+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Statue For David Silva, And Whitts Please

Statue For David Silva, And Whitts Please

I think many have commented about the last 10 or so years being one of our best era's , Whitts was involved in so much of that success , why not have some form of permanent memorial to our great man

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53806514

Manchester City have announced plans for a statue of Spanish playmaker David Silva at Etihad Stadium.

Silva's successful 10-year spell at City came to an end after*Saturday's Champions League defeat by Lyon.

Re: Statue For David Silva, And Whitts Please

I'd be all for a statue, but being that we've got one of Fred Keenor already I think they should rename a stand after him.

A statue for David Silva seems a bit OTT but what do I know

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I'd be all for a statue, but being that we've got one of Fred Keenor already I think they should rename a stand after him.

A statue for David Silva seems a bit OTT but what do I know
    I agree.

That would seem much more appropriate.

Get real....there are FAR more city players from the past that would warrant a statue.....good though Whittingham was.....he is not one of them.

Been said before but it’s due another airing....The Whitt’s End

The statue of Silva will probably end up like Whiitts anyway, if recent statues are anything to go by.

Eg Ronaldo and Nial Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Lol!

Like the proposed stand at The Etihad, the Colin Bell......I’ll get my coat.

Statues for living people seem wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Gets my vote

Witts yes , a fantastic servant to the club , loved the area , loved by the fans , loved the fans , died too young

Silva , fantastic player but handsomely paid ......its a no from me

Statues please for Billy Hardy, Tom Farquharson, Len Davies, Ron Stitfall and Jack Evans and if we are including the living, Phil Dwyer, Don Murray and Peter King.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Get real....there are FAR more city players from the past that would warrant a statue.....good though Whittingham was.....he is not one of them.
    Like who?

I think a mounted bust, in front of the main entrance would be more appropriate, that way you can add additional servants to the club without statues everywhere

Name one. Jerk

I think a statue for Whitts would be fitting.

You would have fans for the 50-60 years going who had seen him.

50 years since joining we had only finished higher than his lowest placed finish 5 or 6 times.

Part of 2 cup final teams and a promotion team

Top 5 for league appearances and league goals.

His death is a tragedy it's not like he was a man in his 70s. I know that shouldn't really count but in some way it must.

Think everyone agrees that Whitts does deserve recognition for his loyalty & service to the club. A gifted player who should have played more at the top level. We did well to have him for so long. I’m sure that the club have their own ideas already and whatever it is it will be richly deserved. Sadly missed.

A nice big mosaic mural on the outside wall back of the canton.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    I think a statue for Whitts would be fitting.

You would have fans for the 50-60 years going who had seen him.

50 years since joining we had only finished higher than his lowest placed finish 5 or 6 times.

Part of 2 cup final teams and a promotion team

Top 5 for league appearances and league goals.

His death is a tragedy it's not like he was a man in his 70s. I know that shouldn't really count but in some way it must.
    Spot on

467 appearances, 96 goals, 2 cup finals, key in our return to the top flight after more than 50 years, a decade of loyal service, Football League Team of the Decade

Far more players? **** off

He was the best long-term City player in the last 50 years. Who should get a statue ahead of him?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    467 appearances, 96 goals, 2 cup finals, key in our return to the top flight after more than 50 years, a decade of loyal service, Football League Team of the Decade

Far more players? **** off
    THIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    I think a mounted bust, in front of the main entrance would be more appropriate, that way you can add additional servants to the club without statues everywhere
    I think a bust inside the main reception area would be fitting. It would allow for others to be placed alongside. When Joe Dwyer shuffles off this mortal coil there'll be calls for one for him too (rightly so!).

If you remember of the outpouring of grief that Sala had because of the circumstances, Whits had no where near the send off he deserves due to covid considering him being one of the best and most humble players that have played for us in the last 50 years.

Even if you don’t think he’s one of the best that have played for us, his achievements and loyalty have eclipsed most other stars from yesteryear.

I don’t think a bust of Whitts is OTT at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    THIS.
    Agreed, I'd love to see a list of the "far more" players who are more deserving and why

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Not sure whether any of the following would back up your argument.

ccfc apps 2.JPG

ccfc apps 1.JPG