+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There's a "raft" of clubs after Neil Etheridge....................

There's a "raft" of clubs after Neil Etheridge....................

according to Wales Online with Birmingham leading the way apparently;-

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...nship-18801404

If he does leave, there's surely no need for another keeper - Joe Day can be the back up and George Ratcliffe could be third choice.

Re: There's a "raft" of clubs after Neil Etheridge....................

As good as he is, we need to strengthen in other areas so a decent fee could go towards that

I can’t see Etheridge being keen on a move to Birmingham, I don’t see them competing at the top end of the championship next season

didn't we get a hefty offer for him after relegation from a prem team ?

in hindsight would have been great to take that!

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post

I think if that was really true he would have gone

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    according to Wales Online with Birmingham leading the way apparently;-

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...nship-18801404

If he does leave, there's surely no need for another keeper - Joe Day can be the back up and George Ratcliffe could be third choice.
    Birmingham sounds about right. He's not going to any club who like to build from the back or need a keeper with the ball at feet. He's the worst goalkeeper i've ever seen when kicking the ball from the floor or a back pass, on times he couldn't even clear the opposition midfield. The rest of his game is sound though.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post

We turned down a lot from Villa, didn't we? I think we will get a decent fee given the amount of clubs in for him and Birmingham have about 30m for Bellingham!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Birmingham sounds about right. He's not going to any club who like to build from the back or need a keeper with the ball at feet. He's the worst goalkeeper i've ever seen when kicking the ball from the floor or a back pass, on times he couldn't even clear the opposition midfield. The rest of his game is sound though.
    Wait til you see Joe Day . I was at Wigan away and Jesus H Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    This .... I see no point or benefit of weakening this position in the squad.

If Smithies gets injured early season we're FUBR

Really? **** me, it can't be that difficult a skill to master. Maybe i'm being a bit harsh on Etheridge, but he just couldn't seem to put his foot through the ball for some reason. Smithies has got a right 'Ping' on him, and with direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    This .... I see no point or benefit of weakening this position in the squad.

If Smithies gets injured early season we're FUBR
    If we're serious about mounting a promotion challenge, then i agree.

If we're serious about mounting a promotion challenge, then i agree.
    We could do something really novel and see if the player being described as the best prospect in the Academy this time last year might be up to the task and I saw quite a lot of Joe Day playing for County where he never struck me as a poor kicker despite playing on an awful pitch. Day was bought here to be back up keeper when it looked like one of Smithies or Etheridge would be leaving and he did well on loan at Wimbledon - I think our need for reinforcements is greater in other positions (e.g. right back).

The reality is that Etheridge has a year left and rather than lose him for nothing next year, it makes sense financially, particularly as we’ve already been told that most of this summer’s business will be frees, loans & swaps.
    The pandemic has made things even worse.

We obviously need to make cutback on wages especially to add in other positions. It's a no brainer for me if we can get a fee.

Yep, agreed. Etheridge and Pack/Bamba will both go, as we have cheaper cover available for both positions.
    In fact, you can see the wage bill falling almost as you watch - Richards, Ward, and now possibly Ethers and Pack or Bamba. Let's hope they spend that money wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Yep, agreed. Etheridge and Pack/Bamba will both go, as we have cheaper cover available for both positions.
    In fact, you can see the wage bill falling almost as you watch - Richards, Ward, and now possibly Ethers and Pack or Bamba. Let's hope they spend that money wisely.
    who's going to come in for pack and bamba?

Smithies has been absolutely brilliant this season, such a positive. Wouldn't mind Etheridge going, no idea of his wages/contract but should get at least £5M.. no? Although having said I'd be happy for him to go, still think we'd need better back up for Smithies, as someone else has alluded to in this thread, Joe Day - My ****ing god he is awful and stealing a living.

No surprise.. he's a great stopper and a lovely guy. Sad to see him go if it happens.

It was a comical performance from both Day and Etheridge (what he was thinking charging out of his goal like that when he got injured is beyond me), while Day was so bad Warnock stopped Smithies from going out on loan

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We could do something really novel and see if the player being described as the best prospect in the Academy this time last year might be up to the task and I saw quite a lot of Joe Day playing for County where he never struck me as a poor kicker despite playing on an awful pitch. Day was bought here to be back up keeper when it looked like one of Smithies or Etheridge would be leaving and he did well on loan at Wimbledon - I think our need for reinforcements is greater in other positions (e.g. right back).
    Sounds complicated, much rather throw £10k a week at some 35 year old journeyman to sit on the bench

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Smithies has been absolutely brilliant this season, such a positive. Wouldn't mind Etheridge going, no idea of his wages/contract but should get at least £5M.. no? Although having said I'd be happy for him to go, still think we'd need better back up for Smithies, as someone else has alluded to in this thread, Joe Day - My ****ing god he is awful and stealing a living.
    With a year left on Etheridge’s contract, we’re more likely to get in the region of £2m, which sounds like a familiar number*...

As for the others, I’d like to see Pack, White and Flint moved on. Bamba will probably stay as a player/coach.

*Kieffer Moore transfer fee.

Really? **** me, it can't be that difficult a skill to master. Maybe i'm being a bit harsh on Etheridge, but he just couldn't seem to put his foot through the ball for some reason. Smithies has got a right 'Ping' on him, and with direction.
    It is absolutely amazing how Warnock found the one goalkeeper in the football league that is worse at kicking than Etheridge. Day wasn't really at fault for the goals but I am so glad Etheridge got injured, Smithies has been marvellous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think if that was really true he would have gone
    Indeed , it was like the alleged 17 million Zohore .

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I can’t see Etheridge being keen on a move to Birmingham, I don’t see them competing at the top end of the championship next season
    And their John Lewis is closing in the Bullring .

Ultimately he's far too good for the bench in the championship. He should be starting for a good Championship club and if it wasn't for the form and quality of Smithies then he would be for us.