+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ex-Pats - Whats life really like for locals

Ex-Pats - Whats life really like for locals

I’m currently in Greece on holiday. Kos. Lovely 32c. My hotel is looking onto a tiny island called Nisyros (no airport so assuming minimal tourism).

I’ve had a look at pictures, seems like there’s bugger all to go except chill, eat and enjoy the sun. To me, idyllic. But wonder how some of these people survive financially?

For you expats who’ve chased the dream, whats life really like as when I’ve been to Spain, Portugal etc life isn’t exactly brilliant. Long hours and poor pay can’t surely be what I’m imagining for this tiny Greek island that I’m assuming a life of beer And local wine, parlour games or cards all day, no bills, and no work.

Re: Ex-Pats - Whats life really like for locals

One of my favourite meals ever was a mousaka and Greek salad on Nisyros - just perfect. If you can get a boat trip over there to see the volcano, it's well worth a day out.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Not really sure about what you want to hear about but it started me thinking so thought I’d share

Sun comes up around 05:15. It’s bright so no chance of staying in bed. Locals are already up and at work in the local markets. Kids go to school at 06:30.
    I ride a motorcycle to the office to arrive at 07:00, takes about 25 minutes. The temperature is already in the high 20s. If it’s the rainy season I might take a taxi or if I’m feeling lucky go on the bike. I don’t wear shoes on the bike just sandals so if it does piss down my shoes and socks don’t get wet.
    Fresh brewed coffee and fresh fruit for breakfast. My team drift in around 07:15 until 07:45 and we review upcoming events.
    Most days we start by looking at finances. Then follows planning and review meetings with various department heads.
    Lunch is usually around 11:30

If we are both on the premises I’ll meet with the Pro Vice Chancellor at 12:30 to brief her on current issues and raise items for her to take to her weekly Skype meeting with the Vice Chancellor.

I visit Hanoi and Da Nang every couple of weeks. Singapore and Melbourne every couple of months depending on the virus situation.

I leave the office around 6-6.30 and have a couple of beers on the way home. My wife often meets us at a local bar.

We regularly visit family on the coast (Long Hai) at the weekend.

And so it goes.
    You change your rhythm and lifestyle pattern to fit in with local culture.

I’ve said on here previously that although we have a good life I keep planning to come back to the U.K. but the more I read about brexit, Boris etc the less inclined I am.

Ideally I’d like a couple of seasons watching the City live and visiting old haunts before I depart this mortal coil so we will come back at some point.

But in my opinion everyone/anyone who has a hankering to go and work abroad should go. If you don’t like it you can always go home.

You’d be surprised at the numbers of people from different countries you meet and they all have dreams and aspirations that they are chasing...some of them even find it.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Not really sure about what you want to hear about but it started me thinking so thought I’d share

Sun comes up around 05:15. It’s bright so no chance of staying in bed. Locals are already up and at work in the local markets. Kids go to school at 06:30.
    I ride a motorcycle to the office to arrive at 07:00, takes about 25 minutes. The temperature is already in the high 20s. If it’s the rainy season I might take a taxi or if I’m feeling lucky go on the bike. I don’t wear shoes on the bike just sandals so if it does piss down my shoes and socks don’t get wet.
    Fresh brewed coffee and fresh fruit for breakfast. My team drift in around 07:15 until 07:45 and we review upcoming events.
    Most days we start by looking at finances. Then follows planning and review meetings with various department heads.
    Lunch is usually around 11:30

If we are both on the premises I’ll meet with the Pro Vice Chancellor at 12:30 to brief her on current issues and raise items for her to take to her weekly Skype meeting with the Vice Chancellor.

I visit Hanoi and Da Nang every couple of weeks. Singapore and Melbourne every couple of months depending on the virus situation.

I leave the office around 6-6.30 and have a couple of beers on the way home. My wife often meets us at a local bar.

We regularly visit family on the coast (Long Hai) at the weekend.

And so it goes.
    You change your rhythm and lifestyle pattern to fit in with local culture.

I’ve said on here previously that although we have a good life I keep planning to come back to the U.K. but the more I read about brexit, Boris etc the less inclined I am.

Ideally I’d like a couple of seasons watching the City live and visiting old haunts before I depart this mortal coil so we will come back at some point.

But in my opinion everyone/anyone who has a hankering to go and work abroad should go. If you don’t like it you can always go home.

You’d be surprised at the numbers of people from different countries you meet and they all have dreams and aspirations that they are chasing...some of them even find it.
    What pastimes do you have by way of live sport there?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    What pastimes do you have by way of live sport there?
    Fk all. The football is dreadful Parks standard mostly.
    The locals love a cock fight or dog racing
    Live sports on in the sports bars and they’ll stream anything you want to watch unless there’s a load of Aussies in there wanting ‘Footy‘ or rugby League.
    The local People’s Committee put up big screens and live stream big football matches wChed by thousands sometimes. More like a social event

Curiously I was told that rugby union is being increasingly played in schools but non contact

It’s a desert

Bars and restaurants are open for outside service only. It's too hot to eat outside during the day. I don't really miss bars or restaurants anyway. We order take out fairly regularly. We pre-pay and it's dropped off on the front porch and they send a text. Venues, movie theatres, museums, galleries etc are still closed. I think the malls are open and most shops. Baseball is on. Champions League, Europa League. And hockey and basketball although I don't care about those. I've been to the beach several times. I'm still furloughed from work, the Mrs works from home. At the moment schools are supposed to open in September, although I don't think we'll be sending our daughter back immediately.

Not so far away as previous ex=pats....but here in the Dordogne kit is peak tourist season (despite COVID-19). In other words way too crowded to go anywhere really. Despite being retired I still design websites, although obviously pretty quiet now. Usually a lazy wake up around 09:30 (outside of school holidays)....a fun breakfast with my wife and two young sons (7 and 18 month...yeah...I know...). Day is usually taken up with looking after the garden...then late afternoon a bottle of wine and play in the pool.

Schools started briefly before the summer holiday and will do again on 1 Sept...bus picks up my seven year old outside the house.....he leaves at 08:30 and gets back at 5pm....still learning French.

Spring and Autumn are the best times......low key picnics along the river Dordogne....we don't eat out very much....this year we have veggie patch with tomaties/salads/pumpkins/chillies etc. I can get most sports online.

What do I miss? Real ale and Fish and Chips from the Cardiff Road Fishbar, Aberaman, Aberdare!!!

You are retired with a toddler?! Nice work. How did you manage that?

Ive got a mate with 3 young kids who retired in his 30s. Not materialistic, and people would inexplicably pay him silly money to do his job as was. One day he checked his spreadsheet (he is that sort of person) and realised he didnt need to work any more. I'm still not sure if I envy him or pity him, but he and you must be in quite an exclusive club.

Ex-pats? You mean tax-evading, sun-seeking British economic immigrants who speak English only, refuse to integrate and are suspicious of anything foreign, yeah?

I live just outside Geneva and the work life balance is pretty good at the moment despite covid.

Just spent the last two weeks on annual leave where we stayed in the region, opting not to travel back to the UK for the time being. But thanks to good weather there was plenty to do in the local area, whether it's hiking in the Jura, paddleboarding in Lac Léman or just tending to the veg patch in the garden. Took my three year old to swimming classes at the local lido along the lake and he's attending a sports club this week before returning to nursery next week. So it's been good to find activities to keep him amused during these times. Also got ourselves a labrador a month ago which has really been great for the family, particularly for my son who is more than happy to help join in with early morning walks etc...

My son will start school next year, the schedule is a mix of half days and full days with Wednesday off... However we are fortunate that we have the in laws living nearby to help out.

As for work, I generally average about 45 hours a week and currently work a mix between home and at the office. Public transport is very reliable and I live about 15 km from the office and door to door it takes less than 25 minutes to get there. Masks are mandatory on the train as well as in stores and majority are following those conditions.

Obvious benefits of being here lifestyle wise is the access to enjoy the outdoors throughout the year. Lake is less than 5 minutes away by bike in the summer and the mountains from door to the nearest piste is approximately a 30 minute drive away. So it's a nice easily accessible split throughout the year.

As is probably known cost of living is high, took a bit of getting used to when I first moved here. If you use the cost of a McDonald's Big Mac meal as a measuring stick, it's approximately CHF15 which is £12.50 in UK. But not everything is that extortionately expensive by comparison with the UK.

What I miss from back home is obviously Cardiff City match days. Heading to The Cornwall for a drink before the game and chatting with familiar faces. As well as family and other home comforts such as chip shop chips and stores being open on a Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Maeterlinck View Post
    Ex-pats? You mean tax-evading, sun-seeking British economic immigrants who speak English only, refuse to integrate and are suspicious of anything foreign, yeah?
    Dont forget them reading The Sun, eating s full English for breakfast and a roast dinner whilst still receiving their winter fuel allowance.

I've worked here and paid taxes for over 30 years...don't let marbella be your thumb of rule

https://youtu.be/G9FggJE1HjY

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I've worked here and paid taxes for over 30 years...don't let marbella be your thumb of rule
    Only kidding and couldn’t resist. One question, would you ever come back?

Well...I worked in the UK for over 45 years....several of them commuting by train from Newark to London (2 hours each way door to door).... I pay taxes here in France since 2013...Don't believe what some people think about ex pats living abroad.

I am lucky enough to have a second life after my first wife died in 2011 after 40 years marriage - we had no children...we always said whoever is left must start a new life. Met and married a girl from Thailand...who has presented me with two beautiful little boys....so hyes...I am very lucky.

First Team

Lagos, just don’t even think about it. The only positive is that the local Guinness is really good. However, you really need to avoid everywhere aside from Victoria Island as the crime is out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by SuisseBluebird View Post
    ..... Heading to The Cornwall for a drink before the game and chatting with familiar faces. As well as family and other home comforts such as chip shop chips and stores being open on a Sunday.
    Hey..that was always the pub I went to as well!!! Always a full English and a few pints before walking to the ground....
    Switzerland is lovely - but as you say, very expensive. Two years ago we spent time in Saas Fee....great place.