+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluebirds pre-season crowd application rejected

Bluebirds pre-season crowd application rejected

The Welsh Government has rejected a bid from Cardiff City to stage a pre-season friendly with a limited number of fans in attendance.

The Bluebirds wrote to the Welsh Government proposing to stage a test event in a home friendly against Cheltenham Town on 1 September.

Cardiff City Supporters' Club says the club sent a 40-page document to the Welsh Government outlining their aim.

However, the request was rejected and the fans have expressed disappointment.

Cardiff City Supporters' Club's Vince Alm wrote in a social media post that the Bluebirds' submission included contributions from academics, the English Football League (EFL) and other sporting bodies and clubs including the Welsh Rugby Union, Swansea City, Glamorgan Cricket Club and the Football Association of Wales.

Cardiff, fellow Championship side Swansea and League Two club Newport County will all begin their campaigns on Saturday, 12 September, but their fixtures will be played behind closed doors until further notice.

The Cymru Premier League, Wales' top football division, will return on Friday, 11 September after the Welsh Government granted the division elite athletic status, but fans will not be permitted initially.

The Welsh Government has announced two sporting test events for the coming weeks, a triathlon competition at Pembrey Country Park, Carmarthenshire, and a car rally at Trac Mon racing circuit on Anglesey.

The events will see a maximum of 100 people able to gather. It is understood Cardiff City had hoped to host around around 2,000 spectators for the pre-season friendly and would have opened one stand.

Pilot events have already taken place in England while Scotland's First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, confirmed sports stadiums there could reopen to fans on 14 September with restricted numbers in attendance.

First Minister Mark Drakeford said the aim of holding the sports events over the coming weeks was to "learn from how we can safely hold outdoor events while maintaining social distancing".

"We will also learn from pilots being conducted across the UK, in reopening professional sport and indoor theatre to supporters and audiences, so we base our decisions on the best possible evidence available," he said.

"We will continue to talk with event organisers about the possible resumption of some other activities later in the autumn."

The Welsh Government said the events would be subject to strict risk assessments.

"In three weeks' time, if these events have been successful and the virus remains effectively suppressed, I hope I can say those sorts of events can become more routinely available in Wales," Drakeford added.

The EFL says that no proposals for test events with fans have yet been ratified.

"The EFL continues to work closely with the Department for Culture, Media and Sport and the Sports Ground Safety Authority regarding proposals for pilot events to take place, with all EFL clubs having aspirations to allow the return of fans into stadiums as soon as it is safe to do so," a spokesperson told BBC Sport Wales.

"As yet, all proposals await approval and therefore no further details can be provided."

Re: Bluebirds pre-season crowd application rejected

Vince Alm speaks for everyone!

Just have a few thousand ball boys in the stands

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Just have a few thousand ball boys in the stands
    "Ball Retrieval Assistant" is what we must call them these days.

Missed opportunity.

Would have been 2 - 3,000 at most if it was a normal pre season friendly.

This would have been a great chance to use the game as a test event.

International

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    "Ball Retrieval Assistant" is what we must call them these days.
    unless they're jacks, then they're time wasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Missed opportunity.

Way to sensible for our looking forward Welsh Goverment, as you say perfect opportunity to test the process , establish the risks and fix in readiness for the bigger events.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Missed opportunity.

If the Government in Westminster are trying to get some semblance of football with spectators going in the next couple of months it seems the people at the Bay don't want anything to do with it judging by this reaction. It seems they want others to do the risk assessments with limited spectator participation and then use their results for sport in Wales. Hardly an even handed approach.

On a second issue I wonder what they'll be saying when the rugby comes around?

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    If the Government in Westminster are trying to get some semblance of football with spectators going in the next couple of months it seems the people at the Bay don't want anything to do with it judging by this reaction. It seems they want others to do the risk assessments with limited spectator participation and then use their results for sport in Wales. Hardly an even handed approach.

StT.
    <><
    There's rugby being played today. Llanelli v Cardiff.

No crowds.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post

StT.
    <><
    Of course, while England continues to record 1,000 cases, Wales recorded 34. France, apparently, have crowds back in the football. They are recording 4,000 cases daily (not saying that is football related, but obviously things are more "normal" there but cases are spiking.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Of course, while England continues to record 1,000 cases, Wales recorded 34. France, apparently, have crowds back in the football. They are recording 4,000 cases daily (not saying that is football related, but obviously things are more "normal" there but cases are spiking.
    Ratio of cases to population 1000 cases in England wouldn’t be a million miles away percentage wise to 34 cases in Wales.

I appreciate that it's easy to socially distant 2000 people in the stadium but I think it's the sheer numbers involved that's the reason it was rejected. I'd expect smaller crowds first (albeit in smaller capacities) to be allowed as test events initially.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I appreciate that it's easy to socially distant 2000 people in the stadium but I think it's the sheer numbers involved that's the reason it was rejected. I'd expect smaller crowds first (albeit in smaller capacities) to be allowed as test events initially.
    they are currently letting limited number in to watch the " top tier netball league, the suncorp super league " in Australia, they are leaving a few seats between each group

No surprise really. Guess the Welsh Gov will wait & see what’s happens in England & Scotland first. Welsh Gov always seems to follow. Hopefully no probs & then partial crowds will be allowed back in.

International

Another example of lack of leadership. "Follow me I'm right behind you!" I think it's not about not wanting to take the slightest risk for the population because there is risk in everything we do, it's more about not taking risk for his own benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Another example of lack of leadership. "Follow me I'm right behind you!" I think it's not about not wanting to take the slightest risk for the population because there is risk in everything we do, it's more about not taking risk for his own benefit.
    Quite the opposite WG is showing leadership. The virus is still all around us and is ready and waiting to do its worst. There are crowds down my way in Pembrokeshire. No chance of social distancing in coastal towns.
    I think it reasonable to wait till the holiday season over and the kids go back to school before allowing spectators into stadiums. In many way the risk is not at the stadium but the travelling to and fro on buses and trains.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Quite the opposite WG is showing leadership. The virus is still all around us and is ready and waiting to do its worst. There are crowds down my way in Pembrokeshire. No chance of social distancing in coastal towns.
    I think it reasonable to wait till the holiday season over and the kids go back to school before allowing spectators into stadiums. In many way the risk is not at the stadium but the travelling to and fro on buses and trains.
    I suppose you could say it is leadership to sit on your hands and do nothing until someone else tries it out and either succeeds of fails first, bet it isn't a type of leadership I ever knew.
    He actually said they will wait to see how other people get on before they try it. In other words follow!

I suppose you could say it is leadership to sit on your hands and do nothing until someone else tries it out and either succeeds of fails first, bet it isn't a type of leadership I ever knew.
    He actually said they will wait to see how other people get on before they try it. In other words follow!
    Out of interest, how would you describe Boris Johnson’s leadership style? I’m assuming (perhaps wrongly) you’re comparing Drakeford with the UK PM?

International

Sorry, just to add to my reply, you say there are crowds down west and imply that it is not a good thing because of lack of social distancing. Explain how allowing that is leadership. And I fail to see any connection at all between children going back to school and folks going to sports events. The 2 things are poles apart.

Banned

20 cases in Wales today.

Close to 1000 in England.

Your criticism of Drakeford is that he doesn't act quickly (I assume in comparison to Johnson). The figures show he is currently getting it right?

“the Bluebirds' submission included contributions from academics, the English Football League (EFL) and other sporting bodies and clubs including the Welsh Rugby Union, Swansea City, Glamorgan Cricket Club and the Football Association of Wales.“

Not surprised it got rejected. I wouldn’t even open the envelope with all that cross-contamination.

International

20 cases in Wales today.

Close to 1000 in England.

Your criticism of Drakeford is that he doesn't act quickly (I assume in comparison to Johnson). The figures show he is currently getting it right?
    My criticism is based on him not the welsh government. He is only getting it right because he is sitting on his hands and seeing what everyone else is doing then making the least controversial line.
    You or I could do that. If he had to make the decision himself we'd still be in full lockdown and the welsh economy, aready suffering more than it needs to ,would be totally fecked.
    It is always easier to sat 'no' to something and maintain the status quo than it is to say 'yes' and lead. The Newport relief road is a perfect example

Banned

My criticism is based on him not the welsh government. He is only getting it right because he is sitting on his hands and seeing what everyone else is doing then making the least controversial line.
    What are you basing this on, out of interest? And, what do you think he should be doing differently?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Ratio of cases to population 1000 cases in England wouldn’t be a million miles away percentage wise to 34 cases in Wales.
    Wales 1 case in 100,000 people (based on 34 new cases)
    England 18 cases per 100,000 people (based on 1000 new cases)

Wales 1 case in 100,000 people (based on 34 new cases)
    England 18 cases per 100,000 people (based on 1000 new cases)
    Think your maths is way off there.