+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crowds allowed at lower Divisions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Crowds allowed at lower Divisions

I read today that clubs playing in or below the seventh level of the English League pyramid, will be able to allow crowds back to their games. Which is good, but aren't they likely to get bigger crowds, because there would be an interest in watching any sort of 'live' football?
    So let's say Merthyr are playing at home, and open their gates. Aren't there likely to be a number of fans in Cardiff, Newport and Swansea who might go along, just to get their 'fix' of live football? And won't that sort of defeat the whole point? Instead of a small crowd, causing few problems for social distancing, all of a sudden there'd be a much larger one, with all the problem that would bring.

Re: Crowds allowed at lower Divisions

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I read today that clubs playing in or below the seventh level of the English League pyramid, will be able to allow crowds back to their games. Which is good, but aren't they likely to get bigger crowds, because there would be an interest in watching any sort of 'live' football?
    So let's say Merthyr are playing at home, and open their gates. Aren't there likely to be a number of fans in Cardiff, Newport and Swansea who might go along, just to get their 'fix' of live football? And won't that sort of defeat the whole point? Instead of a small crowd, causing few problems for social distancing, all of a sudden there'd be a much larger one, with all the problem that would bring.
    F*cking hell, three bubble trips to Penydarren Park

I cant imagine that any tickets will be available on the day and sales will be strictly limited.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    The English FA have said 15% of the ground/stadium. In Merthyr’s case Penydarren Park can hold 4500(?) so it’ll be 675. Still much larger than their usual attendances.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    The English FA have said 15% of the ground/stadium. In Merthyr’s case Penydarren Park can hold 4500(?) so it’ll be 675. Still much larger than their usual attendances.
    I doubt Drakefiord would allow it considering he’s not allowing crowds in WPL.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I doubt Drakefiord would allow it considering he’s not allowing crowds in WPL.
    I saw the two sports he’s allowing spectator tests Triathlon and a car rally. Strange choices.

They can barely muster 200 these days

When you consider the demographics of their support Covid19 had the potential of wiping two thirds of it out.

Didn't they spend a load revamping the clubhouse etc recently? I was delivering skips there for the building work. As I was reversing up past the old turnstiles (Park Terrace) I looked in my mirrors and a very large JCB Telehandler was running down on its own from the ground and smashed into the turnstiles. If I was fifteen seconds earlier it would have mashed me into the side of my lorry as I worked the controls. By fate I had stopped at the bottom of the road to let an old Granny cross over which took roughly fifteen seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Didn't they spend a load revamping the clubhouse etc recently? I was delivering skips there for the building work. As I was reversing up past the old turnstiles (Park Terrace) I looked in my mirrors and a very large JCB Telehandler was running down on its own from the ground and smashed into the turnstiles. If I was fifteen seconds earlier it would have mashed me into the side of my lorry as I worked the controls. By fate I had stopped at the bottom of the road to let an old Granny cross over which took roughly fifteen seconds.
    Sounds like a very close shave!

Yeah they had a grant for that. Set up is first class to be fair. Supporters Trust can’t do anymore, they really drive the club organising all manner of events but the support from the town just isn’t there.

12 quid walk up is a lot for that level mind.

Which is a real shame

Last time I went there was for a pre season friendly when loads of idiots went up on the train and acted like dickheads

Time before cardiff fans in the merthyr shed spent most of the time slagging off a young josh low rather than just watching the game

Highly embarrassing

When you consider the demographics of their support Covid19 had the potential of wiping two thirds of it out.

They could have 3 fans there and there would still be a different factions. Never known a fan base like it.

They could have 3 fans there and there would still be a different factions. Never known a fan base like it.
    They got a right collection of beauts amongst their support.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Which is a real shame

Last time I went there was for a pre season friendly when loads of idiots went up on the train and acted like dickheads

Time before cardiff fans in the merthyr shed spent most of the time slagging off a young josh low rather than just watching the game

Highly embarrassing
    That was about 15 years ago.

I went to a few games last season but it’s got very political down there.

Loads of Yes Cymru nonsense. Keep politics out of football I say.

I went to a few games last season but it’s got very political down there.

Loads of Yes Cymru nonsense. Keep politics out of football I say.
    I’m with you on that. I got no issue with the Yes Cymru movement but they seem to have targeted football in Wales to some extent and can be a pain n the arse with their opinionated views.

That was about 15 years ago.
    Which one ?

Either way it was feckin sad as feck

I’m with you on that. I got no issue with the Yes Cymru movement but they seem to have targeted football in Wales to some extent and can be a pain n the arse with their opinionated views.
    whats yes cymru ?

Is it plaid ?

whats yes cymru ?

Is it plaid ?
    Its a separate pro independence movement, doesn't contest elections

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Its a separate pro independence movement, doesn't contest elections
    https://mobile.twitter.com/indywalesfans?lang=en

Not sure on these either. I’m open to their views but don’t see the need at a Wales game. I engaged one or two when I was allowed on Twatter. Sensitive souls

https://mobile.twitter.com/indywalesfans?lang=en

Not sure on these either. I’m open to their views but don’t see the need at a Wales game. I engaged one or two when I was allowed on Twatter. Sensitive souls
    I don't really get it when people complain about politics in football and it seems to be uniquely British (well English). Look at a number of foreign clubs and they have political affiliations, whilst the whole idea of supporting a country is inherently political

Anyone who says politics should be "kept" out of football hasn't been paying attention recently. Manchester City and PSG are two of the biggest clubs on the planet now and are only there because human rights abusing states wanted to make themselves look nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I don't really get it when people complain about politics in football and it seems to be uniquely British (well English). Look at a number of foreign clubs and they have political affiliations, whilst the whole idea of supporting a country is inherently political

Anyone who says politics should be "kept" out of football hasn't been paying attention recently. Manchester City and PSG are two of the biggest clubs on the planet now and are only there because human rights abusing states wanted to make themselves look nicer.
    Hmmm...

Celtic/Rangers. Yes, the so called political affiliations of each club add an extra edge to an already poisonous religious differences but in all honestly is not needed.

Interestingly, the Man City situation makes me smirk due to the owners known human rights abuses whilst St. Pep of Catalonia cries about the Spanish government. Add perhaps the most prominent political football
    club Barcelona who shacked up to Qatar.

I'm not sure marching for independence from Clwb Ifor Bach is needed and all the antagonism it could bring.

First the record, I'm more than open about independence, just don't think I'd go to a football match to discuss it.

there was one bloke who worked for the FAW who said to me at a wales away game that cardiff city ruined merthyr I said I knew of people from the merthyr area whose main team was cardiff but would also watch merthyr and the real reason for merthyrs decline was the fact it used to be a big town , comparatively but had been overtaken by cardiff , newport and swansea

He was very odd as was his mate who became all Welsh nationalist and started supporting Barry instead of cardiff

Very odd pair

there was one bloke who worked for the FAW who said to me at a wales away game that cardiff city ruined merthyr I said I knew of people from the merthyr area whose main team was cardiff but would also watch merthyr and the real reason for merthyrs decline was the fact it used to be a big town , comparatively but had been overtaken by cardiff , newport and swansea

He was very odd as was his mate who became all Welsh nationalist and started supporting Barry instead of cardiff

Very odd pair
    It still has a decent population, bigger than Nailsworth, Cleethorpes, Burslem, Accrington and Fleetwood who all have Football League sides and not far off a number of others

Its just easy/fashionable to blame Cardiff City for all the problems in Welsh football

Very odd pair
    For a bit of balance and fairness...

They’ve still got a great fanzine going and whatever can be said about some of the characters within their support their Trust owns and manages their club (that’s another story mind).

The FAW lad (the one I know) is a great lad. Intelligent, good company and got a bit of charisma in fairness. He is politically minded but doesn’t push it on people.

I grew up in Aberfan, now live in Merthyr. City always had more supporters in the area even though it was a close run thing when City were in the darkest, deepest dungeon years and the Martyrs were in the Conference.

The truth about Merthyr’s football decline is they’ve been owned, managed by a collection of fuucking halfwits. Personally, they should try and join the Welsh pyramid system.