dwyer. An absolute club legend.
    I think we all lean towards a local born player when it comes to things like this, but, although not local born, Whitt’s did go down the ‘not local born’ path pioneered by Don Murray, Bobby Woodruff, Gary Bell, Ronnie Bird etc by making his home in the are. Which Phil Dwyer would you choose for the statue though, the svelte Jailhouse Rock version or the white jump suited rather large Vegas one ?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    If you remember of the outpouring of grief that Sala had because of the circumstances, Whits had no where near the send off he deserves due to covid considering him being one of the best and most humble players that have played for us in the last 50 years.

Even if you don’t think he’s one of the best that have played for us, his achievements and loyalty have eclipsed most other stars from yesteryear.

I don’t think a bust of Whitts is OTT at all.
    Agreed, I really do hope that the club do something more to commemorate Whitts than we've seen up until now. If you're a long term fan, it's easy to get all "rose tinted spectacles" about players from your youth who were great servants and great players for Cardiff City, but I honestly cannot think of another player we've had with Whitts' longevity, ability and loyalty. I'm not just talking about City players I've seen there either, I mean going right back to when we first became a league club, name another player at Cardiff City who provided the class, flair, creativity and superb technique over a ten year period that Whitts did?

Name the end of the ground where he scored most goals after him, put a bust of him in the reception area of the stadium or erect a statue to him, it doesn't really bother me which one of these the club decides on, but they really should be doing one of these things (or something else suitably qualified to be a lasting memory to Whitts) as a tribute to one of Cardiff City's true greats.

I think renaming the end of the ground where he scored most goals the 'Whits' End' would be a good idea. Certainly, it would be nice if there was some sort of memorial although the wishes and approval of his family would have to be paramount.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    I think renaming the end of the ground where he scored most goals the 'Whits' End' would be a good idea. Certainly, it would be nice if there was some sort of memorial although the wishes and approval of his family would have to be paramount.
    Lots of people will be at their wits' end sitting there

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Statues please for Billy Hardy, Tom Farquharson, Len Davies, Ron Stitfall and Jack Evans and if we are including the living, Phil Dwyer, Don Murray and Peter King.
    So you think that Dwyer, Murray and King were all better and more deserving players than Whittingham ? They were all ‘fans favourites’ and good servants to the club but better players - never.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    So you think that Dwyer, Murray and King were all better and more deserving players than Whittingham ? They were all ‘fans favourites’ and good servants to the club but better players - never.
    No, take the trouble to read my other posts in this thread.

I think it would be a really nice touch if the club could do something to commemorate Whit's and everything he did for us.
    I'm not sure a statue is it though.
    not that I knew him personally, but the unassuming, modest, non goal celebrating person that he came across as wouldn't seem to be the type of person who would want a statue of themselves.

I remember how hard it was to raise the money for the Keenor statue and it’s thanks to the efforts of a few, TLG and others, that the final figure was achieved. However, given the same circumstances, I think a Peter Whittington statue would raise the money a lot quicker due to loss felt by many. I also think quite a few modern day pros would contribute too. No doubt we can all name someone who deserves a statue but that’s like saying all players matter. Younger fans have only heard of some our great past players but almost all have seen Whitts play and can replay games/goals on social media ... in colour. Age and era shouldn’t come into it. Some clubs have several statues of past players and Fulham had a Michael Jackson statue for years.

Dave Jones statue, anyone?

FFs haven't we learnt our lesson with statues.Enough is enough

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Maeterlinck View Post
    I remember how hard it was to raise the money for the Keenor statue and it’s thanks to the efforts of a few, TLG and others, that the final figure was achieved. However, given the same circumstances, I think a Peter Whittington statue would raise the money a lot quicker due to loss felt by many. I also think quite a few modern day pros would contribute too. No doubt we can all name someone who deserves a statue but that’s like saying all players matter. Younger fans have only heard of some our great past players but almost all have seen Whitts play and can replay games/goals on social media ... in colour. Age and era shouldn’t come into it. Some clubs have several statues of past players and Fulham had a Michael Jackson statue for years.

Dave Jones statue, anyone?
    Please, please, please don’t put your name forward to do the name plate if Whitt’s does have a statue.